Hey all

6.5 Bandit

Just wanted to say hi to everyone... Im new to the site but by no means am i new to this great sport.. I have been LR hunting since i was just a little guy with my Dad and relatives.. Currently im shooting a 6.5/300 WWH... Got a Hart 30" bbl with a 8 twist shoot 139gr. Normas with 85 gr of H870..

Wecome aboard 6.5

Now your talking. A died in the wool 6.5/300 Weatherby shooter.
Have been using that one for many years too, along with others.

I have a bunch of the 139 gr bullets left but mainly shoot the 142 Sierra MK with 85 to 87 grs of WC872 (like H870) in my 30" Hart barreled (8 Twist a must), Sako actioned, laminated heavy stock, LR rifle.

I have found over the years there are better cartridges but the 6.5/300 is a dandy.

We had a Bowling ball hanging on a chain at 1450 yards at a shoot out we have every year.

I hit that ball with my 6.5 and the 142 gr Sierra MK and it blew a chunk out of that ball bigger then the size of a grapefruit and it was thrown in the air about 15 feet.

A great LR rifle and 3350 FPS is about the velocity they all seem to get with the powder and bullets mentioned.

Good hunting to you
wink.gif

Later
DC

By the way----who's your Dad? I may know him.

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Welcome aboard--Always nice to hear someone new has joined us... Good luck with the 6.5..............CJ
grin.gif

Darryl,I met 6.5 down at the sportsmans show......Nice guy....He's a young buck,like me....You "OLD" guys better watch out.The young "STUDS" are coming...
grin.gif

Hey i may be young... but ill give ya a run for your money
smile.gif
.. Not sayin you couldnt teach me a lesson but every buck learns new tricks... Its not to often you run into guys that started shooting LR early.. I started LR shooting when i was 10 and hunted chucks LR since i was 12.. Most of my friends say im crazy or there is no way that you can pick off a chuck @ over 1000yds.. I get a chuckle out of that everytime i hear it...

Thanks for the welcome everyone...

Darryl i havent tried those 142 Sierra MK's yet.. Its to hard to switch when we have thousands of those 139's layin around..

My wife and I and a friend from Williamsport got 3 chucks with our 25/06s and a 25 Gibbs at 1100 yards. All three chucks were 1100 yards. Not bad for a little 25 cal.

Got two one day at 1450 yds with a 30/378.

Was told I got one at 2100 with my 338/416 Rig IMP.---Didn't go out and check. Five witnessed said it was a hit as they saw it fly backwards.

Woodchuck hunting is fun even for this "Old Timer."

Come to Williamsport and teach this "old timer" and others something.
wink.gif

Later
Darryl Cassel

Who is your Dad? I may know him.

Darryl,

My dad is Gerald Kreiser you may know him as Spike.. He and my Uncle Lester Cooper used to shoot at williamsport 20+ years ago if not longer... I will have to come up there one of these days to play around... Chuck seasons is allmost here i need to get out and find me some feilds that are not all shot out
grin.gif

6.5 Bandit

Did your Dad hunt in Cameron County in North Central PA???

I ran into some fellows in a mountain valley called "Lick Island" run.
I think that was their name.

If you find a good chuck field, you will be lucky the way they are getting shot out in some places. My old haunts are getting a bit low on numbers.

Take care and good luck.

Later
DC
smile.gif

PS---What county do you LR hunt for deer?

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl,

Not sure if they hunted Cameron i would need to ask him... But its a good possiblility..

As for LR deer i never hunted for deer LR.. But if i was to i would prolly go up to potter/tioga counties...

6.5 Bandit

Darryl, You sound alot like a gentleman i met at the sportman's show several years ago. This guy talked of shooting shooting a deer so far away it was actually in Canada. He also had several thousand 6mm 105 gr Bergers for sale.The guys with me didn't believe him and kept walking, but i knew he was serious. I also have moved up from the 6mm,with 1125 yd deer from my 300wby light gun last year.And i just bought a heavy gun, thanks to Nate. Darryl if that wasn't you, do you who was?

Ric

I keep telling these young bucks that. They don't listen for some reason.

The "Old" bucks will prevail. Too much experiance over the years. It will take these young "wippers" a long time to learn the ropes, don't you think?
wink.gif

I guess we can "help them" along the way though. Maybe it won't take so long for them to get their $hi$ together.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Later
DC
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts