Hexagonal Boron Nitride

I have some friends who got burned on the moly craze and never want anything to do with coatings again. I also know some benchrest guys that pretend to not be able to hear or speak when you mention it...

I have some friends who got burned on the moly craze and never want anything to do with coatings again. I also know some benchrest guys that pretend to not be able to hear or speak when you mention it...

Ha Ha, Yea they don't want to lose their edge.

Steve

Great read & loads of information. Thanks guys for sharing the knowledge. I just got my 6.5 SS up and running last fall. Thought long & hard about nitriding the barrel but this was my first build and I wanted to play it safe. But I'm thinking the hbn will give the 160 Matrix that little something extra.

David Tubb uses it in his competitions. Says it lowers his es and keeps velocity more consistent. Also claims it greatly helps with that first 'cold bore' shot.

The es will drop dramatically and the first cold bore shot will be the same as the 2,3,4,5,etc until the barrel starts to heat up. The falsity of Hex is that it delays bore wear. It does not. Bore wear is done buy the expanding hot gasses starting at the lands. Not the friction of the bullet as it passes through the barrel.

I believe the thought behind the bore wear is that the hBN coats the lands/barrel in the throat area, thereby protecting it from the hot gases. The jury is still out for me. I need to see more results.

This is the conclusion that you will come to on bore wear....The only things that contribute to bore wear. Overbore cartridges or how hot a cartridge is loaded to, number of rounds that is sent down the bore, if the barrel is nitrided and what steel the barrel is made out of. All other factors are internet BS. There was some truth at one time about how abrasive and corrosive the components were when the cartridge was loaded but most of the abrasive/corrosive stuff went away a long time ago!

I guess I am not a quick as some to dismiss new ideas out of hand. There is no question the hBN protects against heat. It has been successfully used in industrial high temp processes for decades. In theory, coating the throat area in a new(er) barrel with hBN should help the throat area better resist the heat from overbore cartridges. The real question for me is whether or not the hBN can be successfully transferred from the bullet to the barrel/throat area before erosion begins to occur. If it can, then barrel/throat life should be extended. Time will tell.

There are folks applying a HBN mixture in 99% alcohol carrier solution to squeaky clean bores, that claim this impregnates the bore with HBN with the first bullet fired down the bore. Then you don't have to wait for the HBN coating on the bullets to be transferred from the bullets to the bore. This is strictly armchair knowledge I collected while researching the internet. I do plan on treating my clean bore with this HBN/alcohol solution, based on what I've read about it.

I just started using it. I'm using it on 50 BMG projectiles. I tumble them in a plastic peanut butter jar in a rotary tumbler with regular old BBs for about 1 1/2 hours. Wipe clean and load. I cleaned the barrel with WipeOut foam a few times until it was absolutely spotless. Made a suspension of HBN in alcohol and ran a soaked patch in the barrel as well. After the first shoot, I had no copper whatsoever on the subsequent cleaning. I didn't have chrono data from previous shoots without the coating to compare, and apologize for that, but the load I'm using is at the high end and without the coating, I suspect I'd be showing pressure signs. I loaded quite a few rounds in sets of 3 at increasing powder charge and found the sweet spot at the second one. Group was sub-MOA. I haven't run a chrono yet. That's for next time out. After that, I'll be able to plug the numbers in the ballistic calculator and develop my cheater card for the long shots.

The biggest reason I wanted to coat was cold-bore to hot-bore consistency. From what I've read, the reduced friction lowers pressure and velocity, so you comp with increased charge (as stated previously here). I skipped the step of doing it without coating, so I defer to those with comparative experience. I only recently got the rifle and since the rounds are so stoopid expensive, I figured I'd go right to the end game without all the intermediate steps to find my sweet load.

So far, it's easy and clean to work with. I've heard Moly is a mess and fully understand that having used Moly grease on power plant components.

I'm told the barrel-coating part of it helps extend accuracy over a lot more rounds between cleaning. That part is important to me.

There are folks applying a HBN mixture in 99% alcohol carrier solution to squeaky clean bores, that claim this impregnates the bore with HBN with the first bullet fired down the bore. Then you don't have to wait for the HBN coating on the bullets to be transferred from the bullets to the bore. This is strictly armchair knowledge I collected while researching the internet. I do plan on treating my clean bore with this HBN/alcohol solution, based on what I've read about it.

Tried that last week and the first round down the barrel dropped the primer out when I ejected the case. Some 12-15 shots later of other loads I shot a second round of the same load as the first with no issues. These were loads designed to find the top end velocity with the 6.5 Sherman/140 A-Max/R26 combination(3324fps). In the future I will be firing lighter loads when first coating the bore. I also noted that it took 1 shot of a coated bullet before the velocity settled down in both my rifle which has 1500 rounds through it and my son's which only has a couple hundred.

Cliff

phorwath is your expert here. He has read every post on hBn coating. Really knows other peoples stuff.:rolleyes:

By his own admission he's coated 1000 bullets but hasn't shot them. :D

IIWM: I'd check with someone who actually shoots them, checks his bore with a scope and watches his throat erosion/movement with documented offsets from the lands and changes every 100 or so rounds.

Perhaps by PM instead of here.

Re: The Character of jfseaman, on display again

phorwath is your expert here. He has read every post on hBn coating. Really knows other peoples stuff.:rolleyes:

By his own admission he's coated 1000 bullets but hasn't shot them. :D

IIWM: I'd check with someone who actually shoots them, checks his bore with a scope and watches his throat erosion/movement with documented offsets from the lands and changes every 100 or so rounds.

Perhaps by PM instead of here.

jfseaman,
If your brain worked 1/2 as fast as your mouth and keyboard, you might be able to compete. Consistent with your continuing practice, you'll continue to suffer embarrassment, without ability to recognize your losses. You'll pretend like you've scored a victory, even after the 10 count's expired.

To the membership; I saved a Private Message that jfseaman sent to me in October, 2014. I knew jiffyman wouldn't be able to keep from rolling in his own doo-doo again, so I saved his Private Message to be able to display the character of jfseaman, expressed in his very own words.

He titled his Private Message -
I have wonderful visions, and followed it with this communication;
jfseaman said:
Of you foaming at the mouth in anger.

Poor baby...

No one should treat you the way you treat others...

And here's evidence that, at least for fleeting moments, jfseaman is able to recognize his own folly and poor presentation. If you open this link, he was trying to spell apology, and you'll read of an effort at apology, but I suspect he couldn't quite bring himself to Title his Thread correctly.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/appolgy-forum-142192/

I've had him on my 'ignore' list for many months, because that's what I tend to do - ignore folk that aren't worth my time. To the credit to this Forum, and to the discredit of jfseaman, I can state that jfseaman is the only member I've placed on my 'ignore' list since April, 2005. So I can't really speak to his behavior on this Forum since October, 2014. However his preceding post reaffirms I'd judged the content of his character accurately last fall. That about sums it up. A consistently disrespectful adolescent, beyond his years of adolescence, with an operational deficit. jfseaman, it's been good corresponding with you - again. :) Missed ya. :D

Recent Posts