Hexagonal Boron Nitride

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Did a search and couldn't find anything current. So I will try and see if we can get a discussion going if anybody has any experience with it. Good, bad, or ugly?

Steve

I just fired the first half dozen rounds out of my 6.5 Sherman and right away the first thing I noticed was how low the ES was (6fps). The velocity dropped by 41fps.

I already have a second batch of bullets coated to load up. It is very easy to use, just wash the bullets, tumble for 2 hrs. load and shoot.

Cliff

Tag,
I haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet.
Moly or Hex.
Idaho Elk Hunter has some experience. Maybe he will chime in.

I just fired the first half dozen rounds out of my 6.5 Sherman and right away the first thing I noticed was how low the ES was (6fps). The velocity dropped by 41fps.

I already have a second batch of bullets coated to load up. It is very easy to use, just wash the bullets, tumble for 2 hrs. load and shoot.

Cliff

Cliff,

If you could indulge my ignorance a bit. How are you tumbling these to add the HBN & in what? I have been seriously toying with coating the 160 Matrix for my WSM but don't want to pay someone to coat my boolits.

Thank you sir!

t

Cliff

From what I understand the loss of vel is due to lower pressure due to less friction. So options are to stay where you are or go up in charge to get pressure back where you had it. Netting in an increase of velocity.

This stuff has been around for quite a few years. Most info I have found is from '08 to '10. I am amazed at how little experience shooters have with it. So far what I have read, it looks great.

Steve

Do you have to coat your rifling in this stuff before firing any coated bullets down the tube?

I hBN coat all my bullets except those I'm using for the Nosler variants testing. That would skew the results.

Been doing it for a couple years maybe more.

Observations:
It definitely lowers pressure.
It uniforms release pressure, no "welding" to the neck.
It reduces throat wear.

Of course these are what the technology is touted to do.

Initially I was applying according to the moly method. I have simplified it.
Rock Tumbler, 3 Lb. - Save on this Rotary Rock Tumbler mine is approaching 15 years old and needs to be replaced.
1/4 lb if 1/16" stainless ball bearings
1/4lb of 1/8" stainless ball bearings
3 grains of hBN per lb of bullets.
Tumble for 1 hour.
Strain through a separator, mine is a collendar over a plastic 5 gallon bucket.
Dump on to a yellow "micro fiber" towel and buff.

I no longer clean the bullets before tumbling. Any lube is used to pick up the hBN.

I hBN coat all my bullets except those I'm using for the Nosler variants testing. That would skew the results.

Been doing it for a couple years maybe more.

Observations:
It definitely lowers pressure.
It uniforms release pressure, no "welding" to the neck.
It reduces throat wear.

Of course these are what the technology is touted to do.

Initially I was applying according to the moly method. I have simplified it.
Rock Tumbler, 3 Lb. - Save on this Rotary Rock Tumbler mine is approaching 15 years old and needs to be replaced.
1/4 lb if 1/16" stainless ball bearings
1/4lb of 1/8" stainless ball bearings
3 grains of hBN per lb of bullets.
Tumble for 1 hour.
Strain through a separator, mine is a collendar over a plastic 5 gallon bucket.
Dump on to a yellow "micro fiber" towel and buff.

I no longer clean the bullets before tumbling. Any lube is used to pick up the hBN.
Good info. Thanks, Do you not clean your barrel? Or how do you clean your barrel?

Good info. Thanks, Do you not clean your barrel? Or how do you clean your barrel?
I clean when accuracy falls off.

I forgot to add, of course it reduces copper fouling.

After each shooting session, I run a bore snake through the rifle. I use an undersize snake or remove the wire brush. 22 snake for 263/6mm. 243 snake for 260/6.5, etc...

Only patches breach to muzzle and plastic brushes for stubborn stuff.

I clean with a combination of materials. Gunzilla and Hoppes mostly. It seems there are "layers" of stuff so I go around a couple times with the general cleaners, then a copper remover, really only looking for copper. Sometimes after the copper remover EzOx, it seems to act as an excellerent for the copper removers. Sometimes I will use foam cleaner.

Then flush with Hoppes.

Finally after many patches to wipe all the stuff out. I buff the bore with FrogsLube. I believe this picks up the hBN and leaves it where I want it. In the imperfections in the barrel.

The first shot or two are usually crud but then it settles down and I can go a long time between cleanings.

I clean when accuracy falls off.

I forgot to add, of course it reduces copper fouling.

After each shooting session, I run a bore snake through the rifle. I use an undersize snake or remove the wire brush. 22 snake for 263/6mm. 243 snake for 260/6.5, etc...

Only patches breach to muzzle and plastic brushes for stubborn stuff.

I clean with a combination of materials. Gunzilla and Hoppes mostly. It seems there are "layers" of stuff so I go around a couple times with the general cleaners, then a copper remover, really only looking for copper. Sometimes after the copper remover EzOx, it seems to act as an excellerent for the copper removers. Sometimes I will use foam cleaner.

Then flush with Hoppes.

Finally after many patches to wipe all the stuff out. I buff the bore with FrogsLube. I believe this picks up the hBN and leaves it where I want it. In the imperfections in the barrel.

The first shot or two are usually crud but then it settles down and I can go a long time between cleanings.
Thanks Fred, do you think that Daisy BB's would work as a tumbling media for the hex? Or should I quit trying to be cheap, and just order the ball bearings. Haha. The BB's are more than likely zinc plated stainless steel.

Thanks Fred, do you think that Daisy BB's would work as a tumbling media for the hex? Or should I quit trying to be cheap, and just order the ball bearings. Haha. The BB's are more than likely zinc plated stainless steel.
I was gonna try the BBs. Just keep forgetting. There are copper coated and non-coated.

If I remember, I'll go to wallyworld and get some. Want some anyway.