Hexagonal Boron Nitride

I coated 400 bullets this week . 100 per 8oz jar and barely put in 1/4 teaspoon full. And still had plenty. I think I'll try 1/8th and see how it works. The biggest challenge I have with the process is washing the bullets in acetone. Does anyone have a good fool proof method they would share. Or does anyone know what kind of water proof gloves will stand up to acetone?

A target from yesterday. Developing a load in a friends 260 Remington factory M700 SS. . . He's been a cheap scoper and consequently has never got any kind of accuracy from his rifles. . I borrowed him my 10×42 SWFA SS Classic md scope so he could have a rifle to use when we went calling predators. The load is 41.4 gr IMR 4350. WLR primer top group is 140gr Nosler CCs final ( centered group) is 144 gr Lapua FMJBT. Both with the same powder charge.
The rifle has at least a 5 lb trigger pull. It was 5-10°F at the range. About a foot of snow on the ground. I was sighting it in.target at 100 yards. I need to bring my snogo to the range for checking the 300 yard targets. :).
And build a good booster seat. Whoever built the benches at the Copper Basin Shooting range must have been at least 6'4" tall and skinny. I was using my cheap MTM plastic rest and couldn't get at all comfortable behind the rifle.
The 2 fliers from the groups are due to mostly the heavy trigger. Hopefully he will get a bipod for this rifle and a good Shilen trigger. The bottom group has 4 shots in it so I know the rifle, scope and load will shoot in the .2s or better. .
Another happy thing about these loads with hbn tumbled bullets. I noticed it with my 6.5 Creedmoor also. Is several different loads will print to the same zero @100yards.
I shot the upper group. Checked the target. Came 4 clicks left and 10 clicks down then shot the lower group.
O.A.L. is 2.73" . I haven't run the velocity yet. But think its around 2700 fps.

I coated 400 bullets this week . 100 per 8oz jar and barely put in 1/4 teaspoon full. And still had plenty. I think I'll try 1/8th and see how it works. The biggest challenge I have with the process is washing the bullets in acetone. Does anyone have a good fool proof method they would share. Or does anyone know what kind of water proof gloves will stand up to acetone?

Here's the equipment I use to wash bullets in acetone. The gloves only touch the actone when I'm draining away the excess acetone from the bullets in the perforated spoon, so these gloves don't noticably degrade in this brief contact with acetone. Spoon allows most of the acetone to drain away from the bullets back into the glass jar. I place the washed/wetted bullets from the acetone bath on an old bath towel and let the acetone evaporate - outdoors. I later pre-heat the bullets to around 150-160F in the oven, just prior to vibratory tumbling in HBN powder.

IMG_1122_zpsm66dw3em.jpg

In the glass container. I put 1 1/2" acetone in the glass jar. Slide the bullets in gently with the jar tipped to the side, so as to not crack/break the bottom of the jar. Place the cover on the jar. Swirl the bullets around in the bottom of the jar for a minute or two. That's it. The bullets are washed and oil free. The acetone will remove the oils from the surface of the bullets quickly.

Then use the spoon to retrieve the bullets from the acetone solution. Place the wet bullets on a rag/towel and let them air dry for 10-15 minutes - OUTSIDE. Place the jar with the acetone on a shelf for storage and future re-use.

If you open a new box of bullets, I wouldn't even worry about acetone washing them, unless of course they look oily. I acetone wash opened boxes of bullets that I know I've already handled. Such as bullets that I've meplat uniformed, weight sorted, bearing length measured. Brand new bullets in unopened boxes, I HBN coated them straight out of their box.

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited to test this out.
I got a great deal on some pre treated Tubb bullets and some HBN to use on my 7mm.
I've only got about 25-30 rounds down my 6x284 barrel and i think it's a prime candidate for a bore treatment. And the pointed, coated, 115 Dtacs SHOULD be a good match for the caliber.

David tubs sells a neat little kit that has a little measuring device and a small plastic container that you put the bullets in and then add one scoop of boron nitride,then put in your tumbler without any medium, works great,yes decreased velocity but can gain back because pressures are lower, first shot out of a cold bore hits with warm shot, good stuff. It automatically coats bore as you shoot. my two cents

My entry into the realm of HBN.

375 Allen Magnum - 30" Pac Nor - 10 twist - 350 SMKs.

The recent acquisition of the MagnetoSpeed V3 made this possible!

Here's the results:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 148
In the glass container. I put 1 1/2" acetone in the glass jar. Slide the bullets in gently with the jar tipped to the side, so as to not crack/break the bottom of the jar. Place the cover on the jar. Swirl the bullets around in the bottom of the jar for a minute or two. That's it. The bullets are washed and oil free. The acetone will remove the oils from the surface of the bullets quickly.

Then use the spoon to retrieve the bullets from the acetone solution. Place the wet bullets on a rag/towel and let them air dry for 10-15 minutes - OUTSIDE. Place the jar with the acetone on a shelf for storage and future re-use.

If you open a new box of bullets, I wouldn't even worry about acetone washing them, unless of course they look oily. I acetone wash opened boxes of bullets that I know I've already handled. Such as bullets that I've meplat uniformed, weight sorted, bearing length measured. Brand new bullets in unopened boxes, I HBN coated them straight out of their box.

In case you don't like acetone, the 90% rubbing alcohol sold in pharmacy stores is also excellent for oil removal. It leaves surfaces super clean. Don't use the alcohol sold in paint stores, it has some kind of oily residue in it.

Has anyone had their velocities increase with their original naked bullet load and coated bullets? My 25-06 with 115gr Bergers gained about 30 fps over the noncoated ones with the same charge weight. It was a different lot # of bullets which may explain it. Everything else was the same. The pressures did appear to drop and I was able to get over 100 fps more velocity without pressure signs. My accuracy seemed to be at the original Velocity, however, so I'm thinking I need to stick with the original load or perhaps reduce it a little.

Cool !

Look at all ya bullet coaters go , like fat chicks drawn to a box of twinkies hahaha !

Didn't y'all pay attention back in the late 90's early '00's ?
Some of us have been snortin WS2 well over a decade, y'know ...... back before it was cool !

good to see you catching on and catching up, WS2 has been an awesome tool to get the lowest SD/ES for best accuracy in large capacity high velocity cartridges, Hbn works pretty much the same way but I prefer WS2 since I've got a bunch of it

The advantage HBN has over WS2 is the absence of sulfur, which when combined with moisture = potential corrosion. I don't clean my bores very often, so I appreciate the absence of sulfur.