HeviX 20ga. loads

Orange Dust

We tested both the 3" 4's and 2's. They performed exactly as expected. The 4's will kill ducks as far as any 12ga steel load. 2's tend to cause cripples, on ducks, and need to be used on geese. Pattern is just too thin for ducks. Only disadvantage vs 12ga is a narrower pattern.

Orange,

My son is using the Hevi X 3" 4's and absolutely smacking them. I saw him
shoot a very high Speck with that load and it was graveyard dead when it
hit the ground. I am a BELIEVER IN HEVISHOT

Last year it was 10 same as bismuth. This year they say it is heavier, but do not specify. It is about the same as copper plated lead, but patterns hold up better due to no deformation. 4's are the answer in 20ga for ducks. 2's for geese. Comes 25 to a box and well worth the extra cost over hevi metal. Would also be awsome for late season pheasants where non toxic is required. Im done with the 12ga. Its either a 20 or a 10 depending on where and what.

The shotgun shells like Hevi X, Hevi-Bismuth Waterfowl and Upland, Hevishot Duck/Goose definitely make the sub gauge shooter VIABLE and in many cases better than 12 gauge shooters shooting less effective shells. These shells offer better accuracy, and more energy (hit harder) even out to what is considered LONGER shooting ranges. So many waterfowl, upland and turkey hunters are really seeing the opportunities these smaller gauge shoot guns have when you combine them with superior shotgun shells like the one's Hevishot make.

TSS for turkeys in smaller gauges, but the cost right now is to high for hunting waterfoul. as more makers come on line i expect the cost to come down some.

Eastbank,
I don't agree the cost is too high and let me tell you why. I am an avid waterfowler and use nothing but what is considered higher end shells from Hevishot. This past season I shot the Hevi Bismuth Waterfowl and the Hevi X waterfowl shells. Each of them performed flawlessly and what I found is that I SHOOT LESS SHELLS to take a single duck. I don't have the clean up shots trying to finish off a cripple. When I shoot the ducks with the Hevishot the duck is taken cleanly and effectively without the EXTRA shots to run the bird down or finish them off so I actually save $ in the long run. Something to think about.

the TSS shells are running 32-34 dollars for five, i,ll spend that amount for turkey hunting(two shells this year for two birds) but not for ducks.

Attachments

• DSCN0539 (3).JPG
    DSCN0539 (3).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0580 (2).JPG
    DSCN0580 (2).JPG
    900.7 KB · Views: 162
Eastbank,
I think when you look at your OVERALL hunting expenses (lease, shotgun, camo, lodging, transportation, etc) you will find that you shotgun shells are ONE of the LEAST expensive pieces of the equation. We take A LOT of waterfowl hunters out on our places in Arkansas and I can attest to the fact that the Hevishot family of shotgun shells WORK BEST. We simply do not have near the number of cripples and the funny thing is that the hunters SHOOT less shells because they are not crippling the birds with the Hevishot so they are not forced to take repeated CLEAN UP shots to finally kill the bird. It really dawned on me a few years ago when I started noticing that I was not going through nearly as much ammo once I switched to the Hevishot shells.
Just a little food for thought.

Eastbank,
I think when you look at your OVERALL hunting expenses (lease, shotgun, camo, lodging, transportation, etc) you will find that you shotgun shells are ONE of the LEAST expensive pieces of the equation. We take A LOT of waterfowl hunters out on our places in Arkansas and I can attest to the fact that the Hevishot family of shotgun shells WORK BEST. We simply do not have near the number of cripples and the funny thing is that the hunters SHOOT less shells because they are not crippling the birds with the Hevishot so they are not forced to take repeated CLEAN UP shots to finally kill the bird. It really dawned on me a few years ago when I started noticing that I was not going through nearly as much ammo once I switched to the Hevishot shells.
Just a little food for thought.
Ain't that the truth. Between the lease and expenses, waterfowl costs me about $25k annually. Could care less about what shells costs. I shoot only 3-4 flats a season at birds, so $500/flat is pretty insignificant. We are close to Augusta, where are you?

I agree 100% Orange. I want the absolutely BEST tools of the trade that I can get and I am certain that
by shooting the Hevishot family of ammo I am giving my myself the BEST. It is amazing how many cripples
we used to have compared to what the cripples are like now since switching to Hevishot. Like I mentioned, I shoot fewer shells because there are very very few CLEAN UP shots now.

I've used the Hevi in my 28 on called in (stubble) ducks and dark geese. The little 28 with Hevi absolutely stones them!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.