Hevi-shot vs. new Remington Wingmaster HD?

jmden

Both are the same density. Both claim to be 'better' than the other. Hevi-shot says that Rem HD can crack on setback. Rem claims their shot will fly straighter (it's actually round vs. hevi-shots very strange shapes and sizes) and penetrate deeper than anything else on the market. Any real world comparisons out there? Just bought a box of 12 guage, 1 3/4oz, 2's at 1300 of the HD (haven't shot any yet and probably won't for awhile) and have shot hevishot several time sneaking on geese and brought down a few on some long shots. Any thoughts? Jon

You are wise to be careful about believing claims made where money is involved. When the Bismuth shot first came out it was claimed to be safe in all modern shotguns.

I too like to sneak along the river and shoot geese. I bulged a set of Beretta barrels using the Bismuth shot. A couple of years later Bismuth put a warning on the boxes about hard steel versus soft steel barrels.

My advice is to shoot what you know works and let others take the chance first.

HArd to beat kent fast steel. We jump shot geese with BBB, BB, and T's. 3.5" T's will roll their heads. Cheaper so you have more money to buy shells to shoot cripples.

I like pulling the trigger way too much to use those pricey HD shells. I had used the cheap kent fast steel, until I patterned them at 35 yards. There were GIANT holes in the pattern so I stopped using them. Some people claim that all of the ultra fast loads have this problem. Most of the duck hunting I do is over decoys, and the longest shots are around 50 yards, so I went with the Remington Nitro-Steel 1 3/8 oz 3-shot, 3" shells. They are listed as 1300 FPS, and seem to fold ducks pretty well.

I have shot the Rem HD #2 in my Rem SP10 and have taken Canada's out at 50+ yds but at four dallars a shot they are just to expensive to shoot for the whole season. I mostly shoot a handload of 1 1/2 oz combination of T's and BB's at 1500 fps. I get the components and data from Ballistics Products.

The Rem HD are probably the best factory load for geese or close range coyote hunting but I will take my handloads first.

I shoot 20 ga.1-1/4" 4's for ducks and geese . Real happy with the results. Wish they made 5 shot, thats all I used when lead was legal.
As a side note we happen to hunt doves in the same fields as geese. we fill the sky with lead shot at doves but when you soot geese you have to use non toxic. Makes no sense.

ive only use the HD. its ok but i prefer the blackcloud by federal. i hunt ducks out over decoys, beside creeks, rivers you name it and the blackcloud hasnt failed. Dropped ducks at 50 paces with 3in 12ga. i use a full choke also. Make sure if u do use the blackcloud you have the right paternmaster choke(if you use a paternmaster). the old paternmaster choke the BlackCloud wad would get stuck in it..... not good...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.