Here comes the JUGGERNAUGHT in a 338AM repeater

Vintec, very very nice!

But it raises one question for me, if you have the hardware,knowledge etc why then are you getting a gun smith to do the rest? no disrespect to intendended to gunsmiths, but man you obviously got the skills !

buy the barrel, reamer etc do it youself, muzzlebreaks aint all that hard to make either form personal experience.

No doubt your going to tell me its one of your crazy american laws that joe blogs cant make/finish a firearm unless your a certifed smith operatering out of a certifed workshop,and certifed machines with certified certificates on the wall to say that your certified by the cheif certifyer to undertake this kind of work:D LOL
Which after all that work I would completley understand.

Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.
best of luck
300WSMMAD

Vintec, very very nice!

But it raises one question for me, if you have the hardware,knowledge etc why then are you getting a gun smith to do the rest? no disrespect to intendended to gunsmiths, but man you obviously got the skills !

buy the barrel, reamer etc do it youself, muzzlebreaks aint all that hard to make either form personal experience.

No doubt your going to tell me its one of your crazy american laws that joe blogs cant make/finish a firearm unless your a certifed smith operatering out of a certifed workshop,and certifed machines with certified certificates on the wall to say that your certified by the cheif certifyer to undertake this kind of work:D LOL
Which after all that work I would completley understand.

Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.
best of luck
300WSMMAD

300 Thanks for the pat on the back. I am glad you like it.

As for me not barreling the rifle. There are 2 main reasons.

The frist is that I want this rifle to be a 338 AM. And I can buy correctly headstamped brass that is ready to load from Kirby.

The second is that niether of my lathes will work for threading and reaming a barrel. My lathe that has an outbored chuck to allow me to indicate both ends other barrel is to big. I would need a barrel 40" long to reach the rear chuck. The other lathe doesnt have a way to attach a second chuck or spider due to the drawbar. It would be nice if I could, it would take about 2 minutes in a CNC to turn the OD, cut the thread, and cut a relief. Not sure how long it would take to ream the chamber.

Vince

Ok I couldnt get my CAD drawing posted but I do have some pics of my part hot off the 3D printer.

This is prototype short action benchrest action. If any one has any suggestions I am open to change.

100_0937.jpg

100_0938.jpg

100_0939.jpg

Vince,
Man you got some cool toys to play with, the 3D mock up is way cool.

Move the load port foreward but leave a gap between the front of it and the lug abutments and make the eject port as short and far back as possible for the cartridge you are using so you don't throw the cartridge straight through when loading in a hurry (it does happen often).

I hope you aren't using a factory Rem bolt in the final product.

Since this is a long range website, do you have a cant built into what appears to be an integral Davidson scope rail?

James

James,

Thanks for the advice, I will shorten the ejection port.

For my long action and cheytac repeater I machined the bolts. But for this short action I am going to use a bolt from PTG.

For the scope rail the ridge on the action is not canted. I machine a picatny rail with a slot to fit over the ridge. The picatny rail dose have a cant

Vince

Very Nice , and Very Impressive ... How about a LB ,Dual Port , I know a guy who could use one for a Pistol .....lol.
Great Stuff ... Wish you all the best on this project..
Ray

Vintec,

Who needs CAD Drawings when you can rapid prototype? I loooooove all that your doing with your engineering knowledge. No one where I live has this kind of machining/prototyping equipment, so no chance for me to do the same. Looks like you've got the same ideas rolling around in your brain to. What CAD software are you running? I digitally printed mine in JPG and uploaded them to photobucket, before posting here. Hey, I've got an idea for integrated brake. If your interested, PM me. Great job, and keep us posted.

Shane

Shane,

I use MasterCam for all of my design work. It is also what I use to program my CNC machines. However I really like Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks for pure drafting and design applications. with those programs you can test for function of mating parts before you cut anything, and you can do finite analyis of loads and stress on parts. PM incoming

Vince

It's has been more then ten months sincec we got the project started. I kind of wish I had went with the 375 just from the barrel life stand point. I think it will be to much fun to limit the number of rounds I put down the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.