Here comes the JUGGERNAUGHT in a 338AM repeater

I admit after seeing the ''home made'' warning flag I was scepticle. But after seeing that.......WOW! Im impressed! Nice job. Looks mean already,and doesnt even have a bbl yet. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Good luck, and Nice work!

When I started reading it said "home made," I was thinking I cant wait to see this but man its awesome. Really stout and different looking in a good way. Good work and good luck with it!

I am glad you guys think my "home made" action turned out well. I would probably be scepticle to reading home made. I may have cheated a little, I have a couple Okuma CNC's to work with.

I had alot of fun making this. It will be very satisfying to get it back and hopefully take a trophy class animal with it.

I am gonna have to start working out or hire a caddy to carry the magazine.

Vince

Get an FFL, i would seriously buy one. That thing looks AWSOME! i think as soon as you point that thing in the general direction of a trophy he will drop is antlers and wave a white flag while going the other way!

Im still in highschool and therefore pretty ignorarant when it comes to college/uni coureses, what did you study or where did you get the skills do this kind of stuff?

Oliver

Oliver,

I am glad you like it. I hope the horns dont fall off. Its hard to make an antler sandwich. They would make rather crunchy jerky.

My degrees are industrial and mechanical engineering. However most if not all my machine shop expiernce came from doing an internship while in school. If you are really intrest in the machine shop trade there are some schools that teach truly hands courses. But most of your colleges teach more theroy than getting it done skills. Let me know waht your intrest are. I will try to point you in the right direction.

Vince

Last edited:
vintec,
did you go with a .750 bolt, or something along the lines of a BAT action in a .717 bolt?

Did you use a Sako extractor and is it in the bolt lug like a Lawton or above it like a Remington conversion?
Plunger ejector?
Tenon length diameter and thread pitch?

By your description the bolt bore and raceway were plunge EDM cut as opposed to gun drilled and wire EDM cut. I don't think I have heard of any other actions done that way. I have heard of others considering doing it though.

Very nice work by the way.

James

Looks to me to be 2 actions in the pic also. Very nice craftsmanship to produce an action that looks as good as any custom out there. Gorgeous.

James,

The extractor is above the lug like a conversion. Pluger is located in the 3 oclock postion.

Tenon length is 1.7" 1.1875x16tpi

The hole was drilled then wire EDM cut. Wire cutting like watching paint dry, I could not imagine using a ram edm to plunge thur. Sorry should have clarifed.

Vince

Did you use a Sako extractor and is it in the bolt lug like a Lawton or above it like a Remington conversion?
Plunger ejector?
Tenon length diameter and thread pitch?

By your description the bolt bore and raceway were plunge EDM cut as opposed to gun drilled and wire EDM cut. I don't think I have heard of any other actions done that way. I have heard of others considering doing it though.

Very nice work by the way.

James

Do I see a spare action in those photo's?

Not quite a spare, it is differnt size. That one is 9.25" OAL I am going to use it for a Lapua based repeater. It also has .750 bolt, but the lugs are only .700 long. The big one has .800" long lugs they are alomst as big as the lugs on a TAC50. But the .700" long lug is still plenty for a Lapua or even a CT.

I am also working building me a smaller action for bench rest. ( the guys on the bench next to me love my Juggernaught #1 in a 338RUM) LOL

I am thinking a dual port short action. Based on the same basic design. I should have the soild model ready in the next few days. The I will print one off using a rapid prototype machine. (basicaly a 3D printer) I will post some pics as I make some progress.

Vince

I did some design work this weekend, working on my dual port short action, same basic design. It is 1.35" wide and has 1.5 " of barrel tenon. I have my CAD drawing in solid model. If someone could tell me how to save a screen image in a format I can post I will put it up

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.