Hensoldt 3-12x56 SSG-P

CHESTERWOLF

Hi Guys

Maybe our sponsor is best placed to answer this question and I am sure they have been asked this question before so maybe the answer should be on this forum; but I would appreciate an answer from anyone.

The Hensoldt 3-12x56 SSG-P is priced about $5000
The Hensoldt ZF6-24 x 72 is priced about $3750

I assume the glass and build quality is the same?????????????

The 72 has a bigger lens and bigger zoom

So why does the smaller SSG cost $1250 more???

Last edited:
The SSG-P pricing is due to scarcity and the fact that it is a very specialiced military scope. It is an improved version of the earlier Hensoldt SSG. Biggest improvements over SSG are adjustable parallax ( hence the P in the model designation ) , increased elevation travel ( from 7 mils to 11 mils, single turn, internal elevation range is naturally greater ) and different laser filter/lens coatings.

Main features that differentiate the SSG/-P from other riflescopes are:

* Integral quick release picatinny mount.

* AA batteries for the illuminated reticle. ( a smart logistics decision for a mil scope IMHO )

* Contains two separate first focal plane reticles, the mil-dot reticle and an index reticle. The index reticle indicates mils of elevation and can be zeroed using a small turret on top of the scope, right in front of the main elevation turret.

* All controls except for elevation are on the righthand side of the scope tube: Windage, parallax, rheostat.

The biggest downsides to SSG/-P are the lack of elevation for ELR and mounting height. The integral mount is designed to allow the use of night vision equipment. On AR type rifles that often require risers, this is not a problem, but on a bolt rifle, the LOS-bore distance can be 3"+. Also the scope is relatively heavy for a 3-12x , but it should not be forgotten this contains the weight of the integral mount system.

1280129166.jpg

reticule_hensoldt3.jpg

While JRu is correct in most ways. The price of the scope is not due to the scarcity or rarity of the scope.

As some of you may know the SSG-P is the German Military Sniper scope, and thus when the contract was filled for them the price went up.....why you ask?

The Scope body is a casting that is then machined to final dimensions, well these casting where cheaper when they (Carl Zeiss Optronics) were buying them in bulk, and now the smaller quantities that they buy the castings are more expensive.

There is some serious work that goes into making the SSG-P, it is made to the same standards that every one of our scopes are made to, the image quality is on par with any of our other 56mm scopes, the 72mm scope is in a league by itself. The center line height was also made to line up perfectly with our clip on Night Sight, the NSV 80. As for an AR, we can try to throw one on an AR to give you guys a rough estimate of how high or low it is.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have and I will check back every couple of days to answer them. Thankyou and take care

Austin Cook
HDC Sales and CS

Thank you very much indeed – that was a comprehensive reply and much more than I dared hope for.
Now I have some serious thinking to do about my next purchase.

As I am now communicating with you gentlemen whom clearly have a excellent knowledge of Hensoldts, I have some more questions that have been gnawing at me for several weeks.

I am told the Hensoldt ZF 6-24 x 72 has the FL glass with an anti glare and other mystical coating. How does this compare with the Zeiss Sports optics version with its FL glass and LotuTec coating??

While I understand the Hensoldt is a military scope; is there any reason when selling to the civilian market they cannot reveal a similar amount of information about the scope that Zeiss Sport Optics reveal about the civilian version?
There are differences between the two versions, so why not say what they are so one may make an informed choice?

What is the story with the elevation turret on the Hensoldt ZF 6-24 x 72?

Best regards

Last edited:
The 6-24x72 Hensoldt has the Zeiss T* Coating, FL glass, and an additional coating to meet Mil-Spec requirements for abrasion. Our turrets are non locking and have more travel than the comparable 6-24x72 Diavari. Also everything in the Hensoldt 6-24x72 is a little more rugged, to hold up to Mil-Spec requirements.

Differences in Hensoldt 6-24x72 and Diavari 6-24x72:

Hensoldt has more abrasion resistent coatings on the lenses to meet Mil-Spec requirements, internals are more rugged Mil-Spec again, non locking turrets, microprocessor illumination system, more internal adjustment range, color coded numerals on elevation turret.

If there is anything else that I can be of help with please fire away.

Thanks,

HDC
Importer and Distributor of Hensoldt Optics

The price of the scope is not due to the scarcity or rarity of the scope.

(...)

now the smaller quantities that they buy the castings are more expensive.

Well this was my point really but I articulated myself poorly. The point was that to my knowledge SSG-P are made in small batches, which always brings up the price. Admittedly I'm not an expert on the business side of scopes so I probably should've just shut up.

the image quality is on par with any of our other 56mm scopes, the 72mm scope is in a league by itself.

It's been a while since I last looked through a SSG-P but as far as I know/remember, the laser filter coating is integral, which invariably leads to a brownish tint. The same effect can be noticed in the Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56T "Finndot" that was made by Hensoldt to fill a custom order for the Finnish 8.6 KIV 2000 sniper rifles ( Sako TRG-42 338LM ) . It is not a big deal but still a slight step down from typical Victory Diavari optical quality.

The Hensoldt ZF line carries the laser filters as external accessories, can't remember the part no off the top of my head, though. But the ZFs' optical quality is second to none, including the S&Bs.

I've been around SSG-P's for years. They're honestly not my cup of tea but carry some innovations that would've prevented a whole lot of headaches, were they implemented in some more conventional scopes. Outside the mil world the index reticle, laser filters, AA battery compartment and night vision compatibility make for little to no use, the elevation travel is really limited ( my custom "double turn" Zeiss Diavari can outdo that ) , and the weight / bulk is a bit much for 3-12x.

BUT, a main tube integral picatinny mount should really be the ONLY way to mount ANY scope on a rifle, also all controls should always be ( at least as an option ) on the right hand side because when prone, you can remove your firing hand without disturbing your position, the same cannot be said for the support hand.

shootin073.jpg

Thank you for your informative replies

Looking at JRu's picture of the reticule
In the bottom right quadrant there is a scale 0 -11 with an arrow pointing at 1
It appears that one can observe either the magnification power or the elevation setting through the lens; which is it?

JRu is correct on the elevation. But I will elaborate a little.

It is an 11 mil scale, that the arrow travels up and down as you turn the elevation knob. It allows you to know where you are on the elevation travel without having to come out of the scope to see. Also makes milling targets pretty easy.

Take the arrow and put it at the tip of the target, look at the knob and see how many mils it is, then do your calculations and rock on.

Austin @ HDC

The 3-12x SSG-P is a very cool scope. I love the Hensoldts 4-16x56mm I'm testing out. I my just have to keep it.

Mike @ CST

yeap , interesting scope to be sure .

I really like the indicated E setting , and I find it surprising that it has not been copied .

But like most others , I dislike the limited amount of E , and the very high bore height .

Elevation.
JRu

Thank you for the information

JRu is correct on the elevation. But I will elaborate a little.

It is an 11 mil scale, that the arrow travels up and down as you turn the elevation knob. It allows you to know where you are on the elevation travel without having to come out of the scope to see. Also makes milling targets pretty easy.

Take the arrow and put it at the tip of the target, look at the knob and see how many mils it is, then do your calculations and rock on.

Austin @ HDC

Austin

Thank you for the elaboration; this scope deserves very serious consideration for my next purchase.
If I proceed I will buy from HuDisCo this time round to take advantage of the better warranty Hensoldts have in the USA

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts