Henrys 22 smooth bore

CF96

Well I was trying to get ahead of Christmas and get my daughter her first 22. We bought a Henrys 22 lever and when we got home I found they had mismarked it and was a smooth bore. Didn't even think of that! The store said they would trade out but none to trade for. So I may just keep it and try to find something else.

Wondering how they shoot bird shot or normal 22 ammo. Guessing 22 ammo not so well with no rifling. Anyone ever been around one? Anyway an extra gun never bad to have I guess

Way back in the last century there was a category referred to as "garden guns". They were generally pistol caliber shotguns meant for very short range pest control.

There was also a mini version of trap and skeet game called Mo-skeet-o.

Yes it's funny how I keep coming up with things or things to use the rifle for! Wouldn't use much but handy when you need it.

My brother had an old Remington falling block he thought that the rifling was shot out so he had it bored and lined then chambered for long rifle rounds instead of longs . How sad ruined a good antique rifle due to not knowing any better and wouldn't listen .

I'm not a changer on the old guns or unique ones. Can't ever get them back for sure. Too many common pieces out there to play with

Well I was trying to get ahead of Christmas and get my daughter her first 22. We bought a Henrys 22 lever and when we got home I found they had mismarked it and was a smooth bore. Didn't even think of that! The store said they would trade out but none to trade for. So I may just keep it and try to find something else.

Wondering how they shoot bird shot or normal 22 ammo. Guessing 22 ammo not so well with no rifling. Anyone ever been around one? Anyway an extra gun never bad to have I guess
The "garden gun" shoots a decent pattern with birdshot. Just don't expect much past 20 feet or so. We have sold several in our shop with no complaints. Imho keep it and go back for a rifled one when your local shop gets one in. Henry is behind now (like most) but are producing asap. Good luck!

The smooth bores aren't shotguns, but they have probably double the effective range of a rifled barrel.

Last edited:
I had a friend who had one of the original garden guns, A 9mm smooth bore, Shot a rim fire brass and paper shell.
He had a full box of original shells too. He said, "The box of shells was worth more than the rifle."
Some of those old guns and shells a more valuable than many people realize. Better not to do anything to them till you do some research on them.

Funny how some ammo and cartridges are worth more than the firearm! My dad has an old pump rifle that ammo is hard to come by and if you do, don't want to shoot it. I guess it helps make them classics

I had a 95% condition S&W model 1913 for a few years. It was chambered for 35 S&W. I had a whole box of original ammo with it. The guns are pretty uncommon, but they show up from time to time.

I was able to sell it for $1200 because of the box of ammo I had for it.

They make 22 RF shotshells. handy for pests at close range and snakes. Also great for popping balloons.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts