Helping my brother in law get an Air Venturi Avenger for my sis!!

codyadams

So my big sister has always been a good hunter, and has hunted since she was old enough to do it. She was never in to long range, until I started doing it and going out with her. Since then, she has taken pronghorn at 850 yards, 700 yards, and this year took her deer at 865 yards, all perfectly placed shots. I have seen her lay down several half MOA 1000 yard groups with my rifle, so I know she has that down. She loves my rifle, but doesn't really want to commit to building her own, and also I have done all the dialing, wind calls, and everything else for the shot. I would like for her to learn this art for herself, so maybe she will put together a rifle and I will have another shooting partner!

So her husband told me they had a varmint problem in their garden...so with some of my own motivations in mind, I suggested they look into getting a good PCP air rifle. He thought was a good idea for a Christmas gift, and gave me $500 to get her a good set up. Well I shopped around, and got her a 22 cal Air Venturi Avenger, a hand pump, scope with target turrets and rings for under $500, and after trying out a few different pellets, I will spend the rest of the $40-50 on a load of those pellets. This will be a great set up, she can take care of the varmint problem in her garden, then come to my parents place 10 minutes away, and I will set up some steel swingers out to 150 or so yards for her to practice dialing, estimating wind and shooting!!

Now this gun is pretty unique for the price range, $299. It has a max fill of over 4,000 psi, which may be concerning considering she will be filling with a hand pump, however, it also has an ADJUSTABLE regulator, as well as an adjustable hammer spring!! So the reg can be set as low as 1700 PSI, the hammer spring set low, and still send an 18.1 gr. JSB around 800 fps, and she can fill it as low as 2800-3000 psi and still get a ton of shots. With this reg set low, and the hammer spring set low, and filled to max, people are seeing around 130+ shots a fill!! Now with the reg turned up to 3000 PSI, and the hammer spring turned up, it will shoot the JSB 25.39 grain pellets at over 900 fps!! So in other words, this is an incredibly versatile PCP rifle. Note, they also make it in 25 cal if you want a ton of energy, which can give up to around 60 ft-lbs.

As of right now, all the components are being shipped, and should be here early next week. I intend to tune it up to be an air sipper and function well with a low PSI fill, I have JSB 15.89, 18.13, 25.39, H&N 14.66, Crossman Premier 14.3, and RWS Superpoint 14.5's to try out. From reviews I have seen, in low/no wind condition .5" or less 50 yard groups are very doable with a good tune and pellet, and hovering around 1" at 100 yards, so I'm excited to see what this gun will do. I will report back my findings!!

So my big sister has always been a good hunter, and has hunted since she was old enough to do it. She was never in to long range, until I started doing it and going out with her. Since then, she has taken pronghorn at 850 yards, 700 yards, and this year took her deer at 865 yards, all perfectly placed shots. I have seen her lay down several half MOA 1000 yard groups with my rifle, so I know she has that down. She loves my rifle, but doesn't really want to commit to building her own, and also I have done all the dialing, wind calls, and everything else for the shot. I would like for her to learn this art for herself, so maybe she will put together a rifle and I will have another shooting partner!

So her husband told me they had a varmint problem in their garden...so with some of my own motivations in mind, I suggested they look into getting a good PCP air rifle. He thought was a good idea for a Christmas gift, and gave me $500 to get her a good set up. Well I shopped around, and got her a 22 cal Air Venturi Avenger, a hand pump, scope with target turrets and rings for under $500, and after trying out a few different pellets, I will spend the rest of the $40-50 on a load of those pellets. This will be a great set up, she can take care of the varmint problem in her garden, then come to my parents place 10 minutes away, and I will set up some steel swingers out to 150 or so yards for her to practice dialing, estimating wind and shooting!!

Now this gun is pretty unique for the price range, $299. It has a max fill of over 4,000 psi, which may be concerning considering she will be filling with a hand pump, however, it also has an ADJUSTABLE regulator, as well as an adjustable hammer spring!! So the reg can be set as low as 1700 PSI, the hammer spring set low, and still send an 18.1 gr. JSB around 800 fps, and she can fill it as low as 2800-3000 psi and still get a ton of shots. With this reg set low, and the hammer spring set low, and filled to max, people are seeing around 130+ shots a fill!! Now with the reg turned up to 3000 PSI, and the hammer spring turned up, it will shoot the JSB 25.39 grain pellets at over 900 fps!! So in other words, this is an incredibly versatile PCP rifle. Note, they also make it in 25 cal if you want a ton of energy, which can give up to around 60 ft-lbs.

As of right now, all the components are being shipped, and should be here early next week. I intend to tune it up to be an air sipper and function well with a low PSI fill, I have JSB 15.89, 18.13, 25.39, H&N 14.66, Crossman Premier 14.3, and RWS Superpoint 14.5's to try out. From reviews I have seen, in low/no wind condition .5" or less 50 yard groups are very doable with a good tune and pellet, and hovering around 1" at 100 yards, so I'm excited to see what this gun will do. I will report back my findings!!
How is it going with that avenger? Is it working out fine and are you still happy with it? I'm looking around at the different options n getting other pples opinions

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts