Helpful suggestions or how to build an adjustable cheek pad for rifle stock

ODAVID

Does anyone have any experience in building an adjustable cheek pad for a rifle stock. I would really like the adjustable type where the stock is cut as opposed to the type with the shield that bolts on the outside of the stock.

Last resort is an email site telling of someone that is capable of altering my stock with an adjust cheek pad.

thanks
odavid

Do you have a wood stock. If so cut it like you see on tacticals.Then in the check piece install 2 threaded rods,put c clips on these and turn to desired hieght,these rest on stock and thrread stock goes into lower stock. Then you need a small set screw to drill threw side of stock and intersect thread stock and hold in place.Loose set screw and pull out if needed for bolt clearance for cleaning

OK NOW i JUST NEED TO MAN-UP AND CUT MY PRETTY WOOD STOCK:rolleyes:????????

Do you have any suggestions or experience on black plastic "tupper ware" stocks. I think most of them are hollow. So I know those kind would need some kind of filler like fiberglass resin then follow your steps and that should work.

If any one out their in cyber land has some experience with photos that would be helpful.

I wonder why this has not be brought up before????

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELPFUL ADVISE. This is much better then me building up the stock comb with padding.

In video section there is a scope mounting one.Done by a military shooter.He takes a wood riser with 2 pins down and is held on by a stock pack.I use a Eagle stock pack.Pull pack and shim when you need to clean rifle or remove bolt,cheap and easy.I dont need a shim on my low scope mount stock pack is just enough.

I'm thinking about doing this modification to build a stock myself. If I get it done I'll post pics. I'm a hobby machinist so I'm sure I can do it right, just gotta find the time. --Jerry

I took a different approach to this situation. Not unusual for me. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that as like the fella who goes to ACE Hardware and gets a drill motor, drill bit index, center punch and hammer when all he wants is a hole.:)

All I want is when the cheek touches the stock the sight picture is "there." There are many ways to achieve that condition. The trend seems to using delrin, bending it properly, drilling holes in the stock then allowing up/down adjustment with some fancy screws.

The other way mentioned is to very carefully cut out a piece of the stock do some drilling, insert some rod, all thread and an adjusting nut. Doing this and ending up with a rock solid system doesn't seem compatible with the unskilled hand. :)

On the negative side drilling, cutting and inserting stuff on a piece of choice wood or a $700.00 or so stock does nothing but devalue it. :rolleyes:

So, use self sticking velcro, a wooden or leather spacer of the proper thickness (personal to you) and a piece of leather cut to shape and you have what you want with no marring of the stock and is quickly removable for cleaning etc. It always goes back to the original position. A proper slant, with a little bit of tinkering, can also be repeatably achieved.
th_IMG_2124.jpg

Removing the cheek rest is easily done. Goof Off removes the velcro sticky. The stock isn't devalued.

If you want to be the talk of the range use leather with the hair on. :D:D

Attachments

• IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.