Help!

For those of you who choose to crimp [and some do] do you do it as a separate step or simultaneously with seating like you'd do with roll/taper crimping handgun ammo? Having never crimped rifle ammo is it possible that you can put too much crimp on which results in collapsed necks? I can envision a properly made seating die having the crimping ring at the SAMMI optimum length distance [2.294 for an .06 case] when the die bottom contacts the shellholder.
I do it in the same stroke if the bullet you are using has the cannular groove...maybe just me but I see no advantage to do it twice

Insert case into shell holder, run case up , screw the die down until IT Contacts your case NECK, back the die off an 1/8 , This is extremely common mistake.
And when I say it's an extremely common mistake...I know...I've been reloading for 48 years and had it happen in the early years a number of times when going to new calibers....but I learned after crushing the first shell! Not seven or eight...lol

They were not sized, brand new. I never run new brass through the die unless the mouths are visibly our of round. I have never had this issue before but if your suggestion is to run every piece through the die I will.
All the new brass I obtain gets resized. I went thru a similar situation, also with new brass I use a Qtip with case lube and lube the inside of the neck. Then a one hour in tumbler. No more problems. HTH

expander button too high possibly, sometimes I try to get the button up high so the expander catches just after neck sizing, easy to do with forster dies...but they really run smooth with the button high

I am loading some ADG brass this weekend for my 300PRC and this happened. The load is 84.0 grain of N570 with a 245 grain Berger EOL and it is a compressed load. The load shows no signs of pressure on the case after firing and no heavy bolt lift. These are all brand new cases, first loading. any insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using Hornady Custom Dies. COAL is 3.70View attachment 201005
Looks like the neck is so tight that it crushed the case when you tried to seat it .

Hornady rifle dies do not crimp. I have had the problem with Peterson Brass, I believed their claim that they were ready to load so I did not run through an expander die, Well I did after the first load attempt. By the way, they make great brass the problem was mine.

Looks like the neck is so tight that it crushed the case when you tried to seat it .

Maybe. Maybe not. I FL sized a .25-06 case with no expander. I was able to seat a 6.5mm bullet into that case with no issues.

Since the OP was able to load the same load with other cases it seems safe to say that he knew what he was doing. The only difference seems to be that he was using ADG cases [he didn't say what brand the others were] therefore I would look at the ADG brass as being the problem.

Wrong die? Check it! This happened to me when putting a bullet in a .243 case when I thought it was a .220 Swift case....looks almost identical.

I am having the exact same problem with my ADG 6.5 PRC brass but it happens when I resize it. Does not necessarily happen on the first, second or third time I load it. What I mean by that is I may shoot, anneal, resize a case several times and it is fine only to collapse like this on it's 3rd or 4th loading. Happens in about 1 in 50 rounds. When it happens it takes very little effort fo make it collapse.

Attachments

• 4A480C67-73D7-4BA4-AB7E-5E648AC08E79.jpeg
    4A480C67-73D7-4BA4-AB7E-5E648AC08E79.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Brass from factory- to much annealing? To soft? Can you pinch the case mouth closed by hand?

Cartridge Brass-
Material is 70 copper/30 zinc with trace amounts of lead & iron , called C26000. Material starts to yield at 15,000 PSI when soft (annealed), and 63,000 PSI when hard.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts