Help!

I have had this happen too. Hornady one shot will not affect your primers. Put all the cases in a tray and spray so the angle is right and get some inside the necks. Wait a minute for it to dry and then load. Might not do any favors for your SD,s but al least it will save your brass. Load some plain bullets. Say some 150 sierra,s with a powder that will get you up to pressure. Once shot and then sized again your shoulders should be tough enough this problem should go away.

Saw similar results when my buddy loaded virgin Starline brass for his 300 win mag. We figured it was the guide sleeve in the seating die binding up
Yup that's happened to me in the past. I've also had manufacturing burrs at the case mouth cause extra tension so I generally chamfer and deburr all new cases. Dry lube is another great idea. I've used Midway Mica for that. Hard tellin not knowin.

New factoty brass. Ok. No experence with Hornady seating die.

The system includes a floating bullet alignment sleeve, could be a problem?

If the seat die crimps, the crimper may be contacting the case mouth to soon. Back the seat die out , so the crimper doesnt make contact.
I agree with this. If the die has a built in crimper, the die may be screwed down too far and it is allowing the crimper to make contact with the case mouth. Try backing the die out a ways.

They were not sized, brand new. I never run new brass through the die unless the mouths are visibly our of round. I have never had this issue before but if your suggestion is to run every piece through the die I will.
Well then there is your problem. New cases should always be put through a full length sizer to get all the cases uniform.

OP's responses indicate the die screwed down too far is NOT the problem. I'm with those that suggest the new cases should be run over the expander ball in the size die, and deburred. I think that'll fix the problem.
No need to run them all the way into the sizing die, just over the expander ball until the neck passes it, then back out again.
And by all means, no harm in taking apart the seater die and make sure there are no burrs or other issues with the sliding sleeve.

Good luck,
Rex

If this is happening during seating, without a doubt the bullet is struggling to slide in the neck. Like others have mentioned and my personal routine is to run every piece of new brass over the appropriate expanding mandrel then full length size. Couple of pointers here that I have learned through bad decisions on may part, new brass and SS tumbled brass is so dang pretty but it has a very resistant to seating. I have not tried dipping the necks in dry graphite but read an article (from can't remember whom but it was in regard to a GAP 6.5 Saum brass prep maybe "senderoman" or something like that) but he was rolling the necks in ceramic beads with mica graphite believe and that worked for reducing friction during expanding. If I use the Hornady one shot I through about 20 cases in a gallon bag and spray a good bit then roll the brass around good, I make a mess just spraying the brass and don't seem to get good results. I personally don't want any lube on my brass when powder goes in so if I think there is I will walnut tumble for about an hours. I have rambled a touch here but I think measuring you neck ID will reflect and undersize neck, and running over an expander then sizing die will remedy this.

***ignore 100% of this, I some how completely missed the fired brass description.

Last edited:
Talking to hornady the Max grain of powder of H 1000 they wanted for a 180 grain bullet was 82 grains. You using 84 grains for a 245 grain bullet seems like a lot. I understand its different powder but it still seems like a lot for that weight of bullet

I am loading some ADG brass this weekend for my 300PRC and this happened. The load is 84.0 grain of N570 with a 245 grain Berger EOL and it is a compressed load. The load shows no signs of pressure on the case after firing and no heavy bolt lift. These are all brand new cases, first loading. any insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using Hornady Custom Dies. COAL is 3.70View attachment 201005
[/QU

Did these cases look like this before or after they were fired? I am not disputing what you have written in the post, just doesn't make sense, especially if they came out of the chamber looking like this "after" they were fired, these cases should match the inside measurements of the chamber in the rifle; fire formed. Just because the brass is "new" brass it does not mean that it is within factory specs. From the photo it appears that the length of the brass it too long. I suggest starting with the basics and work up from there. I would first measure the brass to find out if it is within factory specs, anneal, tumble/clean the brass after annealing, trim the brass if necessary, trim to length, chamfer inside/outside of case, full-length resize, if possible full-length resize with the neck sizing ball removed and mandrel size the necks with a Sinclair mandrel die. From the photos the cases look like they are too long, or perhaps the brass is over annealed and too soft. From the photos it appears that the juncture where the neck meets with the shoulder it larger than the outside of the case????????? If all else fails I would contact ADG and let them know about the problem, send the company photos if possible.

Last edited:
Those cases are toast. Awhile back I fire formed some 6.5-06AI cases from Nosler .270 Win brass and also 2 cases using some older Winchester .270 Win brass. I FL sized all of the cases with no expander. When I went to expand the necks to .263 so I could turn them, one of the Nosler cases and and both of the Winchester cases collapsed at the neck just like yours did only not quite that bad. During the turning process I had to re-expand some of the necks in order to get the .262 turning mandrel to enter the case neck. Bullets ended up seating with no problems. I can understand how a sharper shouldered case like the 6.5-06AI could have the shoulder collapse, but not so much the .300 PRC.

I think you have crappy brass where the shoulder is too soft. Have you contacted ADG at all? If not, you should.

FWIW I assume that anyone making new brass intends that it be ready to load as is.

Had the same issue not too long ago. The issue is that you set the hornady dies different than others. Go through their setup video. *If memory serves* you put a piece of brass in and bring it fully up in the press and then screw the dies down. Review the video and you'll be fine.

I agree with most about running new cases over an expander. My new ADG brass had a very tight "donut" right at the shoulder neck junction causing a very tight fit for the bullet. I expanded the cases and turned the necks enough to take off the donut that was pushed out. Yes I know you are not supposed to be that far in the case neck but my 6.5 PRC shooting 143 ELD-X's even with the .188 freebore and just off touching still fall below shoulder neck junction.

Ok, you need to chamfer and de bur ADG brass. (I do any new brass) I also run them through my expander mandrel die (No sizing) to round them out and feel for any loose or tight cases. As far as bullet seating lube goes I have a tub of the Hornady unique lube, same lube I size with, And rub a very fine amount on my left finger tips (Thumb and fore) and apply to the bullet just above the boat tail with a quick twist between my fingers before setting it in the case. Again this is a very fine amount, similar to getting some oil off the side of your nose amount. You should feel very little resistance feedback in the press lever when seating.

I have two boxes of ADG 300PRC brass from their first two batches and haven't had any issues like this. I did chamfer and deburr the brass before loading.

There was very little resistance in seating the 225gr ELD-Ms in the virgin brass. How much pressure did it take to do this? Did it feel like excessive neck tension when you were seating?

I am loading some ADG brass this weekend for my 300PRC and this happened. The load is 84.0 grain of N570 with a 245 grain Berger EOL and it is a compressed load. The load shows no signs of pressure on the case after firing and no heavy bolt lift. These are all brand new cases, first loading. any insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using Hornady Custom Dies. COAL is 3.70View attachment 201005
You have the die too low and you are hitting the crimping seat! No doubt about it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.