Help!

Well it says .308 on the box but I didn't check them. The first ones sailed down the barrel to a nice tight .644 group with no issues so I am pretty sure that is not the case but thanks for the thought. My head is up my ... on a regular basis it seems these days according to my bride. :)

Well it says .308 on the box but I didn't check them. The first ones sailed down the barrel to a nice tight .644 group with no issues so I am pretty sure that is not the case but thanks for the thought. My head is up my ... on a regular basis it seems these days according to my bride. :)
Oh my friend that happens at the I Do! Well I think it's safe to say a .338 won't go down your barrel. My brass that mushroomed like that I salvaged by working in and out of the resizing die nice and slow till they were down to accept .277 bullets. There was still a slight bulge but it fireformed out. Now I couldn't tell the difference!

I don't know if the die is coming into contact with the brass itself but I have had this problem when I was running some ADG brass through an expander mandrel and this was after I had re-sized it. I put some dry lube media inside the case neck and the problem went away. I would try it and see. Just get a q-tip and get some of the media on the q-tip and run it around inside the case neck and then turn the case upside down and tap it on the neck end lightly to get any excess media out.

Redding dry lube media.
8C9B8C20-1226-4057-9CA3-A27F41121AB9.jpeg

Did you screw the seating die in until the crimp shoulder contacted the case and back the seating die out 1 full turn before seating the bullets?

They were not sized, brand new. I never run new brass through the die unless the mouths are visibly our of round. I have never had this issue before but if your suggestion is to run every piece through the die I will.
To my reloading ear, that sound a lot like the hunter who buys a rifle off the rack and never sights it in before going out for first day of the season.
The fact that some would crunch, some would go OK indicates they are NOT all the same spec.
I don't care who manufactures it, even if they're the best, ADG, Peterson, Lapua, or Norma -- Size, prime, fill, seat and optionally crimp.

When it happened to me, the necks were just too tight, and the sharp shoulders of the first driving band on the Barrnes LRX I was seating caught on the case mouth and pushed the whole shoulder down... I had seated about 6 or 8 rounds before it happened and they were fine...

I've seen this with a maladjusted die (guilty) and improperly sized necks. What's the ID of the case neck? If you're around 0.306"-0.307" and chamfered the issue likely lies with Your die setup. Best of luck.

By not at least sizing the necks you are trusting the brass manufacturer to provide you with an ID that will provide consistent neck tension. Why not eliminate that potential variable, followed by some case mouth prep. and backing your die off to eliminate case contact. Good luck and let us know what you find.

I am a bit confused about the original post. Was the ADG brass used on the first firing also and then this is being loading with new ADG brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.