Help!

Allen Kitts

I am loading some ADG brass this weekend for my 300PRC and this happened. The load is 84.0 grain of N570 with a 245 grain Berger EOL and it is a compressed load. The load shows no signs of pressure on the case after firing and no heavy bolt lift. These are all brand new cases, first loading. any insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using Hornady Custom Dies. COAL is 3.70
IMG_0941.jpg

New factoty brass. Ok. No experence with Hornady seating die.

The system includes a floating bullet alignment sleeve, could be a problem?

If the seat die crimps, the crimper may be contacting the case mouth to soon. Back the seat die out , so the crimper doesnt make contact.

Last edited:

This is also how i adjust my RCBS rifle seat die.

Your boatail bullet should act as the expander. Some lube inside the case neck may help seating.

I load new brass in 243 , no sizing.

Last edited:
I don't know if the die is coming into contact with the brass itself but I have had this problem when I was running some ADG brass through an expander mandrel and this was after I had re-sized it. I put some dry lube media inside the case neck and the problem went away. I would try it and see. Just get a q-tip and get some of the media on the q-tip and run it around inside the case neck and then turn the case upside down and tap it on the neck end lightly to get any excess media out.

Redding dry lube media.

Lube i use is RCBS 2 and a nylon brush. Some use a dry lube.

A Q-tip can leave unbalanced amounts (glob) of lube in the necks, using Lee lube. A boatail bullet will trap lube, more on one size, causing runout.

I would just run the new cases over an expander mandrel, or even the expander ball of a normal die set. Use a tiny bit of graphite case lube or swab a Q-tip in imperial wax and use it to lube the necks.

Some of the ADG brass just comes with case mouth openings that are just too small to go right to loading.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.