Help...

Wizbang

Looking to buy an AR-15 don't really know what cal. Or brand/model to get want something that would be good quality and able to shoot distance and hunt yote/pdoggs suggestions please... kind leaning twords a 5.56 nato or 6.5 or what ever i dont know help please thanks looking forward to yoir reply thanks!

wizbang,

The more you can tell us about your needs, the better the suggestions will be to fill them. What sort of distances are you wanting to shoot? What sort of optics? What type of investment do you want to make here? And perhaps most importantly, do you reload your own ammo?

Let us know, and we'll see what we can come up with.

Hey thanks for your reply kevin. I'd like to shoot to 400-600yrds or more... i have no clue on optics ill pay up to 700$ 800$ for optics... I'd like to stay under the 1700$ range for the AR and yes i will be reloading hope this narrows it down more thanks again

Oh yeah, you can definately do something within that price range. Id suggest taking a look at the various makers out there, watching for;
1, something shown as a Match barrel that is NOT chrome lined. Avoid chrome lining like the plague, it's pure death where accuracy is concerned.
2, something that is floated. These will usually be listed as Varmint or Match configurations, but the result's the same. Simple guide to AR accuracy; start with a good barrel, and float it. The rest is icing.
3, something with a good trigger. I like two-stage, but that's a personal preference. If you want to step into an aftermarket down the road, that's a better step yet.
4, figure out what other features you like, and look for those in the right combination. I'd suggest trying Rock River first, as I think they probably offer more models/options that will be in line with what you're looking for,

Take a look at their website, and see if there's any models there that jump out at you, and we can chat a bit more after that. Might also check the other makers as well, but Rock River is where I'd start.

I bought a DPMS in 223 with a 24" heavy ss barrel with a 1:9 twist. Shoots about everything from 50-70 grains into a .25 MOA. Won a bunch of 200 and 300 yard egg shoots with it.Only changed the trigger to a RRA 2 stage Match. I have about 2000 rounds through it and it's still holding tight groups. My buddy has a Bushmaster Varmint in a similar configuration that performs as well. He installed a Jewel, 2 stage trigger. Both feed perfectly. Lots of good off the shelf AR's out there.

I'm new to ARs as well. It's exciting stuff. I ended up trading a 300WM for a POF lower and Adams Arm upper with a White Oak Match Grade Barrel. I went with a 6.8 SPC. I was going to go with a 5.56 but wanted a little more knock down power. I will mostly shoot coyotes while I'm scouting for my archery deer hunts, but I thought I may want to be able to hunt deer with it sometime so I went with 6.8. I've been able to find plenty of ammo for it. While not as cheap as 5.56, it's less expensive than the match grade .308 I buy for my bolt gun. I also have an AAC 7.62 suppressor on order so I don't scare all the deer out of the county when shooting yotes and lions, (I'm in AZ).

POF is a great brand but you'll need to find one used to stay in your price range (they're around $2K new). They have some high quality parts and a nice barrel. If I wouldn't have found someone to do a trade that's what I would have bought. I've had my hands on one and they're sweet.

Good luck!

You ALL are full of BS. There is nothing out there under $2000 that is worth a bat's turd!! You gotta go AR-10 because it's 'more'; you gotta shoot thicker than 6.5mm because it is 'more'; you gotta stay above 3000fps because it is 'more'.

In short, if it ain't the mostest, brutalest on your wallet and shoulder it isn't worth shooting. Or so would say an acquaintence of mine.

In my cabinet I have an S&W AR clone and a bolt action 6.5mm. IMO, the one-gun shooter with an AR platform in 6.5mm has all the bases covered--a bit heavy for P-dogs, adequate for everything up short of bear, moose and elk. But even those three are covered given modest range with a judicious bullet and good placement.

****, that almost sounds like a one-gun endorsement. Buy a second upper and a shooter can show up in camp with a light and a heavy caliber, shying away from nothing that is offered in the field.

Thank you Mr. Stoner for your design! Our hunting lives would not be the same without it!

I went through 3 larues before I gave up.

When they say 1 moa they mean it.

mine sometimes shot around 3/4 though.

yes, larue makes one hell of a gun, but there is something going on with the upper's design that i dont understand.

just for fun, i dropped my matched krieger bolt and barrel in my 18" LT and guess what.... my .1-.15 shooting krieger became a 3/4 inch gun.

theres stress in there somewhere i believe.

i love larue tactical and have probably 2/3 of the mounts they make, but i wouldnt consider them a varmint rifle.

that being said, i know a guy that has a tackdriver from them....lucky man...but dont take a $1500-$2000 chance.

give John Hollinger a call at White Oak Armarment.... thats where id buy my upper if I were you Whizbang. then get a larue scope mount....and bipod adapter... and one of those cool dillo grenade t shirts.

One more thing in larue's defense.... I never did miss a critter of any kind with those rifes. they must have one heck of a consistent cold shot.

It's too bad, I used to be able to build a couple of ARs for that kind of money. You might be able to still, and build for two different calibers.

Now it seems I just have to take at least two rifles to camp.

If you are not sure on caliber yet, make your first one a 223. Make sure you have a wylde chamber and a barrel with an 1 in 8 twist. barrel length is largely personal preference. Mine has a 20" wilson barrel. If nothing else 223 is DIRT CHEAP TO SHOOT. with the right bullet choice you can target shoot at the 600 yard line and slay coyotes and most any vermin beyond ranges most folks have any business trying. Once you get your feet wet, with help of some alternative calibers, you can hunt anything with horns and hair if you exorcize common sense and KNOW WHEN NOT TO SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER.

I will forewarn you now, with AR's YOU NEVER STOP AT JUST ONE. It really is a disease.

I will forewarn you now, with AR's YOU NEVER STOP AT JUST ONE. It really is a disease.

I'm sure that there are plenty of guys out there that have put together more 15s than I have. I honestly lost count. I can't count so well, anyway. Is there any indicators of when I need to start going to BRDA meetings?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.