Help Working up Long Distance .223 rounds

oneyeopn

I have collected everything but the bullets and I have some IMR 4895 powder that has worked well for me in a lot of loads. I am trying to build some long distance bullets for my Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport, under 300 yards it is like shooting a laser, but I want it to shoot accurately further. I have a 1-8 5R barrel and would like to draw upon other peoples knowledge as to what has worked well for them in shooting long distance. Right now I am just punching paper and really cant for see any game to hunt other than Praire Dogs or Coyotes at the long ranges. I have a 4-16x40 scope on it, I put a 8-32x42 scope on for a while but the field of view was such that shooting at a running coyote would be very difficult. The rifle is accurate enough for the higher power scope. Presently I am shooting federal 55gr XM193 5.56x45 bullets and was thinking about loading in the high 60's low 70 grain bullets. I would just like some input on what other distance shooters are doing and thinking when it comes to their AR's. I dont shoot tactical and dont have all the stuff hanging off of it. Am going to have to replace the trigger but can work up loads before that. With the 8-32 scope I am shooting 1/2 moa at 200 yards and cloverleafs at 100 so the rifle has the ability. I just need some guidance in going the right direction. Thanks
DSCF3786a.jpgDSCF3787a.jpgDSCF3788a.jpg

DSCF3790a.jpgDSCF3791a.jpgDSCF3792a.jpg

gun)

The 8 twist will prefer somthing a little longer projectile.

You can try the Sierra 77 grainers or Bergers but my 8 twist loves the 65 grain SGK's.

I want to be able to hunt with mine which drove me to the 65 grainers since the 75 gr Scirocco's would not do as well.

I believe my accuracy load for 20 inch ar-15 with 8 twist was 23 gr varget and 65 grain SGK, but the usual litigation and safety stuff, start low, work up watching for appropriate signs etc...This resulted in 1/2 moa repeatedly.....

Mine has a 8 twist barrel and absolutely loves 70 grain bergers with 24.5grains of Varget. Seat the bullets to magazine length. We shoot often to 940 yards.

thank you gentlemen...I do believe I will start lower and work my way up but I am going to see what I can get a hold of locally between the 67 and the 70. I too am using mine for hunting predators and want the longest, accurate reach I can feasibly get. Thanks Again.

Shooting a "tricked out" Bushmaster with a 1-8 twist, 18" free floated barrel. Found a load that consistently shoots less than .50 MOA.

23.8g Ramshot TAC
69g Sierra Match King
Wolf Primer
Winchester Cases
OAL=2.260"

Another that shoots well.

25.3g Reloader 15
70g Berger
Wolf Primer
LC or Winchester Cases
OAL=2.260"

Currently trying to get the 77g Sierra Match King to shoot but so far no joy.
I will post the load if I find one that works.

Shooting a "tricked out" Bushmaster with a 1-8 twist, 18" free floated barrel. Found a load that consistently shoots less than .50 MOA.

23.8g Ramshot TAC
69g Sierra Match King
Wolf Primer
Winchester Cases
OAL=2.260"

Another that shoots well.

25.3g Reloader 15
70g Berger
Wolf Primer
LC or Winchester Cases
OAL=2.260"

Currently trying to get the 77g Sierra Match King to shoot but so far no joy.
I will post the load if I find one that works.

thanks
Grover

Ive come to the realization that there really arent any bad bullets from the main manufacturers. Ive loaded so many different weights, brands ,designs and they all shoot good, of course some better but all good enough.
For long distance I load 24.5g Tac and 77 SMK or 77 Nos. Thats over book max for .223
but just a hair under max for 5.56 Nato which my chamber is 5.56
Im really liking the Hornady 75 bthp for an all around bullet but like I said I cant find any bullet I dislike yet.
But if I had to only load one bullet it would be between the horn 75 BTHP or the 65g gameking...ah crap maybe the 60g partition...just so many good bullets out there

This is MY load, start low and work up.

75 gr HPBT
Win Brass
CCI SR primer
RL15 - 23.9 Gr

Runs 2675 out my 16 inch 1/9 RRA.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.