Help with wildlife photos and videos please....

codyadams

Hey everyone!!

So I have a Sony HDR CX-675 Handycam, and I use it for videoing my long range shooting on steel and also hunting, as well as videoing wildlife and taking pictures. The only problem is that it only has a 30x optical zoom, and that doesn't get me near close enough on my farther shots to get decent detail, and also makes it hard to get good video/photos of animals at long distances.

I would like to be able to get closer up, and have debated getting an adapter from one of the digiscoping manufacturers to video through a spotting scope, but didn't know if there was a better way to accomplish this without spending thousands of dollars. My camera has 46mm lense threads

here is the place I was thinking of getting a custom digiscoping mount from....

DIGIDAPTER digiscope adapter

If there is any better option, could someone with more knowledge please help me?? I really want to get better video and photos, and on optical zoom I get good HD video with my camera, but for instance, when videoing a deer taken at 925 yards last year, on my max optical zoom you could barely see the thing, and when I zoomed to where you could see it the image got fuzzy. I would really appreciate some help if anyone knows what I should do....Thanks guys.

The adaptor and spotting scope will work as long as you have a high quality spotting scope. The image has to be really sharp and clear. The issue with your type of video gear is that it is low mega pixel (yours does about 9 on video and about 2 on single picture mode so it gets REAL grainy/blurry fast when you try to enlarge them) and has a relatively small color chip along with limited ISO control. You do have electrical zoom of 350 but I am sure you have found the results less than satisfactory.

Try a DSLR Camera with video. They record at 24 MP, have selectable ISO from 50 to 128,000, selectable aperture and shutter speed along with a 1x1 chip. You will get far better pictures, and be able to zoom them a whole bunch more. Check out the pictures I posted in the Thread Africa Pictures under this category. If you click on each picture they will enlarge and you can see that they remain perfectly clear.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.