Help with the value of a gun

yotekiller04

Can one of y'all tell me what the general value of a Ruger 77/17 in 17hmr is? In very good condition, blued with the black "boat paddle" stock.

Whatever the buyer is willing to pay. Not trying to be sarcastic, but there really is no set value.

I'd guess probably $500-$600 based on gunbroker, etc.

Steve

It won't help that the gun market is very soft right now either.

It seems that any more these days, there are really 2 types of guns: cheap (Savage Axis/Ruger American type) and higher end (customs, CA, Fierce Seekins, Field Craft type). Seems that $800-$1200 market is tough. Guys either want a good shooting rifle with no frills and semi plain Jane or the super cool carbon barrel rifles.

Wish you the best!

Steve

It won't help that the gun market is very soft right now either.

It seems that any more these days, there are really 2 types of guns: cheap (Savage Axis/Ruger American type) and higher end (customs, CA, Fierce Seekins, Field Craft type). Seems that $800-$1200 market is tough. Guys either want a good shooting rifle with no frills and semi plain Jane or the super cool carbon barrel rifles.

Wish you the best!

Steve
Thank you!

If you had one, what would you set the buy it now/reserve at?

Honestly the best I've ever sold a rifle for on GB was a no reserve, penny auction. I've never sold a rifle I've set a reserve on, and I've never bought a rifle that had a reserve on it. I don't think most bidders like reserve auctions.

I'd just start it at the minimum price you want for the rifle and let it ride. There were three rifles like yours that sold in the last 30 days $506, $525, and $595. The higher priced rifles had only 1 bid each and the $506 had six bids. So if you want a bidding war you got to get people to your auction and that will cost you money in GB fees.

You don't want to run a long auction probably no more than 7 days as people will lose interest and spend their money elsewhere. You want it to end at a time it's convenient for people to be at their computers watching the auction. Saturday mornings or Sunday afternoon seems the best time for ending auctions.

Hope that helps.

Honestly the best I've ever sold a rifle for on GB was a no reserve, penny auction. I've never sold a rifle I've set a reserve on, and I've never bought a rifle that had a reserve on it. I don't think most bidders like reserve auctions.

I'd just start it at the minimum price you want for the rifle and let it ride. There were three rifles like yours that sold in the last 30 days $506, $525, and $595. The higher priced rifles had only 1 bid each and the $506 had six bids. So if you want a bidding war you got to get people to your auction and that will cost you money in GB fees.

You don't want to run a long auction probably no more than 7 days as people will lose interest and spend their money elsewhere. You want it to end at a time it's convenient for people to be at their computers watching the auction. Saturday mornings or Sunday afternoon seems the best time for ending auctions.

Hope that helps.
Thanks very much!

Excellent advice from Ducky on a GB listing! I would add that the top dollar is received by sellers with lots of high quality photos in their listings. The better the pictures the higher the price. That may sound illogical but that is what I have observed.

makes sense to me. i would be hesitant to bid $600 on a rifle with one potato-quality picture of it and a 10 word description.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts