help with spotting scopes

Bill56

Hi All,

I'm going to be trying out some LR shooting (for me) out to 600 yards this year at my local range. Right now, I've got a crappy Burris Landmark 20-60x spotter that's useless above 30-40x because it gets so blurry. To be honest, I can barely make out 17HMR holes at 100 yds with the stupid thing.

I'm looking a 2 different scopes now in 2 different price ranges and am wondering if the difference in cost is worth it. First, a used Nikon Sky and Earth 20-60x80 for sale here on LRH for $375. Second, a Pentax PF-65 ED II with 20-60x eyepiece for approx. $690.00.

Anyone with experience with these spotters, please I need all the help I can get. I'm not rich by any means.

Bill

You get what you pay for cept when it comes to rifle scopes. I find this very true in spotters. It all comes down to just how much you plan to use your scope at what distances. Farther out ='s more $$$$ is the equation. A good all around scope for the money would be the Vortex HD. From there, Kowa all the way.

The Kowa's are too rich for my blood even though I'm drooling pretty bad. Anybody else out there with other recommendations for under $1,000 including eyepiece?

Bill

I have a Leupold Mark IV 12-40 spotter with reticle that I like very much. It has very good eye relief, compact design, rugged, lightweight, and good image quality up to 30 power. Image degrades significantly past 30 power but I am often shooting at long range with heavy mirage. I got a good deal on mine for $1300 new. They make the Golden Ring that is closer to your budget, similar scope but no reticle.

My partner uses a burris landmark 20-60x80 and it sucks on high mag at dusk, ok during the day, It inspired me to buy the nikon sky &earth 20-60x80 a couple years back and while it is not a swarosky it is head & shoulders above the burris.......Now I have one and my wife has one and I was looking at the one in the classifieds this morning thinking about my partner wanting one........... He dropped price to $325......... Please buy it, because I am tempted but should not buy it right now. I have heard all sorts of good things about all the others mentioned but have not used them.

The Kowa's are too rich for my blood even though I'm drooling pretty bad. Anybody else out there with other recommendations for under $1,000 including eyepiece?

Bill

i know you said under a 1000.00
but heres the kit i bought IMOP for what you get the you can't bet the deal for a great spotter.

TSN SV 82mm Angled Spotting Scope Body (Rubber Armor) (Includes: 82mm Angled Spotting Scope, 20-60X Eye Piece, Black Monfrotto 055XDB Tripod with Bogen 700RC2 Head & Quick Release Plate, Bogen Tripod Carrying Case, Kowa Soft Spotting Scope Case & Spotting Scope Hard Case ) 1425.00 but look what all you get with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could go to a 66mm and eye piece and be under 1000.00 easy

Kowa Spotting Scopes Sale Kowa Digiscoing Acessories

I just retired my Nikon 20-60x80 after several good seasons. I tried several scopes including the Pentax, but with 80mm objective. The Pentax was hands-down clearer and brighter than the Nikon I have been using. In fact, I was set on buying it until I compared with Swarovski looking at bullet holes at 500 and 1K. There's just no beating a Swaro if you can afford it, but between the scopes you listed, the Pentax is definitely the better choice. And I'm a die-hard Nikon fan. Good luck!

I had a Sky and Earth; it would not resolve bullet holes at 500M under any conditions. Sold it and bought a Leica 20-60x77 Televid. Great optics, but pricey.

I should have mentioned this before. I wear glasses and am pretty blind without them. So, am I going to be limited to a fixed power eyepiece or can I use a zoom eyepiece? I do know the fixed ones have a wider FOV and a usually clearer at their rated magnifications, i.e., the zooms tend to get hazier the higher you go.

I am in the same boat with the glasses. there are scopes out there with decent zoom eye relief. The nikon was allot better than the burris and I can't say which models but I am sure there are others out there. I can resolve bullet holes in white board with either of my nikons out to 600ish in good conditions but after that it gets real tough.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.