Help with savage sa cartridge

Norma and Petersen make Brass and Ammo, Criterion, makes, awesome, RemAge and Savage threaded, Pre-fit, Barrels.
The 24" .707 dia Muzzle, Heavy Sporter, Criterion Barrel, makes for, a 9.5 Pound, Target / Varmint Rifle.
IF looking to, pack your Rifle around for, Deer / Antelope,.. I'd go with, a smaller dia bbl. !

Last edited:
6 cm. I really enjoy shooting 6's and recently built a TC pro pistol and running 110 A Tip's. I ran several 243 barrels for PRS and will never do it again. It eats barrels like a wood chuck chucking wood. Now if you really want to do something different go with a 6 BRA or similar and have some fun with low recoil and almost cm level fps.

I have a 6CM.w. 24" 1:7.5" twist, and my main load is a 105 Hyb @ 3184fps.
Since I have not been able to find the 105 Hyb in months, I recently worked up a good load w. 115 VLDs @ 3087fps. I shot it this past weekend out to 1386 on steel with fantastic results.
A .243Win would duplicate these results.

If you are already set up for the .243, no reason not to chamber up a rifle in that cartridge, expect maybe quality brass availability. Lapua makes brass in .243Win, but that is about the only top end brass available. The 6CM has SRP or LRP available from Lapua, Petersons, and Alpha
I'm building a 6 Creedmoor with a 7.5 twist. What powder you using

If you don't need full out velocity I'd recommend a 6 dasher. I really enjoy shooting mine. I run 105 Berger's at 2910 FPS. Only shot one pronghorn so far at 300 yds. Sure did the job. With as close to no recoil as you can get; I watched the puff of hair and the pronghorn drop.

7mm 08 would be my choice especially for a hunting rifle. Shoot everything from the 120 ballistic tip for white tails up to 160 accubonds for elk/bear and brass and factory ammo are easy to find. And if your wanting something different with some more smoke change the bolt head and mag box and go for a 270 wsm. Find some 140 accubonds and 3200ft/sec is very obtainable for an all purpose load. Best wishes

He said 243ai, that is far sexier than a Creedmoor of any flavor.
Thanks for the responses, I ordered 243 ai dies last night, so I'm going with that at this time. Doing research now on the chamber, how much free bore needed. Leaning toward the berger 105 or 108 extreme hunters. But might use up to 115's.