Help with Ruger American 6.5 PRC Chassis/Stock

MajorSpittle

I have a Ruger American in 6.5 PRC. It is a Short Action with a Ruger Magnum magazine that allows for rounds up to 3.3" long.

I would like to put it in a chassis like an MDT or similar, but I keep running into Short Action Stocks only accept ACIS Short Action Magazines which are not long enough for 6.5 PRC.

I even looked at Magpul Hunter stocks but could never find an answer as to how the AICS assemblies for their stocks work and if there is a Long Action AICS bottom that will fit for a short action or something?

Has anyone ran into this issue and found a solution? I need just under 3.1" for my rounds to fit in a magazine.

I even looked at Magpul Hunter stocks but could never find an answer as to how the AICS assemblies for their stocks work and if there is a Long Action AICS bottom that will fit for a short action or something?
I have magpul hunter stock, the way it is built im not sure it could accept a long action aics bottom metal(plastic in this case). As that would be the only way to get a mag long enough for your needs. I am on a hunting trip in illinois right now but i can measure and look when i get home. Are you sure its a short action?

I have magpul hunter stock, the way it is built im not sure it could accept a long action aics bottom metal(plastic in this case). As that would be the only way to get a mag long enough for your needs. I am on a hunting trip in illinois right now but i can measure and look when i get home. Are you sure its a short action?
It is short action.

At least I think it is Short Action. The Magazine that it comes with is the same as the one for the 300WM but it is a Ruger Magazine not an AICS magazine.

Now I need to measure the action and figure out if it is actually built on a Short Action.

Last edited:
On the magpul cant you change out the magwell and mag to a long action model I know the ones I've seen look like you can but I'm not sure of what it messures I'm looking for a stock for my 308 in the go wild model as well

On the magpul cant you change out the magwell and mag to a long action model I know the ones I've seen look like you can but I'm not sure of what it messures I'm looking for a stock for my 308 in the go wild model as well
No you cannot at least no to my memory. Its made for the short action magwell only.

Not to hijack, but how do you like the rifle so far. It seems a few of them hit the market earlier this year and then they have since disappeared. I've got a ruger American predator in Creedmoor that is 7 years old and is a tack driver. The prc looks very tempting for the price.

Not to hijack, but how do you like the rifle so far. It seems a few of them hit the market earlier this year and then they have since disappeared. I've got a ruger American predator in Creedmoor that is 7 years old and is a tack driver. The prc looks very tempting for the price.
It is very accurate and coating/build quality is great.

I have never shot or reloaded for a Creedmoor, but the PRC seems a little too over bore for my liking. I have a feeling I will be loading the 140gr with lots of free bore and using faster powder then the retumbo or h1000. I loaded 156eol long with H4831 and was getting around 2850 fps.

If I had to do it over again I would have went with my first instinct an got a 7mm-08. But it is still early so maybe I will find it grows on me when I perfect a load and get a chance to actually stretch it out to 700+ in the wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.