Help with rings/bases choices

ArtsMonkey

So I've got a Browning A-bolt medallion and just purchased a NF 3.5-15x50 to mount on it. From what I've been reading I should get a 20 mil base correct? Also what are some good ring/base that I should get.

Thanks

---Art

Well if nightforce makes a one piece 20 moa picatinny rail for the a-bolt get that, other good choices are the seekins and the EGW. For rings nightforce ultra lights and seekins, with warne and tally good choices as well. I think having an a-bolt is going to limit your choices of bases though so Im not sure who carries bases for this model.

Last edited:
Thanks Pyro,

I found that EGW makes a picatinny rail for my rifle which helps a bunch. So for the rings what hight should I get?

Im not sure if the lows will work with it being a 30mm tube. I know that with my 50" 1" tube the lows would work. Call nightforce and seekins they both have always answered the phone when I've called and they will be able to tell you. I have the vortex "seekins" low rings but my objective lens is 44

Im not sure if the lows will work with it being a 30mm tube. I know that with my 50" 1" tube the lows would work. Call nightforce and seekins they both have always answered the phone when I've called and they will be able to tell you. I have the vortex "seekins" low rings but my objective lens is 44

Am I missing something? Wouldn't a 30 mm would work better than the a 1 inch? The scope would be naturally higher off the rifle because the tube is wider.

Am I missing something? Wouldn't a 30 mm would work better than the a 1 inch? The scope would be naturally higher off the rifle because the tube is wider.

You are probably right. The 1" low rings are.75 and the 30mm lows are .82, I just didnt know enough to say "yes they will work", so I wasnt going to say they would. When in doubt I call the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the help I will call them and get this all figured out. I love this forum of course I mostly read cause I'm not intelegent enough to give advice yet, but someday I hope that I will get knocked over the head hard enough so that something can come out :p

I doubt you would even need a 20MOA rail on that rifle. That scope has 110MOA of ele adjustment in it. If it were me I'd run Talley LW's and try and keep as weight off that rifle as I could. Personally, I couldn't imagine throwing a 30oz scope on a 7# rifle. The balance point would be so far to the rear of the rilfe that I wouldn't run it. I've NF's scopes here on some rifles but not on a light(er) rifle. Balance is something that is often overlooked on a rifle when putting it together, but it sure is something that you'll notice when you're done. Not trying to talk you out of that scope, as I have them too and they are nice, but just trying to get you to think a little more about the project as a whole. Good luck, Brad.

I went through a similar process. Won a Browning at an auction in 25 wssm, took it out and it shot 1/2 MOA with the first cheap factory ammo I picked up. I put a BC stock on it and Talley Rings. Wound up with EGW 20mm base and EGW practical rings with a Zeiss 3.5x10 x44 target turrets. The gun is so slim and light even the Zeiss is a bit large. The EGW base and rings are Aluminum and I was very pleasently suprised with the "practical rings". I wound up with a great small lite weight set up!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.