Help with Rem 700 Action Screw Torque Values. (Wood Stock)

Unfortunately, after putting the action back into the stock and torquing the action screws down to 40 in lbs front and back, the gun won't seem to group worth a darn. My previous pet load, along with everything else I've tried, now shoots 1"-2" groups(5 shots).
Check to make sure that the wood "boss's" didn't split on you when you torqued it back down. That would certainly cause some shifting to occur when shooting. Ask me how I know..🤣😂

This seems appropriate here..😇

Interesting, gunsmith told me yesterday that there should be no bedding in front of the recoil lug with the barrel free floated.
On an action designed like a Rem 700, 722, 721 or a Win 70 I don't bed under the barrel at all. On a Mauser or similar design, where the front guard screw hole is in the recoil lug (which is NOT a sperate piece) I may bed a short distance under the barrel shank. It depends on the design of the action. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to many gunsmithing tasks. The only real 'rule' with bedding is "Stress Free", where the only job of the guard screws is to secure the action to the stock, but does not induce any torque or bending of the action to do so.

On an action designed like a Rem 700, 722, 721 or a Win 70 I don't bed under the barrel at all. On a Mauser or similar design, where the front guard screw hole is in the recoil lug (which is NOT a sperate piece) I may bed a short distance under the barrel shank. It depends on the design of the action. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to many gunsmithing tasks. The only real 'rule' with bedding is "Stress Free", where the only job of the guard screws is to secure the action to the stock, but does not induce any torque or bending of the action to do so.
I agree. As long as it's stress free it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think the 1" in front of the recoil lug that is full diameter is going to flex much when firing, after the taper starts it surely flexes in increasing amounts the smaller the diameter of barrel. So I think full contact in that area shouldn't be an issue.