Help with Redding body only sizing die

Carbide it is. Yes they are very hard. But only on the surface. Once you cut a little off they cut like butter. I add back some chamfer and polish them up. Amazing what a little flitz will do for your sizing die. And I've had dies that chattered when sizing and have had to run fine grit wet/dry paper in them and then flitz and then they worked fine. Then you get dies that scratch your brass no matter how clean you get everything. Once again some fine grit and flitz will usually fix them. If the dies don't clean up real quick then they need sent back to be replaced. There is not much you can take and still have them size. I start at 600 grit and go up to 3000. Then a quick run of flitz on a cloth. I'm sure all of you reading this has had dies that ran brass as smooth as silk and dies that ran like it was going to give you arm pump. Sometimes it's the size of your fired brass causing it to some extent. But a quick hit with the papers and they do run much better. Just one last thing I promise. After you get them nice and polished and then clean put just a little extra lube on the first couple pieces of brass you run. It seems mirror polished dies can stick a case easier if you don't. But once the die is lubed they run real slick.
Shep

Birdiemc when you set the die with no she'll in it there is no extra force flexing things. When you run a case the pressure of sizing can flex your press and linkages just enough to get a slight gap. I personally always want a gap between the shell holder and die bottom. I don't like to cam over hard. This is my preference and I get very uniform brass. Some claim you have to have cam over with metal to metal to be consistent. I haven't found this to be true. And it's much easier on your own arm and press if your not camming over hard. Maybe I'm whimpy.
Shep

Also I believe one shot is trash. Have had more stuck cases with one shot than any other case lube, and yes I was following instructions. For small caliber rou ds like 223 i still use it, but for anything bigger try imperial sizing wax. Absolutely changed my world.
This is my experience with One Shot and Imperial sizing die wax as well.

I just wonder what I am doing wrong or right I've only had one stuck Case in my reloading life With Hornady brass which was the first and last time I've ever used it I have never had a problem with one shot

Care to elaborate on your technique ? Might provide a remedy for others .
I just follow the directions I think,First I shake the can fairly aggressively for about one minute I spray downward on a 45° angle so there's some in the necks apply fairly liberaly I rotate cases 180° in the loading block spray the other side in a downward 45° angle let them sit for probably five minutes so the thinners evaporate but also I must add I have my dies adjusted properly to do minimal sizing and I do not load at the very top for powder charges and I am not over stressing my brass

I just follow the directions I think,First I shake the can fairly aggressively for about one minute I spray downward on a 45° angle so there's some in the necks apply fairly liberaly I rotate cases 180° in the loading block spray the other side in a downward 45° angle let them sit for probably five minutes so the thinners evaporate but also I must add I have my dies adjusted properly to do minimal sizing and I do not load at the very top for powder charges and I am not over stressing my brass
Well.... I think the key to use of Hornady One Shot ( I used it years ago, converted to Dillon's case lube) is to make sure it is thoroughly mixed as you , newly named 338 Dude, write above. No tellin' how long that can sat in storage before being sold, OR how long it sits between uses in reloading by the buyer.
All case lubes should be applied liberally.

My apologies to all who contributed their time and knowledge in helping me out and educating me in properly using my Redding BOS dies for taking so long to post a thank you for your help.

After reading all this I did discover the R/BOSD were actually bumping my shoulders back 0.002" IF they were long enough to begin with, which some I discovered per my head space gauge and my SAMMI spec sheet were not.

I will say I tied my smallest group of my life with one of my rifles with these new reloads made using Redding BOS dies in conjunction with a Lee Collet die.

Fallowing load was:
Winchester brass once fired (yes I know Winchester brass?!?!?)
Federal 215 LR/M primers
65.8grns IMR 4831
180 grain Sierra SBT Game King
COAL per Stony Point OAL gauge 2.2665"

Dies used:
Redding Body Only sizing die
Case neck sized with Lee Collet die
Forster BR/MM bullet seating die
Standard Redding shell holder
RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.