Help with rangefinders

You'll like your BR4 when it shows up as well. It's a sweet little unit.
One thing I'm wondering is if it'll take a data transfer from a Kestrel or not. Likely need to upload it into the Revic app, then download it. Not a big deal. Might as well have their app anyway.

One thing I'm wondering is if it'll take a data transfer from a Kestrel or not. Likely need to upload it into the Revic app, then download it. Not a big deal. Might as well have their app anyway.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that dude. Their app is nice also. So is the "base wind" feature in the rangefinder

What do you want it to do for you?
I personally like quality and reliability and will pay for it. Something that will get me a reliable reading in bad weather and soft targets quickly at longer hunting ranges. My older GW BR2's have the on-board ballistic software which is very good, but they are a bit weak when it comes to reliable readings in non-ideal conditions. The Leica 3200 RF binos are very nice (excellent glass, a very powerful & fast RF) and they give the option to range while glassing. This I like, and it's usually good enough for most hunting scenarios if you have a range card taped to your rifle like I do. However, for very precise firing solutions in varied environments (i.e. shooting small rodents/varmints at crazy distances), you almost need to pair most RF's with a Kestrel. I like things simple when I'm in the field. Recently ordered 2 of the Revic BR4's to try. I really like the 10x power and the improved capabilities it offers. The features it brings to the table on paper are impressive in a small package, including the external temp sensor, station pressure, compass, altimeter, inclinometer, and the ability to program 10 different ballistic profiles. And being able to function in the field without messing with Bluetooth is good for me. What I'm hearing are good things about it, so my expectations are that it will make the grade for me as well. If all you need is a reliable, accurate range, many good options abound. Good firing solutions is another whole matter. I can report back later if you're not in a hurry, but there is a decent amount of objective, credible positive feedback already.

Leica, Swarovski, Vectronix, Leupold, Sig, Vortex, Bushnell, Nikon all offer decent rangers to meet varied needs and cost parameters.

Northkill,

thanks for your detailed response! 👍🏼

Wow, now a range finder combined with a ballistic calculator and weather data — that's a very cool combination (which justifies the price....).

▪ For target shooting it makes sense to make the instrument that combines all of the functions the anemometer (as in the Kestrel AB), because ranges are known.

▪ But for hunting it makes more sense to make the instrument that does it all the range finder. Awesome combination.

I checked the app out to see if the rifle profiles and projectiles are usable for airgun long range shooting, which is what I'd use it for.
➔ Unlike the Kestrel AB — they are for the most part usable 👍🏼 — though some limitations for specs entries are unnesessarily restrictive, e.g.:
min. projectile weight ≥10gr
min. BC ≥ 0.03

For airgunning I need to range tiny targets (pigeons, squirrels, etc.).
And a very precise range is extremely important. For example, if I misrange by only 2y (at 60y range) I miss my kill zone....

Matthias

Last edited:
I have been using the Sig Sauer kilo 2200 mr for awhile now and loved them except when it's snowing but there's a new love in my life !!
I just got the Vortex Fury 5000 HD with AB and these things are unreal.
I know there's a big price gap between the hand helds and the ranging binos but these things sure make ranging easy.
I ranged a beef cow at 2700 yards the other day which probably wouldn't have been possible with my Sig kilo.
If you can afford to get a good range finding Bino do it. They are a real game changer.

Another one I stumbled across:

Recent Posts