help with range finder

Don't write off the Bushnell Elite 1 Mile Arc. I love mine and it is only $500 or so, should drop when the Conus comes out. I can get ranges out to 1300 on rocks and bushes. Range a horse in full sun at 1200. Very happy with it's performance for the price.

I replaced my Bushnell with a Leupold RX 1000i DNA model. The reason was due to the Bushnell not giving accurate readings in fog or light rain on deer, alas, the Leupold is no better in this regard, but does have more features.
Either work well on clear days, and I must say that I prefer the compactness of the Leupold over the Bushnell.

Cheers.
gun)

I would recommend the Leica over the Burris Eliminator. All Eliminator models have a lot of glare. They are fine for some uses, but a hunting scope should have higher contrast, especially when the sun is in front of the shooter.

I've tested the Leupold RX 1000 DNA and I think it is acceptable for the price. Expect it to work out to about 500 yds on big game in daylight and good weather.

I am happy with the ranging with my 1600 B. I am very disappointed with the B. The ballistics do NOT work. So do not buy it for that.

I and my nephew both have the Leica 1600. He got his used for cheap and I bought mine new. I would not have any use for the "B" model as I use a Kestrel. For ranging, these Leicas work great. I was over shooting p-dogs in Montana with my nephew recently. No problem ranging p-dogs as far as we could see them. We also saw a couple of pronghorn way out and both of use got identical readings of 1,503 yards while hand held. These reading were repeated several times each with consistent results. I was impressed. Also, the optics are great so I don't usually carry binos. Couldn't be happier with the Leica 1600.

I'm a fan of the Leica 1600B as others are. True the Internal ballistics calculator is not that great, but I do use the temp, pressure, and shot angle measurements from it for my ballistics app. Then use a small handheld wind meter.

I just cannot see having the rangefinder build into the scope. Rangefinders have electronics and in a scope are subject to repeated recoil jolts. That cannot be good long term. Plus, if the ranger is in the scope, then you have to get the rifle out and point it at something whenever you want to range anything. I use the rangefinder a lot for range estimation when I don't have the rifle out. Sometimes just to figure the distance back to my truck. And I don't need anymore bullet holes in my truck.:rolleyes:

Can't afford G7, so I'm thinking Leica1600 B, or Burris Eliminator III 4-16. Thanks for any thoughts.

Another vote for the Leica. My 1600 has far exceeded my expectations. Unless they changed it recently, scopes with built in "auto-ranging" electronic RF (I know it's dumb just like the lumenoks :( ) can only be used in varminting here in Montana. Double check with the LE side of FWP MT before investing.

Good luck!

How does the lieca 1000r do under hunting conditions? I don't have the funds for the 1600 but got a good deal on a 1000r so I ordered it. I handled one at a local store and was impressed at what I it could do on buildings and such.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.