Help with progression in long range shooting

Niceshot

I bought my son a Christenson arms Ridgeline in 6.5prc and topped it with a gen 1 vortex viper pst 6x24mil. He is shooting Hornady Match ammo in 147. We did the barrel break in and have it zeroed at 100 yards and its an absolute tack driver. We have downloaded the Hornady app and have extended our range out to 640 yards (that's the farthest we can shoot at our range) and he can ring the small plate with easy. I have Vortex range finder that is nothing fancy and I was wondering if a sig 2400ABS would be the next gadget I should buy or something along those lines.
Our next challenge is going to learn how to read the wind. Its pretty fun watching this 14 year old kid shoot. I fear I will have to get into reloading or get another job to afford this 50-100 rounds every weekend habit he has.

One gadget that you need is anti-cant.
A must have for those long shots imo. Flatline is a good place to start and they aren't too terrible in price. It'll also help him get a feel for what his rifle should feel like when it's in the correct position to fire.
If your not on a tight budget, some gadgets are pretty useful. The 2400ab would be one of them. But if you want to save some bucks, it's time to start reloading.
Not only will it pay for itself in quick order if your shooting 100 rounds a week, you'll also get to enjoy better accuracy and better performance from your rifle.

I'd start there. The sig 2400ab is about 1400 bucks. That will get you an awesome start in reloading equipment and components, you'll spend more, trust me, but that will get you up and going. You'll find most of what you need right here!

Good luck and keep him shooting!!

Yes, you need at least one gadget.

Get a cheap Kestrel and live with it around your neck when you are outside for a month or so. Calibrate your brain to what different wind speeds actually feel like on your skin and clothing and look like in the surrounding vegetation.

Once you learn to recognize wind speeds, then you can begin to recognize how wind flows and turns and speeds up and eddies in response to terrain.

You definitely need a good rangefinder that will calculate the TRB vs just straightline distance if you're gong to be hunting where significant elevation differences figure in. Otherwise you're trying to do the calculations with a pencil in the field. If the latter is the case you not only need a good anti can't device you you need an angle slope indicator too.

Practice and basic gear will mean a lot. Add a good long range shooting school session to it and he'll be generations ahead in a year or two.

In my opinion the best thing that you can do is to use the rifle and RF that you already have, buy a wind flag, and book a prairie dog hunt.

You will shoot from 20yards to as far as you can see and you'll have fun doing it

What model Vortex range finder? To me the range finder is one of the most important pieces of gear to have as the ranges get longer and longer.
If you have the money budgeted to spend on a Sig 2400ABS then you can have a really good LRF, hand held weather station and a complete reloading kit for the same money.

Rangefinder,
Kestrel,
Scope that tracks
Reloading kit
SubMOA rifle with consistent poi
Practice
It's all u really need for lr shooting

There's a guy selling more than a complete set of reloading equipment...
Cgable......better check it out....lot of equipment at a great price....

I'd say invest in reloading gear first. It will pay for itself in no time if you are shooting 100rds of factory match ammo every weekend.

I'd vote to get a Kestrel 5700 Elite with the Applied ballistics. Use it and love it. Reloading is also a very good investment.

Part of it depends on shooting at the range vs hunting prairie dogs vs hunting big game If shooting at the range you have time to use the shooter app or similar along with a kestrel that has environmental info. If you miss an oppty on a PD it is not a big deal.

If you are hunting big game it may make sense to use a LRF that gives you angle adjusted range and environmental info and turns into all into a quick solution, so all you have to do is dial for a quick shot. You don't want to miss a shot oppty on an animal that you really want.

But a LR school and reloading are probably your best bets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.