Help with picking the right bullet PLEASE

wv270wsm

Hello I'm fairly new to lrh . My problem is that I have a Winchester model 70 Featherlite 270 wsm and I have yet to find a bullet that it doesn't like. I know horrible right . I plan on using this gun to elk and mule deer hunt with hopefully next season in Colorado if everything goes right . I've been loading and playing with the 140 accubonds getting 3000 fps with only 20 fps deviation per my chronograph with a rough 1/2 group when I do my part . I've also been shooting the 130 gr Hornadys getting 3200 fps with almost the same groups. I guess what I'm looking for is which bullet would yall go with ? Both are shooting very well for me and I'm getting good velocity although I believe I can push the accubonds a little more but don't believe I need to I'm no where near max on either bullet. Or should I push both a bit and see if that would be a determining factor as far as being able to get the most range? As long as accuracy doesn't suffer.

I would take the 140 gr Accubonds of the two you've listed, I was running them 3350 fps and bunched up a number of elk then switched to the Berger 140's and never looked back. Any 270 I build now will be built around the 165 Matrix or 170 Berger which put a significant whoopn on an elk!!!

I would take the 140 gr Accubonds of the two you've listed, I was running them 3350 fps and bunched up a number of elk then switched to the Berger 140's and never looked back. Any 270 I build now will be built around the 165 Matrix or 170 Berger which put a significant whoopn on an elk!!!

Listen to this post...much experience...

I would pick the Accubond over the Hornady. It will hold together much better and thus will retain weight and penetrate deeper.

Thanks guys I kinda figured the accubonds would be tougher than the Hornadys. The only thing I'm seeing with them is the fps is running about 150 fps slow per what the nosler manual states with the same charge of rl 19 . But I'll probably continue to play around with a few other powders and see what else I can come up with

Thanks guys I kinda figured the accubonds would be tougher than the Hornadys. The only thing I'm seeing with them is the fps is running about 150 fps slow per what the nosler manual states with the same charge of rl 19 . But I'll probably continue to play around with a few other powders and see what else I can come up with

The Nosler manual seems to be a bit optimistic on generated speed sometimes... I know it was with the 7rem when I loaded for that cartridge. rl19 and rl22 are good powders for the 270wsm... they should be at or near top vel. for the cartridge...

Retumbo is my go to powder in the 270 WSM, 72 gr under a 140gr, 68 under a 150gr, 66 under a 165gr and 64 under a 175gr, definitely top pressure loads though!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.