Help with pack for moose Kifaru vs Eberlestock or Kuiu?

Keep in mind that you're hunting in a high brown bear area and the rifle you choose should be a great defense gun as well.
I have considered my 375 H&H, which I absolutely love. Accurate as any gun I own and a pretty good Bear gun. Also, probably very effective on Moose.

I can also shoot a long way w that gun, within reason.

But it's heavy.

I have considered my 375 H&H, which I absolutely love. Accurate as any gun I own and a pretty good Bear gun. Also, probably very effective on Moose.

I can also shoot a long way w that gun, within reason.

But it's heavy.

This is the one, take the 375, if you need help with the weight, then start lifting weights, it's fine.

It's a heavy Bear area but they're going to be really fat in September you're going to be there about 2 weeks before the fish die on a 72 million record setting year that hasn't been broken since the 1860s. They may be grumpy in November but in September they're not going to even look at you with all the fish that are in the rivers right now. When I solo it's 300 Ultra Mag or 375, sounds like you're hunting with a group or a guide and they're going to have bear protection close enough more than likely.

It's a heavy Bear area but they're going to be really fat in September you're going to be there about 2 weeks before the fish die on a 72 million record setting year that hasn't been broken since the 1860s. They may be grumpy in November but in September they're not going to even look at you with all the fish that are in the rivers right now. When I solo it's 300 Ultra Mag or 375, sounds like you're hunting with a group or a guide and they're going to have bear protection close enough more than likely.
Yeah, hunting with friend. it's not the hungry bears I'm worried about. It's the mama bears that I'm concerned with.

The 375 weight isn't much different than the 308 + can.

Mamma bears will have cubs on the periphery to where the boars are feeding, on smaller tributaries or in wider spots. Boars get premium fishing spots. With that said the risk is a hungry young bear who knows a gunshot means gut pile. This is true closer to town more so than remote, your dealing with peninsula browns they are big lumbering mostly predictable critters. I'd take the gun you have the most confidence in making the best shot. Be a different conversation if we're arguing 243 or 300 win mag. All your rifles are withing a few hundred fps with equal weight bullets with similar constructed bullets, splitting hairs really.

In 15' and 16' we had dry winters with dry windy summers, many of the fish were deep and consolidated to specific rivers. From kodiak to Bristol Bay, those were some of the most aggressive bears I'd ever seen. This year has massive fish numbers, spread nicely into the tributaries. Berry production in the tundra has been awesome, bears are going to be fat this fall. Bears always pose some risk, but I'd doubt this year its going to be much above status quo.

Mamma bears will have cubs on the periphery to where the boars are feeding, on smaller tributaries or in wider spots. Boars get premium fishing spots. With that said the risk is a hungry young bear who knows a gunshot means gut pile. This is true closer to town more so than remote, your dealing with peninsula browns they are big lumbering mostly predictable critters. I'd take the gun you have the most confidence in making the best shot. Be a different conversation if we're arguing 243 or 300 win mag. All your rifles are withing a few hundred fps with equal weight bullets with similar constructed bullets, splitting hairs really.

In 15' and 16' we had dry winters with dry windy summers, many of the fish were deep and consolidated to specific rivers. From kodiak to Bristol Bay, those were some of the most aggressive bears I'd ever seen. This year has massive fish numbers, spread nicely into the tributaries. Berry production in the tundra has been awesome, bears are going to be fat this fall. Bears always pose some risk, but I'd doubt this year its going to be much above status quo.
Good info.

I'm confident with the 375, even if it wasn't a bear rich area, I'd still consider it. It's put tons of meat on the ground in a dozen trips to Africa twice to Europe for Brown Bear and Stag and of course around here. Love that gun.

RE: bears. When I moose hunted the Penn a few years ago we waded some creeks that were chock full of salmon; we saw more bears than moose but never had one even within rifle range (that we noticed). We practically tripped over salmon as we waded but it was the best way to get where I ended up shooting my moose. Shot him at 340 yards with a .375 H&H. Had a guide and a packer so a mile hump back to camp wasn't too bad. I took the ribs/neck/backstraps, packer took the hind quarters, and guide took the front quarters. We did it in two trips, then went back for the cape and antlers. Be sure to hump out the antlers last...

I wish you guys would stop telling me Kifaru! I don't like wanting what I can't get! But, I do appreciate the advice.

I ordered a Kuiu yesterday and I will order an EXO today. Talked to Jake at EXO yesterday and he (and many guys here) sold me on their packs.

If I can't get a Kifaru, I'm pretty sure the EXO or maybe a Kuiu will will suffice. One of them is bound to fit me.

My brother has an EXO pack. I think it would be a great choice, too. Does EXO have packs ready to ship?

My brother has an EXO pack. I think it would be a great choice, too. Does EXO have packs ready to ship?
Yes. I talked to Jake at EXO and placed my order yesterday.he said they are ready to ship the next business day. Also ordered gun strap and belt pouches. All of it was in stock.

I leave in 3.5 weeks for Alaskan Moose. Kind of a last minute hunt invite.

It's a boat/river hunt with some friends. Outside King Salmon. I know almost nothing about the area. I'm so unprepared.

I hunt a lot, but, I don't do much backpack hunting. Most of my hunting is done outside the USA or with day packs and road access close enough that a good pack isn't as important. Aoudad, Mule Deer, Whitetail and Pronghorn all on private land. I don't do much on public land other than a couple Elk and drop camp Caribou.

I need a good pack mainly because my back isn't great, but I can manage. Looking at Kifaru or Eberlestock? Which one and why one over the other?

Does Kifaru put more weight on your hips rather than shoulders? Or are they about even?
I haven't used Kifaru Packs but over the years I tried a number of packs while elk hunting in Colorado. They were popular brands purchased at Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas but all of them left me thinking there had to be something better. I finally bought an Eberlestock 'J34 just One' pack and let me tell you, it was a revelation. Mind you, after trudging around the mountains wiht 40, 60 or more pounds in a pack, your going to feel it, but it was by far the most comfortable pack I have ever used. Packs is all Eberlestock does and they know their stuff.

I'm late with the comment and have never hunted Alaska. That said, I would take my Barney's freighter frame and Moose bag. I love my Mystery Ranch packs, but when I know I am packing a big animal out, I grab my Barney's pack every time. Maybe my MR packs can carry as much weight (I doubt it), but I couldn't. The weight just rides better in my Barney's pack. Eighty pounds feels like 50 in one of my other packs. The pack is a disadvantage fighting through overgrowth and blowdown, but in the open it is king.

Recent Posts