Help with pack for moose Kifaru vs Eberlestock or Kuiu?

So I'm 6'7" & have a long torso, so my options have been semi limited.

I have the kifaru tactical and light frames with fulcrum and Stryker xl bags. I have only been training with the tactical but used the light last year hunting plus training since then. I much prefer the light frame, it just fits me well. The most weight I've trained with was 74#. It wasn't uncomfortable, but you know you're carrying a little weight. To be honest until you get over maybe 60# the weight all feels the same in the light frame. I'll probably move the tactical frame on the classifieds this winter. It just isn't comfortable, for me.

I also have an older mystery ranch that is probably the most comfortable, but I haven't tried to carry more than maybe 50# in it due to only have a day size bad attached. But when carrying that 50#, it was very comfortable. I've used it probably 6 or so years hunting until last season when I used kifaru. It still looks impressively new.

I've tried one of the eberlestock external frame packs long ago (don't remember which one) in a store with weight in it, and it was not good for me. I do EDC one of their internal frame packs(switchblade maybe?), and it has held up extremely well. It shows very minimal west after 3 years of every day use.

This is just my opinion, but it almost seems like instead of a really efficient & comfortable design, eberlestock just adds extra cushion everywhere. That makes them heavier but comfortable for light to moderate weights. Once you go over that weight limit, whatever it may be, the design flaws show themselves and you noticed the bag isn't comfortable at all.
That being said, it could also be that I'm weird shaped and their packs just don't fit me well.

I would give exo a try next if my kifaru light frame ever craps the bed.
Based on availability, I'd recommend a mystery ranch for your situation though.

I would HIGHLY recommend going to a store front and trying them all on with some sand bags in them before pulling the trigger.

I have used all of those brands quite extensively. Put simply, I have sold all of Eberlestock pack, both Kuiu, and now have 4 different Kifaru bags on the Duplex Lite Frame. Kifaru is hands down the best quality packs out there and they're comfort is far superior to the two other brands mentioned. Other brands I would consider besides Kifaru, would be Seek Outside, Exo, and Stone Glacier. However, Kuiu and Eberlestock, don't belong in the discussion in my humble opinion. I would however call Kifaru, as they are in the middle of switching locations and I know lead times are up. Well worth the wait I'd you can though.
This guy knows what he's talking about. Kifaru is the best but you're ordering about 3 months to late. You won't get it in time. I'd check with stone glacier, exo or seek outside and see who has one in stock. I've ran a Kuiu for years because I got a deal on it. Great day pack but horrible when you load it down. I broke a Kuiu frame with half an elk on it finally bought a Kifaru. You could consider just a good pack frame also I have an old cabelas extreme Alaskan outfitter frame, not sure they even make it but it's super simple and I've packed countless whole mule deer or half an elk many times. Sometimes simple is best…

Like Quintus, I have multiple Kuiu packs (5… the illness runs deep) and find them to be very comfortable under load. There are very lightweight but not like hiking packs that aren't very durable. Kuiu definitely is durable. Well thought out pockets and straps make the adaptable as well. When I was based in Boise, I visited Eberlestock and found them to be a bit heavy for my liking. Like others have said though, everyone fits different.

Look at the Outdoorsmans long range 7500. Great pack! I have the the earlier version of this pack and love it. Great frame and belt system which has not changed. All made in the USA and fantastic customer service. Call the guys there and they will give you some great information on the packs.

Last edited:
If someone recommends elberstock over Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or EXO. They have never used a Kifaru, Stone glacier or exo to actually haul weight. It's that simple. Elberstock are tough well built packs but frame system, shoulder straps and hip belt aren't in the same league. EXO makes dry bags that will fit in their's and others bag. For a raft trip I suggest using the exo dry bags or a dry bag of some type.

Between Kifaru, EXO and Stone Glacier, it's personal preference. I would hunt with any of them and not think twice. Just make sure it's fitted properly

+1 for the advice to shoot it close to the boat. Packing full quarters is not for the faint of heart. I've killed one moose - a cow Shiras. It turned into a small dinosaur as I walked up to it. A big Alaska bull moose is a "whole 'nuther story."

I'm going through the same process right now - looking for a quality pack for packing out a moose (but I won't need as much bag space you're needing for your Alaska trip).

I was dead set on at least trying a Kifaru, but - as others have stated - the wait is very long at this point. Then gentleman on the phone told me that the website warning of 8-10 weeks was outdated and they are trending on a 12+ week wait for any pack, frame, etc (essentially anything not on their 'Quick Ship' listing. I loved the idea of modularity with all their packs.

At this point - I am between Mystery Ranch and Exo. I believe I'll be ordering one of both, trying them out for a short period, and returning the one that doesn't fit as well. Both have return options that are excellent.

I leave in 3.5 weeks for Alaskan Moose. Kind of a last minute hunt invite.

It's a boat/river hunt with some friends. Outside King Salmon. I know almost nothing about the area. I'm so unprepared.

I hunt a lot, but, I don't do much backpack hunting. Most of my hunting is done outside the USA or with day packs and road access close enough that a good pack isn't as important. Aoudad, Mule Deer, Whitetail and Pronghorn all on private land. I don't do much on public land other than a couple Elk and drop camp Caribou.

I need a good pack mainly because my back isn't great, but I can manage. Looking at Kifaru or Eberlestock? Which one and why one over the other?

Does Kifaru put more weight on your hips rather than shoulders? Or are they about even?
I would suggest you look at EXO Mountain Gear. I have hunted with their pack for 5 years. I have packed lots of meat with it. Super durable and comfortable. Backpack hunt 5 miles deep to day hunt from the truck; that pack is with me. Also, I like to support made in the USA.

I packed a big moose out on a raft trip once, and once is enough. We shot it about mile from the raft but it was across a swamp and carrying the load and pulling each boot out of the muck every step of the way almost did us in. My advice is to get some instruction on how to break a moose down into manageable chunks and make more trips. It's also easier for handling on the raft and hanging up at night if it's a multi-day trip.

I packed a big moose out on a raft trip once, and once is enough. We shot it about mile from the raft but it was across a swamp and carrying the load and pulling each boot out of the muck every step of the way almost did us in. My advice is to get some instruction on how to break a moose down into manageable chunks and make more trips. It's also easier for handling on the raft and hanging up at night if it's a multi-day trip.
Yeah, I'll shoot a 50" river moose over a 60" that's 1/2 mile in.

Love Eberlestock….however for your applications there are better options. Eberlestock are phenomenal for confortable day hunting and then some discomfort for packing quarters. Kifaru (and others) are built to carry more weight and to transfer it to your hips. For HEAVY packs kifaru are phenomenal. I did just sell my Eberlestock and kifaru, because I got a Born and Raised Exo, and feel it covers both bases well enough for my applications. I used an early (1st edition) of the kuiu and was not a fan; not sure on these newer ones.