Help with pack for moose Kifaru vs Eberlestock or Kuiu?

The eberlestock packs that I have used were vary well made, but heavy and I didn't feel they were as comfortable as the kuiu and mystery ranch, which are the 2 packs that I own and have experience with. I have read lots of positive comments on the exo and stone glacier packs, but no experience with either. I probably use the kuiu the most, it is the icon pro and I have the 3000 bag, if I had it to do over would probably go with a larger bag, as they do pack down quite small. No pack is real comfortable when you start getting a fair amount of weight in them, but the ones with a good suspension sure do make the job much more pleasant. Good luck on your hunt and be safe. Let all us, that would love to go on an adventure like this, know how it goes.

might wanna check that you could even get a kifaru in that timeframe

i'd never consider an eberlestock having had a few in the past

i like my kuiu for being a lightweight pack and plan to get a kifaru for this season

I was recently quoted 12 weeks for a set of shoulder straps so I doubt you could get a pack from Kifaru before your hunt. With that said, they are awesome packs. You might be able to find one in the classifieds in one of the forums.

This Shiras bull is on a Kifaru tactical frame with a Woodsman bag.

C1F26A9D-A2B4-4526-B0A1-A85204C61C03.jpeg

King salmon... boots or hip waders will have a larger impact on your comfort and hunt experience than pack nuances. Moose are like whacking a yearling on stilts. Early September with the water we've been getting will be bogs everywhere on the flats. Just pick a pack your back likes, a Moose quarter is like dancing with a fuel drum... no fun way to do it.

Old native saying.... never shoot a big Moose if the beech isn't in the scopes fov.

My hunting buddy runs a Kuiu and I run a Kifaru frame with a Exo bag. The Kifaru hip belt is easier on my hips. Since a have a rather flat butt my hips basically take all of the load. I hauled out a boned out elk hind quater and 1 1/2 boned out front quarters along with some stuff in my pack last year. It was heavy but it didn't hurt at all. That was probably 120lbs total. The EXO packs are good on their own and I would still be using mine if I hadn't tried a Kifaru.

I have a couple Gen 3 EXO's (the newest version) with the big bags that I'm going to sell. One is brand new that I traded for from a EXO employee and the other I used for about a month while I was figuring out how to adapt the EXO bag to my Kifaru frame. EXO is literally down the road from me about 2 miles.

I have only used badlands and Kuiu. Just wanted to give my experience level.

I have the 7200 LT (I believe). It is world's above the badlands pack I had in terms of comfort, for me. The suspension is great, easily can switch weight from hips to shoulders, or balance between the two. Holds a LOT of stuff if you want, but cinches down to nothing if you are going light. Very light pack. Good layout. I have been extremely happy so far, although I haven't used it extensively.

I keep thinking about buying a smaller bag for short whitetail sits but can't bring myself to spend the money since mine compresses down so well- there really is no need.

I use Kifaru and HPG-- IMO the best two out there. I have a 44 mag and a reckoning. They are so well made

I leave in 3.5 weeks for Alaskan Moose. Kind of a last minute hunt invite.

It's a boat/river hunt with some friends. Outside King Salmon. I know almost nothing about the area. I'm so unprepared.

I hunt a lot, but, I don't do much backpack hunting. Most of my hunting is done outside the USA or with day packs and road access close enough that a good pack isn't as important. Aoudad, Mule Deer, Whitetail and Pronghorn all on private land. I don't do much on public land other than a couple Elk and drop camp Caribou.

I need a good pack mainly because my back isn't great, but I can manage. Looking at Kifaru or Eberlestock? Which one and why one over the other?

Does Kifaru put more weight on your hips rather than shoulders? Or are they about even?
I leave in a couple weeks to go up and guide Moose hunters in Alaska. i have 3-4 different good packs, one is a Kifaru. but they all fit differently on different people. best to just try a pack on, with 40-50lbs in it. see you it fits you. I use a Stone Glacier most hunts, and then I take my Kifaru as a back up. Get good hip waders!

King salmon... boots or hip waders will have a larger impact on your comfort and hunt experience than pack nuances. Moose are like whacking a yearling on stilts. Early September with the water we've been getting will be bogs everywhere on the flats. Just pick a pack your back likes, a Moose quarter is like dancing with a fuel drum... no fun way to do it.

Old native saying.... never shoot a big Moose if the beech isn't in the scopes fov.
Best advice on the thread. I have hunted Alaska extensively and recently did a brown bear hunt east of King Salmon and a moose hunt with Phil Shoemaker on his place which I think is SW of King Salmon. I bring two sets of bootless waders and have a set of boots oversized enough that fit over the sock portion of the waders. The reason I bring two is the neoprene sock portion of the wader eventually soaks up water so I dry them every other day. Hip boots create blisters for me no matter how well they fit.

I also bring a Gore Tex parka and Helly Hanson parka. Gore Tex is good if lightly raining and/or walking, but in solid rain and/or sitting on wet ground, the HH is the only thing that has worked for me.

Assume you not going guided. Make sure your bull is legal (was 50" spread or four brow times IIRC); know your scope subtension and you can use this to judge width. READ THE REGS. I believe moose in that area have to be brought out in quarters - no boning.

Be sure to visit Eddie's in King Salmon. The place hasn't changed since I first hunted there in 1984.

Last edited:
I have used all of those brands quite extensively. Put simply, I have sold all of Eberlestock pack, both Kuiu, and now have 4 different Kifaru bags on the Duplex Lite Frame. Kifaru is hands down the best quality packs out there and they're comfort is far superior to the two other brands mentioned. Other brands I would consider besides Kifaru, would be Seek Outside, Exo, and Stone Glacier. However, Kuiu and Eberlestock, don't belong in the discussion in my humble opinion. I would however call Kifaru, as they are in the middle of switching locations and I know lead times are up. Well worth the wait I'd you can though.

I leave in 3.5 weeks for Alaskan Moose. Kind of a last minute hunt invite.

It's a boat/river hunt with some friends. Outside King Salmon. I know almost nothing about the area. I'm so unprepared.

I hunt a lot, but, I don't do much backpack hunting. Most of my hunting is done outside the USA or with day packs and road access close enough that a good pack isn't as important. Aoudad, Mule Deer, Whitetail and Pronghorn all on private land. I don't do much on public land other than a couple Elk and drop camp Caribou.

I need a good pack mainly because my back isn't great, but I can manage. Looking at Kifaru or Eberlestock? Which one and why one over the other?

Does Kifaru put more weight on your hips rather than shoulders? Or are they about even?
which ever one you want you will not be backin much moose meat bone cut up carry just what you can if not you will be a hurting person. boat hunts most moose are shot right next to the river just make sure you drop him in his tracks they can go a long way with a bad hit then you will wish you never took the shot

I have used an Eberlestock pack in the past and I have hauled extremely heavy loads in it (a front shoulder and a hind quarter of a bull elk). The pack worked well, but I hunted with it on my back for weeks at a time and it was heavy even when empty. I switched over to EXO and I highly recommend that you take a close look at them.