Help with pack for moose Kifaru vs Eberlestock or Kuiu?

Buffalobwana

I leave in 3.5 weeks for Alaskan Moose. Kind of a last minute hunt invite.

It's a boat/river hunt with some friends. Outside King Salmon. I know almost nothing about the area. I'm so unprepared.

I hunt a lot, but, I don't do much backpack hunting. Most of my hunting is done outside the USA or with day packs and road access close enough that a good pack isn't as important. Aoudad, Mule Deer, Whitetail and Pronghorn all on private land. I don't do much on public land other than a couple Elk and drop camp Caribou.

I need a good pack mainly because my back isn't great, but I can manage. Looking at Kifaru or Eberlestock? Which one and why one over the other?

Does Kifaru put more weight on your hips rather than shoulders? Or are they about even?

Last edited:
Of those 2 I would go with the Eberlestock. I switched to Kuiu 4 years ago after going through quite a few packs and have been very happy. The bags are very versatile and easy to hunt out of as well as haul gear. The suspension is amazing and allows you to pack meat between the frame and the bag. It is very light and still very durable. It's hard to pick a bad top end pack these days so it comes down to what sings to the individual. Packs are kind of like boots that way at least from my point of view. Like boots, you really won't know if you like a pack until you get some weight in it and hunt out of it for a few days.

I have the 7800 and 3600 pro bags with the carbon frame and pro suspension. I very seldom use the smaller bag because the big bag compresses and straps down to fit the load very well. I switched because the suspension has very good, adjustable support and the package is very lite. I stayed with it because of the layout of the bags. Multiple compartments that are functional in size and accessible from the outside. You can pack what you need during the day where you can get at quickly without sorting half your gear. Just very easy to organize the whole load. It also handles alot of weight very well. I also have a back I have to be a little carefull of, but I have managed up to 105 pounds of meat and gear comfortably...well at least well supported and no pack related discomfort.

I have the 7800 and 3600 pro bags with the carbon frame and pro suspension. I very seldom use the smaller bag because the big bag compresses and straps down to fit the load very well. I switched because the suspension has very good, adjustable support and the package is very lite. I stayed with it because of the layout of the bags. Multiple compartments that are functional in size and accessible from the outside. You can pack what you need during the day where you can get at quickly without sorting half your gear. Just very easy to organize the whole load. It also handles alot of weight very well. I also have a back I have to be a little carefull of, but I have managed up to 105 pounds of meat and gear comfortably...well at least well supported and no pack related discomfort.
Cool. Good info. If you had to do it all over again, would you still pick the 7800? Or is there another Kuiu bag that might serve you better?

There have been alot of times I was glad I got the big bag and the way the bag can be managed I have never really felt like it was just too much, even on day hunts. I have only used the small bag a few times on summer hikes so even when I don't need all that volume I don't bother changing. the bags are very easy to swap.

You may want to checkout the packs the the boys of 'Born and Raised Outdoors" use...plus their zip up game bags....great system....my taxidermist buddy uses their bags these days....very versatile.....

might wanna check that you could even get a kifaru in that timeframe

i'd never consider an eberlestock having had a few in the past

i like my kuiu for being a lightweight pack and plan to get a kifaru for this season

might wanna check that you could even get a kifaru in that timeframe

i'd never consider an eberlestock having had a few in the past

i like my kuiu for being a lightweight pack and plan to get a kifaru for this season
Yeah. I saw on their site that they were moving and get your order in before May.

For the price, I'm kind of leaning toward Kuiu. What was it about Eberlestock that turned you off them?

Yeah. I saw on their site that they were moving and get your order in before May.

For the price, I'm kind of leaning toward Kuiu. What was it about Eberlestock that turned you off them?
weight and comfort

i haven't used their new frame system but based on past experience with multiple other packs and looking at the new ones i can't say i'd spend the money to try them

After seeing what I thought were gold mine cabins, I came to the conclusion that some one shot a large bull and did not want to pack it out. It is still the best meat I have eaten. I have seen some monster bulls from the air around King Salmon area. Good luck on your hunt sir.

After seeing what I thought were gold mine cabins, I came to the conclusion that some one shot a large bull and did not want to pack it out. It is still the best meat I have eaten. I have seen some monster bulls from the air around King Salmon area. Good luck on your hunt sir.
Thank you! If anything, it will at least be a good time.

Recent Posts