Help with pack for moose Kifaru vs Eberlestock or Kuiu?

I leave in 3.5 weeks for Alaskan Moose. Kind of a last minute hunt invite.

It's a boat/river hunt with some friends. Outside King Salmon. I know almost nothing about the area. I'm so unprepared.

I hunt a lot, but, I don't do much backpack hunting. Most of my hunting is done outside the USA or with day packs and road access close enough that a good pack isn't as important. Aoudad, Mule Deer, Whitetail and Pronghorn all on private land. I don't do much on public land other than a couple Elk and drop camp Caribou.

I need a good pack mainly because my back isn't great, but I can manage. Looking at Kifaru or Eberlestock? Which one and why one over the other?

Does Kifaru put more weight on your hips rather than shoulders? Or are they about even?

Barneys Sports Chalet, Anchorage. External frame. The best pack ever for large loads. I bought mine when I was there in 2011. Moved back to MT and hands down most comfortable pack I've owned. My son has used it to haul out 3 bones out bull elk . This year camp, mountain goat, meat, hide between the 2 of us back to base camp 4 miles one trip.

How did the hunt go, what pack did you use, and how did it work for you?
Bc of the massive amount of rain they got, we postponed it to 2023.

I bought a Kuiu and EXO. I thought both were great, but went with the EXO, even though it's a bit heavier (not much. Only a few Oz) . I haven't had much of a chance to test it out though since a day pack is all we need here for Aoudad.

Bc of the massive amount of rain they got, we postponed it to 2023.

I bought a Kuiu and EXO. I thought both were great, but went with the EXO, even though it's a bit heavier (not much. Only a few Oz) . I haven't had much of a chance to test it out though since a day pack is all we need here for Aoudad.
I am sure the last minute cancellation was disappointing but all of the rain likely would have made for a miserable trip.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had been waiting on a shoulder strap for my Kifaru. I got antsy as it got closer to hunting season so I ordered an EXO myself. Of course, the Kifaru shoulder strap showed up right after the EXO pack did. I kept the EXO anyway and used it all fall. I really like it. It is comfortable and carries a load well.

Last edited:
In my world, ounces are pounds, pounds are pain. Find the lightest you can afford that will complete your task the best.

Weight
Comfort
Accessibility
Color
Wind/rain/weather proof
Scent (lock if needed)
Durability
Size
Back brace

I look at all of the above when picking my gear. The list is in no certain order, only you can pick what is most important to you. But, a novice may not know what should be most important, not saying you are, just in general. Watch and listen the the ones who have made it back, they figured or something along the way, right?

Have a safe hunt, bring good pictures back with you.

You never mentioned how long you will need it for. That will make a big difference as well. Maybe look into a simple ruck sack like we use in the Army. It meets all if not most of requirements.

In my world, ounces are pounds, pounds are pain. Find the lightest you can afford that will complete your task the best.

Weight
Comfort
Accessibility
Color
Wind/rain/weather proof
Scent (lock if needed)
Durability
Size
Back brace

I look at all of the above when picking my gear. The list is in no certain order, only you can pick what is most important to you. But, a novice may not know what should be most important, not saying you are, just in general. Watch and listen the the ones who have made it back, they figured or something along the way, right?

Have a safe hunt, bring good pictures back with you.

You never mentioned how long you will need it for. That will make a big difference as well. Maybe look into a simple ruck sack like we use in the Army. It meets all if not most of requirements.
You are not wrong. That's a good priority list.

I thought the Kuiu was great, but the EXO seemed to be built better/stronger.

Is a comparable Kifaru heavier than an EXO?

I thought the Kuiu was great, but the EXO seemed to be built better/stronger.

Is a comparable Kifaru heavier than an EXO?
Kifaru, EXO and Stone Glacier are excellent made in the USA packs that will handle more weight than you can. Kifaru will be the heaviest base weight, EXO and SG are comparable depending on what setup you chose.

KUIU is ultralight made in China garbage compared to the above. I've owned them all and there is no comparison once you've got real weight in them.

I would rather have a little heavier pack and be more comfortable with a heavy load than worry about initial pack weight. If I was backpacking that would be different. Hunting I want to carry my animals out in as few loads as possible. There is other aerias to cut weight. Good boots good pack and good shelter after that I will compromise some on weight.

Recent Posts