Help with new WSM wildcat

mike33

Going to take delivery this week of my new 25 wsm and was looking for opinion on starting loads. Im using the 270 wsm case in a 10 twist 26" Broughton barrel. I prefer the 100 grain bullets hoping to achieve close to my 257 whby. vel. Looking for opinion on powders weather fast burning like H-414 or the slower burning 4831 and on. My first experience with a short mag.
Mike

No idea on powder, but that sounds like a kick^&* quarter bore! Im very much looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Good Luck!!

I would give the slower range a try, like IMR/H 4350, RL19, AA3100, IMR/H 4831, RL22. I use this range in the .25-06 and got great velocity and accuracy. It seems some of the folks on here are getting superb velocity with RL17 in the WSM case. You may want ot give that a try also. JohnnyK.

The 264-300 wsm I did a couple years ago liked H-414. I couldn't get enough of anything slower than I-4350 in the case. I agree you should focus from RE-17 to I-4350 and H-414 falls right in that area. I use Wichester WMR quite a bit which is basically a ball 4831 and I couldn't get near enough of that in the case and ball powder packs real well so that should give you an idea.

Thanks everyone, I was kind of looking at re-17 and 414. I was playing with a 300 saum last year and 414 worked as good as anything. The slower powders say 4831 etc., you basicly couldnt get enough powder in the case. Yes, im hoping it will be like a missle. I think it shoulnt of been overlooked when they did the wsm's due to you can seat the bullet out pretty good. Im hoping it will be efficient i have spent enough money on the project. Reamer, barrel, short mag donor action, dies etc. And if it dont work im **** out of luck on barrel due to the large case diameter.
Mike

I think it will work just fine and you will love it. I have numerous 25's from the blown out '06 case to the 257 wby and 257 stw. I shoot the 100 grain barnes ttsx and the 100 swift with a .429 BC. We have taken antelope size stuff to caribou size stuff with very good success. But as you say, if you don't like it you are sol unless you so a 25-300 ultramag.

I've been having excellent results with my 270 WSM and R17 as long as I stay with the lighter 110 gr bullets, with the 140 gr + it sucks bad. I would think it would work real well in a 25 cal WSM and would be my first try, it works real well in a 250AI also!

I think it will work just fine and you will love it. I have numerous 25's from the blown out '06 case to the 257 wby and 257 stw. I shoot the 100 grain barnes ttsx and the 100 swift with a .429 BC. We have taken antelope size stuff to caribou size stuff with very good success. But as you say, if you don't like it you are sol unless you so a 25-300 ultramag.
LOL, thats all i need to have to go to another action and stock. I have faith it will work had fun planning the project. I named it the 25 Bobcat, i own a landscaiing business with bobcats Bobcat Landscping Service. Dave Manson made my custom reamer i asked if i could name it, why not. There is panther's, cheetahs, and dashers, why not a bobcat :)
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.