Help with new hunting scope

Or if you are just happy with yourself and where you are in your own life and not in peak physical shape .

The man wants a nice balanced rifle TO HIM. Has zero to do with his physical shape. It wasnt part of his discussion saying I am a bit out of shape or I'm a bit porky. He just wants TO HIM is a nice balanced rifle with his particulars he is after. That's it nothing more.

Absolutely agreed. I want to be clear that I'm not attacking anyone's physical condition; I'm trying to make the opposite point, in fact, and defend people's option to get the rifle they want, even if it's not what I'd want.

I've looked back over my post and edited it to better articulate my point (I hope).

How did we get here from a question about scopes anyway?

Last edited:
I have my rifle parts out at the gunsmith being fit up into a hunting rifle. Winchester 70 action, PTG bottom metal, 24" Brux chambered in 300 Sherman, all bedded in a alum bedding block composite stock.

Specs for optic:
warranty - easy to use
mil-mil
low power - 5x max
reticle - MRAD Xmas tree
weight - 32 oz max
high power - 20x is about the most I can use
objective - <= 50mm

Looking at
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 RD FFP
Athlon Ares BTR GEN2 2.5-15×50 APLR3 FFP IR MIL HD
Vortex
VIPER® PST™GEN II 3-15X44 FFP EBR-7C (MRAD) Reticle

i think they fall into a $600-$800 price point depending on sales. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Do you have one? How is it working?

i feel like Athlon and Vortex have the best warranty....not sure, but how is Meopta warranty?

Also, my 5-25x Vortex is quite clear, but I read the Meoptas might even be better!

In an effort to get things back on track, I can at least speak for the Vortex. I have the 3-15x44 in MOA and I love it. I've used it out to 1400yds and it tracks perfectly. It's not too heavy either. The exposed turrets (especially windage) need watching on a hunt, but I've never missed because of it. I've been running to for two years and the scope is holding up, though the elevation turret detents are getting a little softer, so we'll see how that lasts. Aside from that it's a heck of a bargain for the price. I have a Gen 1 razor HD also, and I honestly I don't know how Vortex is going to sell those anymore.

The only downside for hunting I would mention is the FFP reticle is legit hard to see at 3-5x. It's illuminated, and that helps, but you still might consider a SFP for that application.

It's funny... we literally just had the "light rifle vs gym membership" debate on another thread in this forum. There was no clear winner, since that's an extremely subjective question. Do you want a rifle that's easy to carry or easy to shoot? Personally I carry heavier rifles, but that's because I am a better hiker than a shooter.

I wouldn't accuse anyone with a light rifle of necessarily being out of shape; that's absolutely non sequitur. Plus it leads to disconnected arguments with faceless strangers online. Only you can tell if you're (correctably) out of shape. If you are, then start there. Once you've checked that box, then it's time to improve your gear.

quoting my earlier post...
It is well balanced to slightly heavy on a 9.5 lb rifle....so, I'm guessing I'm looking at 11.5lbs. Is that ok?

I like the Vortex and Meopta, it is a tough choice between the 2 for me. I have not needed the warranty on any scopes from either yet. As stated earlier, I would also include the VX-5hd from Leupold. I have the 3-15 and the 2-10 and i have really fallen in love with the 2-10 now that it has the Zl2 turret. It is light and reliable and I think the glass is more than what you pay for. That said I only shoot to 600 and hunt 500 so I don't really require some of the longer range features of the higher end optics out there.

Better question would have been, is it a no question warranty?

They talk pretty candidly about what they will cover on this podcast.

Scan through it. I forget exactly. I interpreted it as for my own purchase that they would cover anything I could do it to it.

The only thing I noticed really different from Vortex, is Vortex acts like they will clean lenses and lube prongs if you ask.

Will do. Although, it is on backorder....hopefully less than 3 months o_O
I have a meopta 3-18 optica 6 with the diacro reticle moa on a 6.5 prc curtis axiom action 26 in proof sendero light ag stock diamond trigger tech trigger curtis bottom metal its a hunting rig also have a athlon ares btr stillin the box the diacro ret gets you on target quick I personally really like it

I have a meopta 3-18 optica 6 with the diacro reticle moa on a 6.5 prc curtis axiom action 26 in proof sendero light ag stock diamond trigger tech trigger curtis bottom metal its a hunting rig also have a athlon ares btr stillin the box the diacro ret gets you on target quick I personally really like it
I cancelled that backorder after 5-6 months....still not in stock at Sportoptics.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts