Help with new hunting scope

I have an Optika6 and a Viper, both are 3x18x50; no question the glass is better in the Meopta. In fact, I think it's very close to a VX6.

Truth hurts.
Seriously!!!! Just wow!!!!

The man is asking about a lighter setup and good to great balanced rifle for him. Not for ANYONE ELSE. JUST HIM.... nobody knows his life or his fitness or even health concerns. I cant run a 1/2 mile or dead lift 100 lbs. Know why I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and my DR said NO running. Every joint in my body that can be affected IS by my RA. I am just happy to be able to work at age 51. Sorry Rant over.

But sir OP, you get what you think is best for your situation and I hope its exactly what you wanted and enjoy your great balanced rifle.

SEGARE..... NOW THATS GREAT ADVICE. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!

I have the 4.5-27 x50 Optika 6 on my Savage Stealth BA in 6.5cm. For what I paid for it there is nothing better. In my situation it's not a hunting rifle so the heavier the better.

You'll like the Meopta and I am like you that a 1/2 lb does not affect me either way.

I definitely like my Vortex PST II for the money, but I don't know anything about the other brands listed. For hunting scopes I like the Leupold VX-6HD (or VX-5... 90% of the performance for 60% of the price). For an ultimate lightweight hunting scope, I'd recommend the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 at 21oz, but that may be more than you want to spend. I bet you wouldn't regret it though.

It's funny... we literally just had the "light rifle vs gym membership" debate on another thread in this forum. There was no clear winner, since that's an extremely subjective question. Do you want a rifle that's easy to carry or easy to shoot? Personally I carry heavier rifles, but that's because I am a better hiker than a shooter.

I wouldn't accuse anyone with a light rifle of necessarily being out of shape; that's absolutely non sequitur. Plus it leads to disconnected arguments with faceless strangers online. Only you can tell if you're (correctably) out of shape. If you are, then start there. Once you've checked that box, then it's time to improve your gear.

Last edited:
I did a year or 2 ago and really didn't like it in the store. Could have been amazing in the wild.
It's changed a bit. The new model just came out with a locking windage turret. The only thing they don't have...yet, is FFP. I'm patiently waiting! LOL

So you just called me fat and out of shape again because I'm looking for a balanced rifle that shoots well off a rest or from field positions??

I'm glad this fits your mantra. Go pee on someone else's thread your comments are irrelevant to the subject.
I was starting to question what an individual's specific physical performance criteria are required to participate on this site. Pretty elite group of guys, huh?

Only you can tell if you're off your physical peak. If you are, then absolutely start there.

Or if you are just happy with yourself and where you are in your own life and not in peak physical shape .

The man wants a nice balanced rifle TO HIM. Has zero to do with his physical shape. It wasnt part of his discussion saying I am a bit out of shape or I'm a bit porky. He just wants TO HIM is a nice balanced rifle with his particulars he is after. That's it nothing more.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.