Help with new hunting scope

nksmfamjp

I have my rifle parts out at the gunsmith being fit up into a hunting rifle. Winchester 70 action, PTG bottom metal, 24" Brux chambered in 300 Sherman, all bedded in a alum bedding block composite stock.

Specs for optic:
warranty - easy to use
mil-mil
low power - 5x max
reticle - MRAD Xmas tree
weight - 32 oz max
high power - 20x is about the most I can use
objective - <= 50mm

Looking at
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 RD FFP
Athlon Ares BTR GEN2 2.5-15×50 APLR3 FFP IR MIL HD
Vortex
VIPER® PST™GEN II 3-15X44 FFP EBR-7C (MRAD) Reticle

i think they fall into a $600-$800 price point depending on sales. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Do you have one? How is it working?

i feel like Athlon and Vortex have the best warranty....not sure, but how is Meopta warranty?

Also, my 5-25x Vortex is quite clear, but I read the Meoptas might even be better!

I have a meopta optika 6 and have been very impressed with it very clear and tracks good in fact I will be talking to doug at cameraland to order another and as far as warranty I have only heard of a couple people that have had to use it and they seemed very satisfied No matter what you decide on give doug a call they always do better price wise over the phone very good folks to deal with

Last edited:
I just wonder if anybody has used it and received satisfaction. I'm pretty sure Athlon and Vortex can meet my warranty expectations.

still, I hate to buy for the warranty.

It's not Meopta but I have a couple of European scopes that have the same warranty. "I" personally do not have a problem with an $800 investment with a 30-year warranty just like a $50K+ vehicle with only 4-6 years warranty (extended extra) ... but that's just "me." Between your 3 choices, I would go with Meopta.

Meopta Optika CZ made e-mail response..JPG

Good luck!

Ed

I studied the Meopta. I kind of get the donut. For minute of deer shooting at high speed like my 15 yd deer 2 years ago, it overcomes some of the FFP struggles on 3x.

When when you have 1 mil of elevation and 0.5 mil of wind, then it is kind of a pain.

300 Sherman: 305 yd 7mph crosswind E1.1 W0.4

Not impossible, but you have to learn it.

How is the illumination....Just a center plus, right?

You're not spending enuf. NightForce, SchmidtBender, Zeiss, Swaro ---- first cost is least cost.
Huh!

I get you! I could spend more, but these are at a weight limit. I have no interest in heavier!

I bought the Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 MRAD FFP. Should be fine considering Vortex optics are good enough to me!

30oz is not a light optic. It is well balanced to slightly heavy on a 9.5 lb rifle....so, I'm guessing I'm looking at 11.5lbs. Is that ok? Meet your approval? It is about making a reasonable well balanced rig that you can make hits with in the field.....and at a decent price.

Last edited:
Like it or not the individual toting the rifle breaks down way before the gear 9/10 times. Rather than be too winded to make it up a hill, poor trigger control leading to missed shots, etc. The shooter is the biggest variable in this game. Anybody that says otherwise isn't being honest with themselves.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts