Help with my 6.5 long range gun.

Darryl Cassel

Hello

The 6.5/300 Steve Shelp and I have had lots of experiance with.
Al Hoyer built his (most of them) on a Winchester Md 70 actions and used Douglas 28" Stainless barrels on them.
He did find out early on that, the 8 twist was the best for the heavier bullest.

I just sold a Hoyer Gun chambered in the 6.5/300 Weatherby and the load it liked was 83 to 87 Grs of WC872 (H870 is about the same but go 2 grs lighter) and the 140 Gr or 142 gr Sierra MK. 83 grs in the summer and up to 87grs in the winter.
That combination(87 grs and the 140 or 142 gr) is deadly in the winter time shooting across the mountains of PA. after whitetail.
The 8 twist is a must in the 6.5/300 using 140 or heavier bullets.

Good luck and good shooting.

By the way, I still have two 6.5/300 Weatherby's and like them a lot. The 6.5 Gibbs and the 6.5/06 are also very good. I can't seem to get away from the 6.5 for very long.

Later
Darryl Cassel

My father is passing his A. Hoyer 6.5 x 300 long range hunting gun on to me (actually 2 of them). Unfortunately, he shot full metal jacket bullets out of the gun and with a powder which is no longer available. I would like to find a type of bullet and powder combination to hunt mule deer from a range of 500 - 1000 yards. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction to get me started with a favorite bullet/powder combination for this gun

Thanks Darryl. THe 6.5 in question does have the thicker stainless steel barrel and also did great shooting PA whitetails.

My Dad tells me he used H202 Military propellant powder with a 139 grain boat-tail He thinks it was a norma, but
will have to check.

I will check on the barrel and post info when I have it. Thanks again.

Brett,
I've been away from this site for awhile and I see alot has gone on. Been very busy but your post is right up my alley.

Darryl, is correct for hunting loads for that rifle. For all out accuracy in the "6.5" as most of the old-timers refered to the 6.5-300 many years back I've found no better than IMR7828. But you have to slow it down between 3200 and 3300fps for that. But for hunting loads we always used H870 for the extra velocity and decent accuracy. I never used the surplus powders Darryl mentioned above though so I can't give you any personal experience with it. I've got to agree with the other numbers given though.

As for the 8" twist if you do use the 155gr bullets you will need it. I've shot them through a 9" and no go. but Iwould stay with the 140's anyway seeing how your rifle is already troated for them. Plus the Sierra 142gr isn't but a couple of points of the BC of the 155 anyway.

Let us know if you need any other help.

Steve

The 139gr bullets, and you also mentioned steel jackets..... has to be the old Norma 512 or 513 bullets which were 139gr bullets. Still have some around here myself. We use to cut the nose some on a lathe to help the bullet open up. Then started using Sierra MK and never looked back. Have fun with your new toys. Mine needs a new barrel.

More info on the gun:

Douglas stainless steel barrel with a twist in eight, on a pre "64" winchester action and a carrying gun, not a bench gun. We are shooting 87 grains of H202

Thanks for all the help to date.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.