Help with moa /scope on a build

RockyMtnUT

Sorry,if this is in wrong area.

I have a bartlein#3 contour 26" 8.3 twist 28 Nosler 195 bergers

Stiller predator with 20moa not installed yet.

Nightforce shv 5-20x56 moar.

McMillan stock ....etc.

This is going to be used for hunting long range, I understand about ethical shots and pages of what I should or shouldn't do as far a shooting long range.

I have one last piece to get and that is my rings.
I am wondering if I even need the 20 moa or will I be ok to shoot@100yrd to 1100?
I am asking for help to order my rings as close to the barrel (seekins,nightforce,American rifle company rings) without hitting. I need as much cheek weld as I can.
My rifle is still in peices at the gunsmith and I would like to order rings before gun arrives?

Any help on ring size/ 20moa rail if needed. Thanks Ryan

So you have a 20 MOA rail correct?

I wouldn't even consider the amount of elevation built into the rail, as far as scope positioning goes, it's going to be in the same place as with a standard rail and you'll get another revolution out of your scope if you choose to shoot that far.

As far as keeping your scope down, you're going to probably be stuck with low or medium rings. That 56mm objective is going to stick up a ways and there's nothing you can do about it other than choose a scope with a smaller objective. My offhand guess would be that with that rail you could probably get Low (not extra low but Low) rings. It's going to be close and it may come down to having enough clearance to fit a scope cap on the front but I would try Low rings first and then move up to medium if necessary.

Good luck.

Cross

I have a stiller Predator with a 20 MOA rail and I used a low (.73) ring height with a 50 MM objective. I would doubt that you would be able to get away with anything less than a MED with a 56mm objective. As an aside it takes me just over 18 MOA to get to 1000 with my 28 Nosler at 3060 FPS so you should have plenty of scope travel.
Here is a calculator to try out:
https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/scope-ring-height-clearance-calculator/

I have a stiller Predator with a 20 MOA rail and I used a low (.73) ring height with a 50 MM objective. I would doubt that you would be able to get away with anything less than a MED with a 56mm objective. As an aside it takes me just over 18 MOA to get to 1000 with my 28 Nosler at 3060 FPS so you should have plenty of scope travel.
Here is a calculator to try out:
https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/scope-ring-height-clearance-calculator/
Thank you, what brand of rings do you have?

So you have a 20 MOA rail correct?

I wouldn't even consider the amount of elevation built into the rail, as far as scope positioning goes, it's going to be in the same place as with a standard rail and you'll get another revolution out of your scope if you choose to shoot that far.

As far as keeping your scope down, you're going to probably be stuck with low or medium rings. That 56mm objective is going to stick up a ways and there's nothing you can do about it other than choose a scope with a smaller objective. My offhand guess would be that with that rail you could probably get Low (not extra low but Low) rings. It's going to be close and it may come down to having enough clearance to fit a scope cap on the front but I would try Low rings first and then move up to medium if necessary.

Good luck.

Cross
Yes, I have Stiller 20 moa rail. Thanks fir the help

With a 34mm tube and 56mm objective, .92" "low" rings will clear up to a Sendero contour barrel with a 20MOA rail in most cases.

This is actually a 52mm objective

I am wondering if I even need the 20 moa or will I be ok to shoot@100yrd to 1100?

Advise from an optics SME ...

tWSBOEK.jpg

Is there a bigger shop were you live that carries rings that you want? If so I would just go there and take your gun with when it's finished and buy the rings from them, because they can fit you up with the right rings without buying more then one set of rings. Specially if you have a mom and pop store that carries some good stuff. Even if you trust them mounting your scope let them mount it up to see if it fits then just mount it yourself and relevel it your way.

Is there a bigger shop were you live that carries rings that you want? If so I would just go there and take your gun with when it's finished and buy the rings from them, because they can fit you up with the right rings without buying more then one set of rings. Specially if you have a mom and pop store that carries some good stuff. Even if you trust them mounting your scope let them mount it up to see if it fits then just mount it yourself and relevel it your way.
I thought the exact thing, I was trying to figure it out because I have enough points on amazon to get them for free was all. I think I'll end doing just as you suggest. Thanks

The one Stiller Predator I have had Nightforce rings on it.

These days I'm using Xtreme Hardcore Gear rings.

They're beefy

Call the folks at Mile High Shooting, give them your optic and stock specs and have them set you up with a SPUHR. Tell them how much spacing you'd like between your barrel and the objective. Multiple options for additional MOA cant and height. Best of all its super light, has a built in bubble level, and it is rock solid...and, it will resell for nearly the original purchase price if you ever decide to sell it.

They arent cheap, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'll say they arent one of, if not the best mount, it also has options for top mounting LRF/thermal/NV/backup red dot, etc. Put some resin on it when mounting. You could drop it off a cliff after that and your optic wouldnt budge.

They offer a mil/LEO discount as well.
https://www.milehighshooting.com/spuhr-sp-3002-30mm-picatinny-mount-0mil-0moa-1-5-black/

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.