Help with Lightweight 6.5 build

Just for reference.....

700 long action, fluted bolt, factory BDL bottom metal, McMillan Edge Game Scout, 24" 6.5 Bartlein 2b, Trigger Tech trigger....

7 pounds on the nuts:

x5G763o.jpg
Very nice looking rifle

I agree, nice looking and great components, most of which would be my choice as well.

BUT... at 7 lbs. bare rifle it ain't lightweight, just medium weight. I think lightweight begins around 6 pounds for a bare rifle. That's why I bought a 6 lb. 1 oz. 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro instead of doing the much more expensive build I was starting to plan.

That rifle has everything I wanted because Browning made it their "semi custom" rifle with many extras not available even on the upgraded Hell's Canyon rifles.

Eric B.

I agree, nice looking and great components, most of which would be my choice as well.
BUT... at 7 lbs. bare rifle it ain't lightweight, just medium weight.
FYI, I didn't claim it to be a lightweight rifle, hence the "Just for reference" heading....

It was to show that there wasn't any big trick to build a bare gun to 7 pounds. BTW, I topped it with a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce with Seekins rings and rail, adding 1 lb 12 ozs to the total.

My "mountain" gun is a 7-08 at 6-12 scoped......

FYI, I didn't claim it to be a lightweight rifle, hence the "Just for reference" heading....

It was to show that there wasn't any big trick to build a bare gun to 7 pounds. BTW, I topped it with a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce with Seekins rings and rail, adding 1 lb 12 ozs to the total.

My "mountain" gun is a 7-08 at 6-12 scoped......
What's your opinion on that nxs for a mountain rifle?

You kinda just got me arroused. U have almost what i want to the T. I just cant do a 26nosler due to barrel life. I dont mind replacing barrels as i see them like tires. U dont put tires on a car and not drive it due to having to many ponies behind them and not wanting to replace ur tires cuz u cant get off the pedal. But by the time i get done with ammo and powder and seating and ammo temp and rifle temp testing i kinda need those 600 rounds to feel like i know the ins and outs in my guns.

I totally get the barrel life concern Luckily I got load development done pretty quickly. 26 nos is something I wanted to play with and see what kind of performance I could get out of it and when the barrel is gone probably going to a 338 edge.

Does anyone know when seekins is gunna start shipping there new percision rifle dbm? I cant decide between the h.s or seekins dbm. Also what mags are most running wsm&saum mags?

My 300 wsm is a HS precision DBM and their magazine limited me from being able to seat 190 Berger's to my lands. Luckily the 185 classic hunters shot well off the lands. May check into the overall length of the HS mag and see if it will work for u. I would personally recommend going with something that will accept AI mags.

Well this is what i ended up with.
25" proof sendero 1-8twist
ADG composite stock
Defiance deviant hunter
Accurate mag
Trigger tech trigger.
I have 100 rounds fireformed and 15 rounds loaded up with 147 eldm and 59gr of h1000 to test tom for seating depth.
Also i have a cherry bomb on it cuz my trash panda should be here soon..

Attachments

• 20190721_180605.jpg
    20190721_180605.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 62573.jpeg
    62573.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 62575.jpeg
    62575.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 212
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.