Help with light weight .338RUM build

Topshot

I am looking for advice on building .338RUM with mimimum weight. I plan to shoot the 250 grain Berger bullets when they are released. Do you think that a 1 : 10 twist will stabilise them? What would be better?

What would be the shortest barrel length practical without excessive velocity loss.

What would be the thinest barrel profife without substantial accuracy loss on three shot groups.

Action, thinking Remington 700 to keep cost down but have access to Lawton actions also.

With a scope weight limit of about 20oz, what scope would you use? Thinking Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5 - 16 x 42.

Mounts, need to be reliable and strong but light.

Stock, thinking of Manners T4 but not sure?

Brake, needs to be a good one.

Any help and advice would be great.

I have a Defensive Edge Stalker in 338rum.
HS precision pro series stock
Rem 700 action
Hart #5 26" fluted barrel - 1 in 10
DE brake - makes the gun very comfortable to shoot
The gun weighs around 8.5#'s
It wears a Nightforce 2.5x10x32 scope
The gun is a tack driver.
I am shooting the Barnes 225 grain ttsx bullets - H1000 powder and CCI 250mag primers

My buddy shoots a Savage weather warrior 338 win he has the Bushnel 6500 elite on it. He really likes the scope. They have a pretty good discount program if you are a firearm safety instructor.

The thought of a light weight 338 makes be break out in a cold sweat.....

Get a muzzle break, you're going to need it....

The thought of a light weight 338 makes be break out in a cold sweat.....

Get a muzzle break, you're going to need it....
Robbin,
I am talking light weight by RUM standards. I would say the rifle all up with scope is going to be about 9lb.

I have a 9lb .458WM that I shoot prone off a Bipod without a brake so am not worried about recoil.

With a good brake the .338RUM will be a ***** to shoot.

You are tougher than I am, that's all there is too it. My step son has a stock Rem 300RUM. It's no fun too shoot on a bench or prone. He put a break on it, it's still no FUN to shoot, but it doesn't HURT now.

I would love to get a 338 for the long range performance it has, but I enjoy shooting, and I don't think I would enjoy shooting that.

Good luck, don't forget to update us on your build.
Robbin

A 300 win mag is about the most recoil I can tolorate and still shoot well for an extended period of time in an un-braked gun. That being said my 338rum from Defensive Edge with their brake is a pleasure to shoot. The recoil is about the same push as a 308 - I say push because there is no sharp crack.

I have shot un-braked 300rums on several occasions and can tell you that after a few rounds they are no fun to shoot.

Robbin - I would recommend that your step son get a different brake for his gun. I have had good luck with the Defensive Edge brake and the brake that Jim at Center Shot Rifles makes.

I am looking for advice on building .338RUM with mimimum weight. I plan to shoot the 250 grain Berger bullets when they are released. Do you think that a 1 : 10 twist will stabilise them? What would be better?

What would be the shortest barrel length practical without excessive velocity loss.

What would be the thinest barrel profife without substantial accuracy loss on three shot groups.

Action, thinking Remington 700 to keep cost down but have access to Lawton actions also.

With a scope weight limit of about 20oz, what scope would you use? Thinking Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5 - 16 x 42.

Mounts, need to be reliable and strong but light.

Stock, thinking of Manners T4 but not sure?

Brake, needs to be a good one.

Any help and advice would be great.

The Remington action is a good choice because of all the after market parts that are available.

The barrel contour I would recomend would be a #4 or fluted #5 Lilja 22 or 23" long (The brake
will add 1.5+" to the overall length).

I would use the Holland Quick Discharge break because it is very effective and light weight.
(The Round one).

Composites stocks are all about the same weight so it is just a matter of what you like.

For the scope I would look at a Leupold because of the weight and most important Leupold
has the most eye relief and with a light rifle you will need all you can get for shooting out
of position (Hunting situations hardly ever have perfect shooting positions).

Also I would recomend the use of bullets that weight 210 to 225 grains for best performance
in this type and weight of rifle.

This combination should weigh in arround 8 lbs fully dressed and ready to go but should be
very manageable and recoil should not be an issue.

J E CUSTOM

Hi mate,with the right profile i would go 27-30 inches,i am having a 6.5-284 built right now on a lawton 7500 single shot(2.2lbs) it is along the same lines you are after i went with a 30" fluted barrel with a taper much like a palma contour(5lbs),i haven't decided on a stock but im likely to go for the manners mcs-ta(3.4lbs with adj cp)or holland signature(approx 2lbs),the rem 700 action is lighter than the action i am using,leupold mk4's are fairly light scopes.The T4 may be a bit heavy for what you want.

The barrel contour I would recomend would be a #4 or fluted #5 Lilja 22 or 23" long (The brake
will add 1.5+" to the overall length).

Also I would recomend the use of bullets that weight 210 to 225 grains for best performance
in this type and weight of rifle.

This combination should weigh in arround 8 lbs fully dressed and ready to go but should be very manageable and recoil should not be an issue.

J E CUSTOM

J E,
What sort of performance loss would you expect from a 22 or 23" barrel compared to say a 26" or 27" barrel in .338RUM? 8lbs sounds about right but could afford another 1 lb if it meant that I could get a bit longer barrel.

I like the idea of the 225 grain bullet. Some very good ones available. But I also like the 250 grain bullets also.

300R,

That outfit might go over 11 pounds with the longer barrel once I you fit a scope and mounts. Sort of looking of about 9 lbs max, as I already have a 14lb big gun in .338Edge.

J E,
What sort of performance loss would you expect from a 22 or 23" barrel compared to say a 26" or 27" barrel in .338RUM? 8lbs sounds about right but could afford another 1 lb if it meant that I could get a bit longer barrel.

I like the idea of the 225 grain bullet. Some very good ones available. But I also like the 250 grain bullets also.

300R,

That outfit might go over 11 pounds with the longer barrel once I you fit a scope and mounts. Sort of looking of about 9 lbs max, as I already have a 14lb big gun in .338Edge.

The reason for a shorter barrel is the handling not the weight. you don't gain that much
weight by adding 2" to the small end of the barrel.

If you want a 26" barrel it will end up at an overall length of about 28" with the break.

If you drop to 24" from 26" you will loose 50 to 60 ft/sec and have a rifle that is arround 26"
in barrel length.

I like longer barrels if I'm going to shoot 300gr bullets @ max velocity but the rifles become
awkward in a carry rifle also the longer the barrel is in a light contour the worse the
harmonics become making the rifle more finicky to load development.

I recomend keeping light barrels under 26" and heavy barrels under 34" because of barrel whip
in large caliber cartriges (Magnums).

J E CUSTOM

i have a light weight 338 Edge, with a new stock it will probably be around 8.5 lbs. i have a 28" finished barrel but the whole gun is less than 36" long. that's including a holland radial port brake. it's not bad at all to shoot recoil wise, now muzzle blast is a different story. it'll move your hair around a little. i can shoot the 225 ttsx over 3400, but my load is around 3250. it's a bullpup design that is the easiest packin and handling rifle i've ever seen. i can hunt everthing from groundhogs to elk with it and we'll say it's a great hunting gun that can be used for long range if necessary. shot my turkey at 850 last year. i'm getting one of the new Viper pst scopes for it that's under 20 oz. would be a great long range hunting scope for a carry gun in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.