Help with late season elk stategy

GoosePilot

Have hunted elk diy a half dozen times, mostly archery early season and a couple 2nd season rifle. So still very green in general with a little experience, no kills yet, but have been close to some very nice bulls on a couple hunts. Some hunts have not hardly even smelled elk.

Started applying for a limited draw unit that is supposed to take 10 years to draw. Hoped to gain necessary experience by then to capitalize on a mature bull. Well somehow I got drawn in 3rd year. Now what? Work this year dictates probably no realistic chance to hunt until mid November. Season runs until end of November.

Would you hire a guide (I never have before) to get access to private lands and some elk experience and better chance at better mature bull at this time of year?

Would you just study as much as possible and go diy again and hope to find something still on public land that late in the year?

Maybe able to get out this summer to scout a time or 2. Gain some familiarity with terrain. (Not sure how much will translate to late season). Went out once a couple years ago with my super cub and flew around one evening and one morning, but no on foot yet. Had planned to archery hunt a few years prior to permit.

I obviously have a bush plane and Alaska bush experience, mod Jeep, side by side with tracks, possibly buddies with pack horses not terribly far away that might get tricked into some help. Not totally opposed to hiring a guide or at least getting access to private.

Any suggestions or tactics in general would be appreciated.

Hunting late season bulls is just like hunting early season muley bucks. The bulls will be grouped up, generally up higher than the caws and spikes. The big ones are generally in the steep nasty holes.

A late season bull hunt in a good unit is probably my favorite hunt. Bring good glass, and practice your long range shooting. Also, like all other elk hunting, being in good physical shape is pretty much a must.

Which unit did you draw?

Thanks. Have had good glass and gear for 10 years or so. Grew up hunting south dakota white tail mule deer and antelope, but elk is relatively a new deal. Hunt nw sd alot and now just into se mt. Have hunted central mt last 3 years archery in early sept and rifle the last week of season. Have not seen much especially late season. Drew mt 799-20. Kind of look at this as rare opportunity to see and tag a larger mature bull and probably should spend some money rather than just stumbling around trying to figure out both new areas and late bulls. Like i said earlier, had planned to scout and hunt the unit for a number of years before getting this permit. Plans change. If i do go the guided or semi guided route, are there any suggestions? Really rather get access and pointed in the general direction than a guide that is going to do everything but pull the trigger. If i can shoot with a bow i would like to, but also proficient to 6-700 yards or so with a 7mm

Have hunted elk diy a half dozen times, mostly archery early season and a couple 2nd season rifle. So still very green in general with a little experience, no kills yet, but have been close to some very nice bulls on a couple hunts. Some hunts have not hardly even smelled elk.

Started applying for a limited draw unit that is supposed to take 10 years to draw. Hoped to gain necessary experience by then to capitalize on a mature bull. Well somehow I got drawn in 3rd year. Now what? Work this year dictates probably no realistic chance to hunt until mid November. Season runs until end of November.

Would you hire a guide (I never have before) to get access to private lands and some elk experience and better chance at better mature bull at this time of year?

Would you just study as much as possible and go diy again and hope to find something still on public land that late in the year?

Maybe able to get out this summer to scout a time or 2. Gain some familiarity with terrain. (Not sure how much will translate to late season). Went out once a couple years ago with my super cub and flew around one evening and one morning, but no on foot yet. Had planned to archery hunt a few years prior to permit.

I obviously have a bush plane and Alaska bush experience, mod Jeep, side by side with tracks, possibly buddies with pack horses not terribly far away that might get tricked into some help. Not totally opposed to hiring a guide or at least getting access to private.

Buy the absolute best hiking boots you can find & go hunting. By November they have been hunted for quite a while. Forget about all your gas powered toys. I had a coveted November tag 2 years ago that ran the whole month here in Idaho. I killed a 6x6 on the 28th. That was one of the hardest hunts I have ever had. I would glass until about 9:00 every morning & then head into the thick stuff where they would bed for the day. Watch the wind & creep around. Finally paid off with the biggest bull of my hunting career.
Good luck!

Buy the absolute best hiking boots you can find & go hunting. By November they have been hunted for quite a while. Forget about all your gas powered toys. I had a coveted November tag 2 years ago that ran the whole month here in Idaho. I killed a 6x6 on the 28th. That was one of the hardest hunts I have ever had. I would glass until about 9:00 every morning & then head into the thick stuff where they would bed for the day. Watch the wind & creep around. Finally paid off with the biggest bull of my hunting career.
Good luck!

i hear you. Dont worry the Kennetreks are well worn. I just listed the toys as scouting and or tools to access parts harder to get to depending on snow or not or if a block is land locked, i have options at my disposal. Hopefully can have horses and walk. But on the other end, i could use sxs and tracks or Cub on skiis and then snowshoes if needed. But im under the impression if there is that much weather, the elk will probably be mainly on private? Or is that not really the case being this unit is not high elevation. Do they stay scattered about throughout the unit late season?

I will try to get out once this summer and then again in early sept for a week each. What do I look for in sept that is going to be useful to narrow an area down for in late November when I've basically never been there before this year?

Get high as you can even at tree line if weather is ok. Plan for snow and plan for more snow. Depending upon how much you may have to alter strategies to accommodate bulls heading down. Snowshoes would be nice addition to consider. I've hunted 4th season a lot and had to head down off hill once due to 40+ inches of snow in 2 days. Truck barely made it down with chains. Did I mention chains? Late November can be real interesting with weather so plan for absolute worse you can think of and be prepared for it both with personal equipment and truck gear. Know terrain for altitude migration routes that elk will travel if heavy snow comes in and you just might hit a big migration herd which can be a sight beyond belief.

Elk will probably be doing things completely different in November vs September. As the snow increases in the higher elevation, they will begin their migration to their wintering areas. So, I would do as much research on migration routes, talking to biologist and locals as to where they see herds in the late season. Hopefully, it will be an area where you can hunt. Good luck!

Like Muddy mentioned, the weather will dictate a lot at that time of year but if you plan for it, it may work out well. For the extremes, the snowshoes are a great idea and the tire chains a must.

Get there early and be ready to stay all day. Movement was only at first and last light. Optics on a late season hunt are the most important item next to the weapon of choice that you are hunting with. Optics will save your legs and will help to confirm just what you are looking at when an animal makes an appearance

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.