Help with h59 reticle zero distance

Caleb517

Ok so I purchased a bushnell 3.5x21x50 and I went with this scope cause I like the h59 reticle but I have a few questions I just can't seem to find.
What range do I need to zero the scope? To be able to use the mils correctly?
Iam shooting a dpms lr-308 24in barrel and my handloads are 168gr Smks with 43.5gr of imr4064 velocity is around 2672fps.
Iam completely clueless on this reticle I've never shot with one before. All help is greatly appriciated, thanks in advance.

^Yes. I have the same scope and reticle. I enter my zero range into my ballistic software, which then calculates the reticle holdoffs vs target range. You can use almost any ballistic software with the H59 reticle.

Wat Bill said.

I have the same scope & reticle, Bushnell ERS 3.5- 21 X 50 and H 59 reticle.

I like a 200 meter zero for my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt.

Now my ERS is on a Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor and has the same zero distance. The reticle does not care if I set my zero at 200 meters or 400 meters. Just set once you are sighted in and then set the Zero Stop.

^^^^^^
The guys above have it 100% correct. I've got a 3.5-21x50 h59 and when used with a good ballistics program... I'm using Shooter... You can put in your bullet data and velocity data... You determine where you want to zero... Then it will spit out your holdovers for various ranges. You can also shoot some long distance shots to refine your calibrations within your ballistics program.

If you'd rather go old school, you can do that too. Zero your scope wherever you want it to be... Then shoot at distances such as 300, 400, 500, etc... The use your reticle to make note of drop distance using you reticle and then use this as your hold over data for the various ranges. You can also extrapolate holdovers for ranges in between two of your range points... Like 350 yards. Using your 300 hold over and your 400 hold over, you can get very close to determining the exact hold over for 350.

It's an awesome reticle and system. Have fun with it! I'd get a ballistics program... They're inexpensive and extremely useful. Good luck, have fun, and enjoy the scope!!!

Just zero at 100 meters your optic has more adjustment range than your can ever effecticaly use with a 308 winchester. Its important to note what the other posters said, and to understand it. This is not BDC rectical, its a mil based grid system. You have to do some work, but in the end its going to be more accurate than any bdc.

100% correct, you can zero at any distance. My .02 is just use a 100 meter zero ( the whole metric thing just helps if you don't use software). With that reticle I shoot out to 2200 meters with a hundred meter zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.