Help with grain please???

Fiveminutejimmy

I am trying to do my first elk hunt in Colorado this fall. I have so many opinions about moving up to 180 grain on my 300 asm because the 150 won't cut it. I hunt mainly whitetail here in Michigan. I was thinking of splitting the difference and going with Federals new trophy 165 grain. Ballistics look good. Any one got some experience with changing or recommend which grain? Thanks for any info!!

if you ment 300wsm any bullet 160 + will work. That is as long as it is a good quality bullet that will hold together after impact, like a nosler partition, a etip a barnes tsx AND you do your part with shot placement (your part is most likely the most important).

The 150's will work, but I would consider stepping it up to something heavier. I would even look at something in the 200+ grain range, including the 200gr Accubonds, the 210 Accubond Long Range, of the 210 or 215 Berger. This is assuming you are going to be doing longer range shooting...

If you want to stay light with a decent BC and have good terminal damage. Look into the LRx by Barnes. A little higher BC than the other Barnes. The lightest is 175gr for the 300.

I plan to use the 150s in my 7mm wsm. I feel it will be plenty out to 800 in the vitals for me.

I shoot a 300 WSM. Regular load is A-Max 208 though I have copper hunting loads worked up of various kinds. A couple of factory loads work in my rifle as well.

Your 300 WSM will like heavies. 180s+, I consider 180s the place to start. If you like copper CEB MTH or Lazer or Barnes LRX or TTSX.

If you want conventional, Nosler Partitions or Accubonds though I don't shoot them at game the reputation is good.

The A-Max is getting good reviews here as are various Bergers.

Good luck.

Fiveminute- you do not say bulls? cows? what rifle or scope? for factory ammo one of my first choices would be federaltipped trophy bonded 165 if they offer that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.