Help with getting started with new build

My bad, I forgot you were looking for a 6.5 haha. Too bad they don't have a short action Long Range Model 700, would like to see it in .260 Remington and some of the short action magnums, especially the 7mm SAUM, I really like that round!

Yeah, I really cannot fathom why the gun makers have not got on board with the 65's. It seems everyone wants one, me included. Savage have a few, but some people, me included, just don't want to go that route, as the problems with stocks, bottom metal etc...just are not for me.

But yeah, if they had a 65 Rem LR, I would not be posting here. I would be looking at my new rifle :)

But basically, I am trying to build one. Unfortunately, I found out tonight that my gunsmith is not taking on any more work for he foreseeable future. So all my plans are kinda in limbo.

Trying to find an alternative smith that is not expensive, but also considering just getting a Rem LR in 3006 or 7 mag and just using that (roughly 18 lbs of recoil for the load I would likely use). The other alternative are a Tikka CTR put into the M40 stock, or I actually am looking into a Tikka Sporter. Would switch the stock and maybe sell it.

But not sure. Could end up losing my shirt if the Tikkas don't shoot well, and then I have to do the rebarrel that I can't get done on the Remmy....so definitely in flux at the moment!

There's a custom built Remington chambered in 6.5 Creedmore in the classifieds! Not quite a .260 but close enough, he wants $1500 for it.

I saw that one and am thinking about it. I HATE that stock, however, and am kinda leery, he claims never to have shot it...just odd.

If he'd come off it a bunch and keep the stock, it might be worth it....

Yeah I don't really like those Choate stocks either. That rifle would look good with a B&C M40 in my opinion haha

You and I are on the same track!

Where did you find that deal on the ADL? Think that might work nicely for me as well.

I just checked out a Tika CTR in 260 a few minutes ago. Pretty nice as a platform, just basically switch the stock and replace that plastic shroud and the bolt knob. But in the end, I think my chances of getting a super accurate gun are better if I go the 'semi custom' route.

Like you, I don't need too many changes. I just want a nice rifle that fits right, shoots right, and looks decent too.

Headed down to a few more shops to see if I can find something decent to work with.

Please update on your project, really interested to see how it comes out for you. Who is doing the work?
Go to your nearest Cabelas right now. Rem. 700 ADL for $ 399.oo with a rebate from Rem. It is a .308 but you are only interested in the action.

Sarge,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the Cabelas deal is the 'rifle that did not work out' that I was alluding to. Even though it's advertised on their materials etc...the gun manager down there told me last week that he had not seen one in well over a month in their system, and there was no ETA on any new ones.

Anyway, after dickering with all this, trying to find a smith, talking with people, searching stores blah blah blah...I've decided to give up shooting and become a chef instead.

Wait, no, that was the nightmare I had last night.

I decided to buy a Tikka CTR, and that's what I did. Found a 'too low to advertise' deal, drove 2 hours yesterday and picked up their last one in 260.

It's now at my house and I am now struggling with mount issues, finding just a starter box of ammo etc.

Did find Lapua brass, Bergers and Amax's, some 4350 to go along with my RL17, 4831sc, RL15 (TONS left over from my 375 project), and some 4064 and Varget. One of those ought to work.

Scope, for the time being will be HD5 3-15 also from the 375 project.

I'll shoot it and see if it hits my fancy...not sure about the short barrel, so may not keep it. But if I like it, I'll be selling the stock and the bottom metal/mag and going to the M40 stock I like.

Problem with the mounts is that any mounts I buy now may not fit so well when I change the stock and put a different rail on it. So I appear forced into the position of buying something for 'right now', and losing that money later. Think I'll get the Burris Signatures for now, planning on TPS TSR's for later.

I do have some Vortex matched rings I got as a gift, but, well my scope is 1". I was considering picking up a Vortex HST, but looked through one and don't like the finicky eye box. So will either just keep the Zeiss on it or will have to consider something else. I'd just use the Zeiss, but not sure 15 power will do for me at 1k. My eyes are not what they used to be...15 power now looks like 9 power did 10 years ago. But we'll see, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Maybe I'll start a new thread to discuss the above. But on to the next hurdle in this little journey!

Sarge,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the Cabelas deal is the 'rifle that did not work out' that I was alluding to. Even though it's advertised on their materials etc...the gun manager down there told me last week that he had not seen one in well over a month in their system, and there was no ETA on any new ones.

Anyway, after dickering with all this, trying to find a smith, talking with people, searching stores blah blah blah...I've decided to give up shooting and become a chef instead.

Wait, no, that was the nightmare I had last night.

I decided to buy a Tikka CTR, and that's what I did. Found a 'too low to advertise' deal, drove 2 hours yesterday and picked up their last one in 260.

It's now at my house and I am now struggling with mount issues, finding just a starter box of ammo etc.

Did find Lapua brass, Bergers and Amax's, some 4350 to go along with my RL17, 4831sc, RL15 (TONS left over from my 375 project), and some 4064 and Varget. One of those ought to work.

Scope, for the time being will be HD5 3-15 also from the 375 project.

I'll shoot it and see if it hits my fancy...not sure about the short barrel, so may not keep it. But if I like it, I'll be selling the stock and the bottom metal/mag and going to the M40 stock I like.

Problem with the mounts is that any mounts I buy now may not fit so well when I change the stock and put a different rail on it. So I appear forced into the position of buying something for 'right now', and losing that money later. Think I'll get the Burris Signatures for now, planning on TPS TSR's for later.

I do have some Vortex matched rings I got as a gift, but, well my scope is 1". I was considering picking up a Vortex HST, but looked through one and don't like the finicky eye box. So will either just keep the Zeiss on it or will have to consider something else. I'd just use the Zeiss, but not sure 15 power will do for me at 1k. My eyes are not what they used to be...15 power now looks like 9 power did 10 years ago. But we'll see, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Maybe I'll start a new thread to discuss the above. But on to the next hurdle in this little journey!
Can't help at all with the Tikka and mount issue. I can offer a load for 139 gr. Lapua bullet and h-4831sc powder that shoots very well at 300 if you would like after you get set up..

Can't help at all with the Tikka and mount issue. I can offer a load for 139 gr. Lapua bullet and h-4831sc powder that shoots very well at 300 if you would like after you get set up..

That would be most appreciated, feel free to PM me if you are comfortable that way. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.