Help with getting started with new build

catorres1

After financial challenges followed closely by the unexpected need for immediate surgery...I am finally back to where I was months ago, trying to get a build going.

Havingt sold off two rifles to fund the project, I ultimately decided on building two rifles for my current needs. First, a range rifle in 6.5 creedmore or 260 (have not finally decided which yet). Later, I will follow up with a lightweight hunting rifle in 7 mag or 300 mag. Again, have not decided which yet.

Going with a 65 for the light recoil. Considered just loading the other two down for simplicities sake, but recoil is still significantly more, and reduced recoil loads may or may not provide the accuracy I need.

So I am in the mode of getting the action/stock worked out, which are linked because the stock fit is really probably the most important factor for me. I am tall, thin and with a long neck, so the Weatherby style works well, as does the M40 and anything else with a very high comb.

To that end, I have a few choices.

1) a Tika CTR in 260, drop it into a B&C M40 stock. Cost will be around 1250ish. Really not sure on this one. It would by far be the easiest, and I might be able to sell the stock online to lower the cost. But the barrel is much shorter than I really want, so the speed I want for 1k shooting will be lacking. That is, I am trying to match it's wind drift as closely as possible to the 7mag/300 that will eventually follow. With a 20" barrel, I have to guess that there will be a considerable divergence, but not exactly sure what velocities with 140's would look like. Plus, the other options all get me into Krieger (or whatever) barrels...more likely to have great accuracy, I would guess. But someone did a project similar to this and posted a pic on B&C's site....it looks pretty cool.
2) A Weatherby Vanguard Varmint RC (comes with a stock I like), and I like the S2 trigger on my son's vanguard. Rebarrel to a 65 cartridge, cost will be around 1500 with a Krieger barrel.
3) Get a long action Remington Long Range rifle in 3006. Comes with the M40 stock. Rebarrel to a 65 cartridge and replace trigger. Cost will come to about 1450 with a Krieger.
4) Get a Remington ADL/SPS/?, short action. Sell off the barrel etc. Order the M40 in the color I really want. New trigger Rebarrel with a 65. Someone I know may be interested in the barrel, and I have a line on a few deals that might make this work. If I get $150 for the barrel/stock...and can get some bottom metal for $100...This would probably run me about 1100ish.

Thoughts, and thanks in advance for your helpful input!

If you don't want to change barrels and do all of that. Savage sells their Long Range Hunter in .260 and 6.5 Creedmore. If it were me though, I would do Option #4 and do the short action Remington with a 1-8 Twist chambered in .260 Remington.

Jud,

Thanks for the reply. I thought about the Savage route. In fact, there was one for sale in the classifieds that had a B&C A2 stock and Criterion barrel on it already. The price was very reasonable, and I thought long and hard on it. In the end, I decided to pass, but it was tempting.

I think your advice on #4 is probably sound. If I need to get out of it, I think moving a Rem 700 action is probably the easiest. That option also allows me to choose the color of stock I want, as opposed to option 3. That's a really silly thing, but in this case, I am really trying (within my financial constraints) to get as close to exactly what I want as possible. I don't want to look back and say...'yeah but'...

That's the reason I don't like #1. It would be by far the fastest and easiest....I could be up and running by the end of the month. But how will it shoot? If it just pulls .99, it fulfills their guarantee, but I won't be satisfied with that. And then I'll lose money doing a rebarrel etc.

But one issue with having 'work' done, I am not sure who to use in my general area as a good gunsmith. I know one local guy, and he did a little work for me, that somewhat worked out but not completely. I am in Austin, TX, but anywhere from Dallas, to Houston to SA....I want someone that will stand behind their work, no hassels, no excuses, if that makes sense.

So trepidation all around, but it does seem #4 makes the most sense.

Thanks for your advice!

I went with option #4 after a long debate with my wallet. I really wanted to go with a Stiller Predator action, but couldn't justify the costs at the time.

I found a 700 ADL scope package (30-06) for $400 cash.
- Sold scope for $50
- Sold stock for $20
- Sold barrel for $75

$255 for a brand new 700 action isn't too bad.

I bought a Bartlein 6.5 blank (Building a 6.5 Sherman) and ordered a Greybull precision stock (made by B&C for Greybull). Went with a Timney trigger and PTG bottom metal.

I wanted a nice rifle, but wasn't going to spend a bunch of money changing the extractor, putting a side bolt release, etc. I can't wait to get the rifle back and see how it shoots!

You and I are on the same track!

Where did you find that deal on the ADL? Think that might work nicely for me as well.

I just checked out a Tika CTR in 260 a few minutes ago. Pretty nice as a platform, just basically switch the stock and replace that plastic shroud and the bolt knob. But in the end, I think my chances of getting a super accurate gun are better if I go the 'semi custom' route.

Like you, I don't need too many changes. I just want a nice rifle that fits right, shoots right, and looks decent too.

Headed down to a few more shops to see if I can find something decent to work with.

Please update on your project, really interested to see how it comes out for you. Who is doing the work?

You and I are on the same track!

Where did you find that deal on the ADL? Think that might work nicely for me as well.

I just checked out a Tika CTR in 260 a few minutes ago. Pretty nice as a platform, just basically switch the stock and replace that plastic shroud and the bolt knob. But in the end, I think my chances of getting a super accurate gun are better if I go the 'semi custom' route.

Like you, I don't need too many changes. I just want a nice rifle that fits right, shoots right, and looks decent too.

Headed down to a few more shops to see if I can find something decent to work with.

Please update on your project, really interested to see how it comes out for you. Who is doing the work?

I went with Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles. I was pretty impressed by his work and he has a great reputation for building excellent rifles.

I found the ADL on a local Facebook classifieds group in SE Idaho. If you're looking for a short action ADL, Dick's sports usually has them on sale during holiday events. My guess is a Memorial Day sale in a couple months. Good luck with the search!

Here's the rifle when I bought it:
IMG_9631.jpg

Greybull added a couple new colors for their stocks. I went with the dark grey stock:
unnamed-2.jpg

Dropped it into the stock to see the fit:
IMG_9637.jpg

All in all, it shouldn't be too bad. I'm having the action trued, barrel chambered and installed, barrel bead-blasted to a matte finish, recessed crown on barrel, and bedding the stock. I may flute the barrel to reduce a bit of the weight.

I think I'll end up looking at a pretty nice rifle for about $1700-1850 all said and done. It's a bit better than what a Stiller action and Manners stock were going to set me back!

PS - I had a Tikka 270 WSM and it flat out shot. They are great rifles for the money and I don't think you could go wrong going that route. I definitely see your concern about the 20" barrel though... I'd want at least a 24", but 26" would be ideal.

Well, looks like 4 should be the winner, however, circumstances appear to be against me here!

For this to work out best financially, I need to end up with an action for about 250. Thought I had that sorted, as Cabelas has ADL varmints for 400, and I figured I could probably get 150 for the parts I would discard. Well, turns out they don't have any at Cabelas, any Cabelas, and have been waiting on them for several months. So that's probably not going to happen.

I can get an ADL locally for 379 plus tax right now, but the barrel is the standard sporter. After taxes, it will finish at 410, so I would need to get $160 for all the parts to make this work out best.

I don't think that's going to happen. Did get a chance to look at a Long Range Rifle. It confirmed that the M40 stock is the best for me. The one I looked at was in 300 ultra...but I think I have located a couple in 3006. Assuming I can get 100 for the barrel, I can put the whole thing together for 1370. If I cannot, then the price increases to 1470. Giving me about 370ish to spend on an ADL to equal this.

Complicated, best laid plans and all that. Been looking to see if I can find better options. I have to hit a few more LGS's and start looking at pawn shops, though I have never seen a deal at any of those. Heh, that CTR is looking mighty tempting about now.....

For a factory rifle, I have heard those Long Range 700s shoot ½ MOA out of the box. You could just leave it factory for now then build on it as you go on.

Of course I'm prejudiced against R700s. I have 4 but I don't consider them "keepers". Just easier tools for experimentation than Weatherby's.

IIWM it would be Vanguards.

For the 6.5 get a Synthetic VG2 in 6.5CM. Drop it in the stock you want. Bed the lug and Float. Tune the trigger and shoot it. If shoots, leave it alone. If not, change the barrel. If you go with a Pac-Nor prefit, probably cheaper overall than a R700 based build. Especially if you can find one used.

For the 7Mag, do the same or get the VG2 RC. A little heavier than your 7lb goal but still quite doable.

For a factory rifle, I have heard those Long Range 700s shoot ½ MOA out of the box. You could just leave it factory for now then build on it as you go on.

Hey Judd, definitely wish it were that simple, but my choices are 3006 and magnums.

I am wanting a nice, light recoiling shooter with excellent 1k potential for steel. Not competition, mind you, but still.

The 06 comes closest with heavier bullets....don't have my ballistics program available at the moment, but still...recoil wise, there is no competition. In fact, I think the 7mag might be better, but again, I am not at my ballistics program just now. If I remember correctly though...on an 11 pound rig, the 65 has 9.5ish pounds vs 17 for the best 7mag load I could find that would do the job.

Otherwise, yeah, I would just buy the Long Range rifle and be done with it. Not that I am averse to recoil overly...my last rifle was a 9lb 375. But in this gun, I am looking for something I can shoot all day long and not get worn out. I am not sure that a 7mag or 3006 would do that for me....not sure they wouldn't either. Just don't know. But I know a 65 would work.

Oh, and I hate muzzlebreaks....so that's a no no for me.

But if the consensus is...yeah, an 10-12 lb 7mag or 3006 would work just fine...hell, I'll get that. It would make my life way less complicated!

Of course I'm prejudiced against R700s. I have 4 but I don't consider them "keepers". Just easier tools for experimentation than Weatherby's.

IIWM it would be Vanguards.

For the 6.5 get a Synthetic VG2 in 6.5CM. Drop it in the stock you want. Bed the lug and Float. Tune the trigger and shoot it. If shoots, leave it alone. If not, change the barrel. If you go with a Pac-Nor prefit, probably cheaper overall than a R700 based build. Especially if you can find one used.

For the 7Mag, do the same or get the VG2 RC. A little heavier than your 7lb goal but still quite doable.

You know, I too really love Vanguards. I bought one for my son and fell in love with it. The stock fits me better than the straight comb Winchesters that I sold off, partially due to my experience with the Vanguard. Doesn't hurt that his gun is a genuine .5-.75 inch 3 shot grouper...even though I am really not very good and have done no load development. That was just a simple....throw together a starting level reduced recoil load and see what happens deal. 130 accubonds over a light load of 4064, and it does really well. I actually shot 6 shots with 3 different increments of that load (half grain difference in each), and the group was .8 inches.

But while I know they make a 65...and that was where I started...the problem is the barrel is very light. I am looking for a heavier contour that will handle the heat of an extended day of shooting in Texas summer. I asked the custom shop what they could do...nothing. So I am looking at other options.

As for the 300/7mm, I am really enamoured of the back country. My only concern is they take a light barrel and make it more whippy by fluting it. Will it shoot well? Many of the reviews I read seemed to have a problem reaching the level of accuracy I am looking for. One guy I talked to that had one, it shoots great...so who knows.

So I talked to the custom shop about using that same ultralight stock, using a standard #2 contour barrel and then range certifying it for me. The cost was something like 1050 when I discussed it with them in the summer. If I added the cerecote, it would be, I think, around 1300 or so. Their prices appear to have gone up since then, but that was where I was heading for my hunter.

In fact, originally, I had a line on an RC'd 308 varmint gun, for $600. So the plan was to have that rebarrelled to a 65. Then have a 'hunting' rifle built in the 7mm/300 backcountry vein. The idea was having identical triggers and super close stocks so I can practice with the 65 to improve my hunting with the other rifle. Since that time, I have found that while the BC version of the WB stock fits better than the standard remchester stocks, the M40 stock fits me even better. But I do prefer the look of the back country, just like that stock's look better, personally. But fit over form, right?

So all that is to say...I like Weatherbys and Vanguards. But at the moment, it looks like doing it with a Remington is the most efficient way to skin my particular cat! But I am open to suggestions. I still need to reach my gunsmith and verify what we talked about pricewise some months ago. It could be he will pitch a different deal that might change the facts on the ground.

And if enough people with more experience than me (not too hard to achieve) can convince me that a 3006 or 7mag would suffice just fine as an all day long range shooter for the range, well, I'd rather go that way for simplicity's sake. They have a nice accuguard down at Cabelas to consider as well....and I found a pretty good deal on a Sako LR hunter. But that Rem Long Range really makes the most dollars and sense....pun intended. I can pick one up for 725, tax and all.

Hey Judd, definitely wish it were that simple, but my choices are 3006 and magnums.

I am wanting a nice, light recoiling shooter with excellent 1k potential for steel. Not competition, mind you, but still.

The 06 comes closest with heavier bullets....don't have my ballistics program available at the moment, but still...recoil wise, there is no competition. In fact, I think the 7mag might be better, but again, I am not at my ballistics program just now. If I remember correctly though...on an 11 pound rig, the 65 has 9.5ish pounds vs 17 for the best 7mag load I could find that would do the job.

Otherwise, yeah, I would just buy the Long Range rifle and be done with it. Not that I am averse to recoil overly...my last rifle was a 9lb 375. But in this gun, I am looking for something I can shoot all day long and not get worn out. I am not sure that a 7mag or 3006 would do that for me....not sure they wouldn't either. Just don't know. But I know a 65 would work.

Oh, and I hate muzzlebreaks....so that's a no no for me.

But if the consensus is...yeah, an 10-12 lb 7mag or 3006 would work just fine...hell, I'll get that. It would make my life way less complicated!

My bad, I forgot you were looking for a 6.5 haha. Too bad they don't have a short action Long Range Model 700, would like to see it in .260 Remington and some of the short action magnums, especially the 7mm SAUM, I really like that round!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.