Help with finding rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

Ok thanks for the help! The only other gun im interested in is the DPMS in a creed. What are your thoughts on this gun? The only thing i dont like is how heavy it is. Do you know how they shoot?

I have the DPMS in .243 win. Shoots sub moa pretty easily. Shorter barrel= less velocity (not a bunch). they're heavy pigs & are harder on brass. As long as you don't mind chasing your brass all over heck, it'll do it's job.

It (most likely) will not be as accurate as the LRH.

t

I picked up a savage lrp in 6.5 creed. Easy 1/2 moa gun. A little heavy but shoots everything I've fed it so far really good. Haven't shot any factory loads just handloads. 140 amax, 140 berger and 130 berger. all 1/2 moa or better. Came with a nice Hsprecision stock, target trigger. I dropped it in an xlr chassis, love it. Figured on the excess weight when the time comes I'll re-barrel with a little thinner profile and still have the target trigger when I'm done.

Thanks guys. I think ill probably go with the savage. But then again i was told by someone else that for about 1000 bucks i could custom build a rem 700. I have no idea how it would shoot though. And savage has a reputation for being tack drivers so ill probably still go with the savage.

Forget both those rifles and go buy a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator. Be sure it's the Predator not just a regular old Hawkeye. You will not regret it, and you can thank me later. Plus you won't be stuck with an ugly gun.
hawkeye-predator.jpg

Here us a photo of one of mine in the field. Dang accurate and a holy terror on coyotes!
TroyCoyote2-9-13A_zpse4da76f7.jpg

Forget both those rifles and go buy a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator. Be sure it's the Predator not just a regular old Hawkeye. You will not regret it, and you can thank me later. Plus you won't be stuck with an ugly gun.
hawkeye-predator.jpg

"... You wont be stuck with an ugly gun." Nope, just one the aftermarket laughs at & some gunsmiths turn their nose up when brought in.

Controlled round feeding- Very cool, nothing wrong with that.
Investment Cast actions- No thanks.
3 action screw (at least on the ones i've played with)- PITA.
Integral scope mount- Would be great if it was Picatinny... I don't care for this setup.

I've seen a couple Rugers with custom barrels that hammer. Then again, I've only seen a couple custom Rugers in my entire life.

Will it shoot? Maybe. Will it keep up with the LRH? My Fantasy Ante says not in this life time.

Big Sky, i'm not busting your chops, i'm just putting my .02 in the mix. If it were up to me we wouldn't be going Savage or Ruger but down the custom road, alas. :cool:

cheers,

t

Outlaw, I can't agree with you in regards to the Predator. For run of the mill Ruger 77's especially older ones I'm right there with you, but not for the Predator. First off, let me state I am NOT a Ruger fan. I make only two exceptions when it comes to their rifles. One is the 10/22, I mean everyone should have one or more. They are just plain fun to shoot. The other is the Predator. Will it shoot? My experience is most definitely. Here is the very first 3 shot group out my .204 Ruger using plain-jane Hornady ammo 40gr Vmax. Could reloading tighten it up even more? Perhaps, but who cares it's plenty accurate for the limitation range of a .204.
group1_zpsab0286ae.jpg

As for your other concern's. Investment cast actions are not my favorite either, but we are talking about a short action here and not a super high pressure magnum. Regardless I still like it better than those butt-ugly Savage actions (of which I own several). All my Savages shoot really well and ugly me to death every time I look at them.

Three action screws, well it is what it is. A PITA perhaps, but in all reality not a very big one. That is getting borderline knit picking. I don't like the angled action screw but it can be bedded like any other action it just takes a little more attention to detail.

As for the Picatinny mount. You can buy a Picatinny mount to intall over the integral mount so that makes it a non-issue if one wants a Picatinny.

Lastly, I own two Predators and plan to buy at least one more. I also have 3 close friends that use Predator's. All of our rifles, without exception, shoot as well as the target I posted. Some even better with the group being just one enlarged hole. So they must being something right with their barrels these days. On that note the absolute worst rifle I ever shot "group wise" was a Ruger 77 walnut stocked rifle made in the 80's (before Ruger made their own barrels). It was a total *** as were a number of other 77's I have shot. The Predator is a different animal. As for gunsmith's turning their noses up and laughing. Well unlike the last 5 Remington's I bought I can't think of a reason why I would need to take it to a gunsmith, other that to possibly add an adjustable comb or have the trigger fine tuned. (Though the ladder may not even be needed.) I will stand by my opinion that it IS a better rifle than either the Savage and the DPMS. In fact, if you want to buy a Predator and trade me for one of my Savage rifles I'm all for it. :)

Outlaw, I can't agree with you in regards to the Predator. For run of the mill Ruger 77's especially older ones I'm right there with you, but not for the Predator. First off, let me state I am NOT a Ruger fan. I make only two exceptions when it comes to their rifles. One is the 10/22, I mean everyone should have one or more. They are just plain fun to shoot. The other is the Predator. Will it shoot? My experience is most definitely. Here is the very first 3 shot group out my .204 Ruger using plain-jane Hornady ammo 40gr Vmax. Could reloading tighten it up even more? Perhaps, but who cares it's plenty accurate for the limitation range of a .204.
group1_zpsab0286ae.jpg

As for your other concern's. Investment cast actions are not my favorite either, but we are talking about a short action here and not a super high pressure magnum. Regardless I still like it better than those butt-ugly Savage actions (of which I own several). All my Savages shoot really well and ugly me to death every time I look at them.

Three action screws, well it is what it is. A PITA perhaps, but in all reality not a very big one. That is getting borderline knit picking. I don't like the angled action screw but it can be bedded like any other action it just takes a little more attention to detail.

As for the Picatinny mount. You can buy a Picatinny mount to intall over the integral mount so that makes it a non-issue if one wants a Picatinny.

Lastly, I own two Predators and plan to buy at least one more. I also have 3 close friends that use Predator's. All of our rifles, without exception, shoot as well as the target I posted. Some even better with the group being just one enlarged hole. So they must being something right with their barrels these days. On that note the absolute worst rifle I ever shot "group wise" was a Ruger 77 walnut stocked rifle made in the 80's (before Ruger made their own barrels). It was a total *** as were a number of other 77's I have shot. The Predator is a different animal. As for gunsmith's turning their noses up and laughing. Well unlike the last 5 Remington's I bought I can't think of a reason why I would need to take it to a gunsmith, other that to possibly add an adjustable comb or have the trigger fine tuned. (Though the ladder may not even be needed.) I will stand by my opinion that it IS a better rifle than either the Savage and the DPMS. In fact, if you want to buy a Predator and trade me for one of my Savage rifles I'm all for it. :)

:) I appreciate the honest debate, thank you.

I still find it hard to see why it's a better rifle than the Savage (DPMS ok, you win). Does it shoot any better? No. Better looking? Maybe. Cost? I can't answer that, don't know what they cost.

Your "ugly me to death" statement made me laugh. My latest Savage is a spitting image of those 4 words... but dang does it shoot. I have a custom or two that are decent though.

What does the Ruger offer that other doesn't (I totally agree with your Remington statement, god help them).

The Savage LRH offers a built in Muzzle brake, while not necessary, you can turn it off if you don't like it. The three screws are a PITA for sure; why work with them when you don't have to? As for the action, pressure is pressure right? It's bolt thrust that the big mags add... yet they offer the Ruger in any commercial cartridge I can think of (458 etc). I understand that Investment casting is pretty well different than "normal" casting but I still fear the unknown.

How are the new Ruger triggers? The last one I worked with reminded me of the new X-Mark ..... junk :D. I guess it wouldn't be hard to drop in an aftermarket.

In most short action cartridges, I wouldn't have a problem with bolting a picatinny mount to top of the Ruger but I do have to question it's strength compared to the more "conventional" methods.

Thanks for keeping it light, sometimes it's hard to explain one's opinion without coming across as an ***.

t

group1_zpsab0286ae.jpg

Im not a Ruger fan either but I like the Predator. As far as holding your noses at "castings"...this aint the 1950s guys and investment castings ( look up why they are called investment) done properly as as good as any action material and better than some. The 6.5 Creed I can take or leave...dont matter to me...I pondered over the caliber and finaly went with the 260 Remington. Just so you know where Im coming from...I dont like Savages and wouldnt have a DPMS or any other of those WW5 rifles in my house!

Im not a Ruger fan either but I like the Predator. As far as holding your noses at "castings"...this aint the 1950s guys and investment castings ( look up why they are called investment) done properly as as good as any action material and better than some. The 6.5 Creed I can take or leave...dont matter to me...I pondered over the caliber and finaly went with the 260 Remington. Just so you know where Im coming from...I dont like Savages and wouldnt have a DPMS or any other of those WW5 rifles in my house!

Good to know, I don't think i've seen a Predator on the shelf, then again, I'm used to walking right past the Ruger rack.

The 'Creed is just another way of doing what the 260 had been doing for quite a while, I like it.

lightbulbWW5 rifles lol Don't worry buddy, i've got 4. I guess you're covered.:cool:

t

You pose some good questions. I will do my best to answer.

First the trigger on the Predator is not the new Ruger trigger. It has a target grade two-stage trigger which I MUCH prefer. I used to shoot a RRA AR with a match grade two-stage and got very used to it. Anymore I find myself annoyed with single staged triggers. Now that might just be me, but as a hard core coyote hunter I really, really, really prefer a quality two-stage trigger. The Predator has just such a trigger. A second major plus of the Ruger Predator is that the barrel is right between a standard weight and a heavy barrel. Pretty close to a magnum contour. It settles in very nicely off a bipod for longer shots, but it's light enough to pack around all day. My biggest gripe about most varminter or LR rifles is they are too heavy to be a practical carry rifle. This rifle is a good balance between the standard weight rifles that are too light for long range and the bull barreled canons. I also very much like the laminate stock on this rifle. It is very comfortable and ,to me, very pleasing to the eye. It fits me very well. So well in fact that I killed 16 coyotes in a row before I had one get away and then killed 7 more before my next miss. I haven't had that good of a track record with any other rifle I've ever owned. Cost wise the Predator is right around $800.00. Taking into consideration the original poster of this thread said he was in school and had a $1200.00 budget that would leave him with $400.00 to put okay glass on his rifle. If he had a bigger budget I'd recommend a custom rifle as well, but I'm trying to stay within his limitations and give him what I think is a better choice than the DPMS (not a fan at all) or the Savage. Okay I think I covered most everything. Oh and btw, I never slowed down walking past the Ruger's either, until one day I accidently picked up the Ruger Predator thinking it was a different brand of rifle. One squeeze of the trigger and I was hooked. I have not be disappointed. It sure did take a leap of faith to buy that first one though, as I really didn't like Ruger 77's and had not had a positive experience with them prior to the Predators.

You pose some good questions. I will do my best to answer.

First the trigger on the Predator is not the new Ruger trigger. It has a target grade two-stage trigger which I MUCH prefer. I used to shoot a RRA AR with a match grade two-stage and got very used to it. Anymore I find myself annoyed with single staged triggers. Now that might just be me, but as a hard core coyote hunter I really, really, really prefer a quality two-stage trigger. The Predator has just such a trigger. A second major plus of the Ruger Predator is that the barrel is right between a standard weight and a heavy barrel. Pretty close to a magnum contour. It settles in very nicely off a bipod for longer shots, but it's light enough to pack around all day. My biggest gripe about most varminter or LR rifles is they are too heavy to be a practical carry rifle. This rifle is a good balance between the standard weight rifles that are too light for long range and the bull barreled canons. I also very much like the laminate stock on this rifle. It is very comfortable and ,to me, very pleasing to the eye. It fits me very well. So well in fact that I killed 16 coyotes in a row before I had one get away and then killed 7 more before my next miss. I haven't had that good of a track record with any other rifle I've ever owned. Cost wise the Predator is right around $800.00. Taking into consideration the original poster of this thread said he was in school and had a $1200.00 budget that would leave him with $400.00 to put okay glass on his rifle. If he had a bigger budget I'd recommend a custom rifle as well, but I'm trying to stay within his limitations and give him what I think is a better choice than the DPMS (not a fan at all) or the Savage. Okay I think I covered most everything. Oh and btw, I never slowed down walking past the Ruger's either, until one day I accidently picked up the Ruger Predator thinking it was a different brand of rifle. One squeeze of the trigger and I was hooked. I have not be disappointed. It sure did take a leap of faith to buy that first one though, as I really didn't like Ruger 77's and had not had a positive experience with them prior to the Predators.

Thank you for all the info on this rifle. I never considered Ruger til you brought up the predator(not a fan of ruger AT ALL, rifles or 10/22). Ill definitely be doing some research on this rifle. It definitely is a good looking gun. Love laminate stocks. I would love to custom build a remington 700 but i cant afford that and buy a half way decent scope so thank you for taking that into consideration. It sucks being a college student!!!! So i think i might be leaning toward this rifle since how its waaaaay better looking than the savage and seems to be a shooter.

There is nothing wrong with due dilligence. :cool:

I truly hope Ruger has stepped up their game, they needed it.

Keep us posted as you do your thing & make your choice.

t

There is nothing wrong with due dilligence. :cool:

I truly hope Ruger has stepped up their game, they needed it.

Keep us posted as you do your thing & make your choice.

t

Thanks outlaw will do. The toss up is savage or the ruger and i agree ruger really do need to step up there game. I myself also walked by the ruger rack at the gun store but this rifle has sparked my interest. There will be lots of research on my part before i make my decision. The problem is that there are many new rifles coming at in this caliber every year so it makes the decision even harder. If i had the money id build a 700 in a heart beat. but being in school and having a girlfriend that wants to get married when im done school i need to save my pennies. From what i understand and the reseach ive done to build that rifle wont be cheap. So i need a cheaper gun that i can put a 400-500 scope on it. Any suggestions on what scope i should get? i was looking at a Weaver super slam in a 3-15x42mm. Any thoughts on this scope or should i look else where?

I cannot comment on the Weaver, I have never used one.

I would start by cruising the classified's. I'm actually running a Vortex Viper PST on my 6.5 Creed'. Pretty decent scope for the $$ (except it's foreign made) & seems to do the job. This is the 4-16 I believe with the illuminated SFP reticle, it's a couple hundred more $$ than what you've stated but It's the cheapest i've run.

I personally believe that your rifle is only as good as your optics, sub par optics lead to sub par shooting, IMHO. If you need to save for a little while longer, please do so. Find an optic (there is nothing wrong with used) from a reputable company, research that optic. There's a good chance that someone's done a review at some point in time.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts