Help with encore 204

long range engineer

I have a encore with a thompson center 204 barrel. I was trying to sight it in today and at 25 yards and the bullets were tumbeling. The holes in the paper were very keyholed. I am shooting factory hornady 40 grain loads. I have not done anything to the rifle other than mount my scope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Give the barrel a good cleaning with a carbon remover is the standard answer but it don't sound like you got enough rounds down the barrel for that to be a problem......Still worth a try! Another thing to check is the crown?
You may also wan to give the 32 grainers a try?
I like the 204 but its a fussy devil sometimes!!

LRE, the Encore barrels chambered in 204 have a 1/12" rate of twist and sometimes they won't stabilize the 40 grain bullets. Bullets making keyholes in the target means the barrel is not sufficiently stabilizing the bullets. I have the Encore Prohunter barrel in 204 and it will shoot the 40 grain Hornady V-max very well from my handloads, though I don't know if it the extra 2" of barrel length or what that makes this possible. As posted by MachV, maybe you should try a bullet with less mass/length and see if that will remedy this.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts